Miller and Kreisel S1-b's and virtue 2.2

Rclark

Miller and Kreisel S1-b's and virtue 2.2
« on: 22 May 2015, 08:45 pm »
I sold my Ncores to have a little extra money on hand while transitioning into a new job,  but will buy more soon.

Meanwhile I've pulled out my modded Virtue Two.2 on ClarityCaps, and instead of putting it on my Maggies, where I know it would lack the ooomph, I put it on a pair of my S1-b's. Powering 4 drivers per bookshelf, after warmup, the Virtue amp has proven to really shine with this speaker, and as an amp, is much more impressive than I remember when comparing Ncores with the Maggies.

I'm using my Astron linear supply, and while the Virtue can't really compete at higher volumes, and does clip, at normal levels, with these speakers, it is definitely an audiophile grade amp, and I actually find myself saying, this is the Virtue? Very nuanced, delicate, dimensional sound. Certainly outclassed by Ncores, but a fine amp and worth the price, if you don't need much power.

I spent about $1000 total on mine with mods and different power supply options, including battery. Which would bring things up even further than the Astron, I'm just to lazy to hook all that up.

Rclark

Re: Miller and Kreisel S1-b's and virtue 2.2
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2015, 04:02 am »
OK, so I've had some time to reacquaint myself with my Virtue amp. I have a few more points to make.

In its "powerband" it truly is an audiophile quality amp. Very refined and articulate with my 2 tweeter 2 mid M&K speakers (much credit to these astonishing speakers). Not much power or punch, not even the same galaxy as Ncores but within a small window the Virtue is itself astonishing and very 3D and textured. Beautiful sounding.

On Maggie's though, forget it. This would be considered minimum power.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Miller and Kreisel S1-b's and virtue 2.2
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2015, 04:59 am »
Reza,

Agree with your thoughts and thanks for sharing.  I actually have Maggies now and they need lots of power.

Tommy would be very curious about your NCore experience.

Seth