Pizza Box v2.0 Class D amp project

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
Re: Pizza Box v2.0 Class D amp project
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2023, 07:15 pm »
Any more progress on this Rich? How is it working out for you?

HAL

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jun 2023, 10:57 am »
Leo,
Ran out of time to finish and test them before the 4 day drive to Dallas for LSAF2023. 

Room is setup for Day 1 of the show.  It sounds really good with the Starkrimson monoblocks driving the planars!  :)

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #42 on: 2 Jun 2023, 11:04 am »
Leo,
Ran out of time to finish and test them before the 4 day drive to Dallas for LSAF2023. 

Room is setup for Day 1 of the show.  It sounds really good with the Starkrimson monoblocks driving the planars!  :)

Have fun and good luck.

HAL

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jun 2023, 12:10 pm »
Leo,
Thanks!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jun 2023, 07:06 am »
I am about to be as bad as HAL.

I am thinking of using my "plastic" cardboard speaker box project, and I will probably use the guts from a computer sub-woofer as a full range mono amplifier.

HAL

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jun 2023, 11:46 am »
I used school pencil boxes as project boxes when I was young.  Hard to beat at around $0.50 each.

Working on the new fanless SMPS for PBA v2.1 to try.  The fans in the 600W units are very loud, so have 500W fanless supplies to try.  Not using that much power, so should be fine.  Will be testing those soon.

HAL

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jun 2023, 10:54 am »
Back from LSAF2023 and now for some more fun with Pizza Box Amp v2.1.

These are the fanless SMPS for +/-36V at 1kW DC output.  Should do well up to 500W without a heatsink or chassis mounting for trials.

They have adjustable output voltage, so will be making sure both sides are as equal as possible.

Next to wire them up for testing with a resistor load check. 

HAL

« Reply #47 on: 29 Jun 2023, 09:13 pm »
Time to get back to the amp project.

Will be wiring up the new Mean Well fanless SMPS this weekend and give them a try.  Just reusing the wire harnesses from the original SMPS for testing then some listening.

The MG10QR's should be a great test using these on the bass panels and the original Starkrimson monoblocks on the quasi-ribbons. The dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover is ready to try driving the amps in a biamp then triamp system.