Still modifying Sony SCD-1?

SWG255

« on: 7 Jan 2004, 03:31 am »
Greetings:

Now that I'm starting to get used to my VMPS RM40s, I've discovered that I can hear the "processed sound" often cited as a problem with the stock Sony SCD-1. So, in light of the fairly high cost of buying a new SACD player, or a universal player like the Esoteric DV-50, I'm thinking about having my Sony SCD-1 modified.

Do you still modify this player? I looked on your website, but didn't see pages describing the mods, although there were references to them. Perhaps i didn't dig deeply enough, sorry if so.

If you are still doing the mods to the Sony SCD-1, can you either describe the mods or point me to where you describe them on your site?

Thanks very much.

SWG255

Re: Still modifying Sony SCD-1?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:10 pm »
OK, I finally followed the "products" mouse-over and found the information on the mods for the SCD-1. My screen reader wasn't giving me the proper information about them at the top of ModWright's pages.

The "Absolute Truth" mod is too rich for my blood right now, having just dropped $5,500 for the RM40s.

What are the relative sonic benefits of the cheaper modifications, i.e. the parts upgrade and the upgrade with Bybees and the Super Clock II?

Thanks again.

modwright

SCD-1 Mods
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2004, 08:17 pm »
I would certainly recommend the Superclock upgrades, AC bybees installed and parts upgrades, including upgrading I-V stage op-amps to OPA627 modules as well as Black Gates installed in key locations.

You will get better bass response, a lower noise floor, improved dynamics and detail with better microdynamics and overall resolution.

Please let me know if you would like to have the work done.

I don't know what you are using for a preamp right now, but in lieu of the A.T. mods, you might consider part or all of the mods listed above, paired with our Beta SWL 9.0 linestage w/PS 9.0 power supply.  The circuit is very similar that which is currently used in our Absolute Truth mods and the Beta units are only $600.... (Production units will be $1200-$1400 and will be available in the Spring of this year).

Thanks,

Dan W

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2004, 08:33 pm »
Got any pictures of the Beta preamp?  Also, are there any Beta testers in the Chicago area?

Thanks,
Jack

modwright

Pictures of Beta Preamp
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2004, 06:53 pm »
I do have a basic picture of a unit shipped to a recent customer.  I am not sure how to upload it here, but if you e-mail me at modwright@yahoo.com, I will gladly e-mail it to you.

Thanks,

Dan
[/img]