Dual 12" OB H-Frame Construction

cody69

Re: Dual 12" OB H-Frame Construction
« Reply #60 on: 10 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm »
Cody698,  I found this  which may interest you, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ1H3_uv2uE

Thanks for posting this. The video is interesting and the miter corners look like a good approach when the sides of the grills meet at a rectangular corner.
Did you use this method with the slightly rounded corners you have on the H-Frame?

Captainhemo

« Reply #61 on: 10 Aug 2014, 05:46 pm »
Thanks for posting this. The video is interesting and the miter corners look like a good approach when the sides of the grills meet at a rectangular corner.
Did you use this method with the slightly rounded corners you have on the H-Frame?

Yes I did, or at least I tried  ....  .  As mentioned,  I really  didn't   cut the original piece wide enough, if it had been   a couple inches wider it wold have  looked much better as I could have  trimmed up the   rear so much  nicer. 
With the rounded corners,  you do still get a lttle  bunching, but if you really pull it and use just a dab of adhesive on the back right at the corner,  it works quite well.

This is embarragsing, but  :wtf:    I have no clue as to why I struggle so much doing these....

-jay

monte

« Reply #62 on: 10 Aug 2014, 07:27 pm »
If somebody asks to see the back of your grill,throw them out. Good job

Guy 13

« Reply #63 on: 10 Aug 2014, 11:21 pm »
Hi Jay.
If you don't like the way the back of your grills look like,
I can relieve you of the shame you might suffer when your friends
will see the back,
by taking them away from you. :lol:
Nice job, if I was you I would be proud, look nice from the front.  :thumb:
I don't even have myself any grills, even after two years of the original built.
Next step, the drivers ?

Guy 13

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 10 Aug 2014, 11:38 pm »
Yes I did, or at least I tried  ....  .  As mentioned,  I really  didn't   cut the original piece wide enough, if it had been   a couple inches wider it wold have  looked much better as I could have  trimmed up the   rear so much  nicer. 
With the rounded corners,  you do still get a lttle  bunching, but if you really pull it and use just a dab of adhesive on the back right at the corner,  it works quite well.

This is embarragsing, but  :wtf:    I have no clue as to why I struggle so much doing these....

-jay

Jay,

As long as it works what does it really matter? After all, you don't see the back side of the grill frame.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #65 on: 10 Aug 2014, 11:56 pm »
yup, I hear what  you guys are saying and you are right, it looks good from the ront and  it will finction as  planned.  I guess it is more about improving each time I build one of these and while the wrapping did go better,  it  did not  come out as I had hoped, in that way it is disappointing. 
When I look back at  what I did with the N3 grills, (my fist grills)   the improvement is dramatic, I really need to redo those for my folks but again, they also look fine from the front.

Guy, depending on how your  cabinets are  finished,   it may not be overly difficult to do  frames for  them.    If they are veneered,  you can always get those  push in/on type  fastners , if painted you could use a similar  technique  that I used and  clamp the  frame in  place before drilling small through holes to mark the locations of the magnets.  Once the magnets are in place, it would be a matter of  touching up  the paint and  a little cut polishing 

-jay

Guy 13

« Reply #66 on: 11 Aug 2014, 03:34 am »
yup, I hear what  you guys are saying and you are right, it looks good from the ront and  it will finction as  planned.  I guess it is more about improving each time I build one of these and while the wrapping did go better,  it  did not  come out as I had hoped, in that way it is disappointing. 
When I look back at  what I did with the N3 grills, (my fist grills)   the improvement is dramatic, I really need to redo those for my folks but again, they also look fine from the front.

Guy, depending on how your  cabinets are  finished,   it may not be overly difficult to do  frames for  them.    If they are veneered,  you can always get those  push in/on type  fastners , if painted you could use a similar  technique  that I used and  clamp the  frame in  place before drilling small through holes to mark the locations of the magnets.  Once the magnets are in place, it would be a matter of  touching up  the paint and  a little cut polishing 

-jay

Hi Jay.
When it comes to woodworking or DIY projects,
I am a BIG ZERO.
I don't have four fingers and one thumb, I have five thumbs per hand.
The Vietnamese cabinet maker uses those little push in the hole devices
and they never hold in place the grills,
what I did to solve that annoying problem is to add lots of Velcro strips around the grills,
it holds everything in place, but it also create a gap,
but looking at the grill from the front, it does not show, same as yours.
So, no problem, I'm happy.
As for the grills on my V2 Ferrari red speakers,
I have the cloth, I have the Velcro, I am only missing the 1/4" MDF or plywood, which is inexpensive
on this planet.
The only other thing missing I the courage or the get and go to start the project.
Like I say before and I am repeating myself (Normal I am an old fart) next step, the woofers.

Guy 13

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 11 Aug 2014, 03:58 am »
Sorry man, yup, next step is the woofers,    just been  a slight delay in getthing them ( nothing to do with Danny btw) but  soon enough, soon enough   :)

-jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #68 on: 27 Aug 2014, 08:54 pm »
Got my parts  from my buddy at the coast about a week ago so I've put a bit of time  on the subs and am  loving them  :drums:

First, here a few pics
After installing the drivers,  I cut  all the no rez, 8 pieces 6.25" x 13" and 8 pieces 6.25" x 11".  I then cut  a 1.25 strip  of the foam (leaving the dampening layer)  off each piece to leave  clearence front and back.

Here is the rear after the no rez. The  upper side pieces of no rez  were  just slid into place  until  the wires were actually sodered. I used the  quick clips on the driver to make sure I had all the wiring correct before sodlering.

Front view after it's all soldered up.  We went and forgot the  shrinktube  :duh:

Used a handy 4-pole quick connect for the  wiing to the amp  which I got from Danny with the  rest of the parts

Grill  with the GR logo of course 

The H Frame has  blended so seamlessly with my OB7's it's amazing.  It actually seems like  I have no subs,  but all the suden  the OB7's reach way down deep.  I was telling Ron that the bas from the H Frame  is very similar to the mid bass produced by the 4  M130X drivers in each  OB7.  It is so clean and well defined, the detail is wonderful, brings a whole new "layer"  to the music that I didn't even know I was missing.  Plus, at moderate and lower listening levels,  pretty much all the boom is gone from ny room ,  it starts to creep back in a bit when  I start rolling over the volume dial but  I'd imagine that is mostly due to the lack of   treatment in my room.

My previous sub was based on the  SDX 10 driver  which is a push/pull  (XBL2 motor)  driver and I always thought it sounded pretty good. It actually does sound prety good compared to some other subs I have heard but  it's not in the same league by any means as  this design. 

Truely impressive Danny  :thumb:
-jay

Oh, if I am not using the  RCA outs, should I have the  amp's low pass slope set to  EXT/12 or does it matter ?  .  Funny, with some  music  I prefer the EXT/12 setting, with other  music I prefer tje 80/24

monte

« Reply #69 on: 27 Aug 2014, 09:12 pm »
Great job Jay. Now get to listening.

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 27 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm »
Oh, if I am not using the  RCA outs, should I have the  amp's low pass slope set to  EXT/12 or does it matter ?  .  Funny, with some  music  I prefer the EXT/12 setting, with other  music I prefer tje 80/24

The EXT/12 setting means the crossover slope is 12db per octave and controlled by the crossover dial on the amp.

The 80Hz/24 setting adds an additional 12db per octave slope at 80Hz plus whatever you do with the dial.

The 50Hz/24 setting adds an additional 12db per octave slope at 50Hz plus whatever you do with the dial.

There is no right or wrong setting.

bdp24

« Reply #71 on: 28 Aug 2014, 12:10 am »
The sub not only blends sonically with the speakers Jay, but cosmetically too. Very nice! Did you put spikes on the bottom of the H-Frame?

Captainhemo

« Reply #72 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:09 am »
Thanks guys,

Danny, I'll  continue to play with it and see  what works best then, I know it probably shouldn't be but  it is a bit confusing  when  one isn't used to making these adjustments to the slope

bdp24,  yes, I did install inserts in the base for the spikes,  just haven't threaded the spikes in yet althugh they are sitting right here,  Once installed,  the  base height of the  H Frame will be equall to that of the  OB7. 

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:22 am »
Jay,

Looks really good. What is the purpose of the 4-pole quick connect?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #74 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:45 am »
Jay,

Looks really good. What is the purpose of the 4-pole quick connect?

Mike

Quick connect/disconnect  the  amp from the cabinet   :lol:   Sorry man, couldn't resist !

2 driver coil leads, 2 servo coil leads, just the one connector.   The female side of the connector is permanently installed in the side of the amp enclosure ,  the leads coming from the cabinet   are attached to the male  side

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4mp-speakon-connector-4-pole-panel-mount--092-052
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190

Works well

-jay

Guy 13

« Reply #75 on: 28 Aug 2014, 01:51 am »
Hi Jay.
Really nice work.
Now with those subwoofers you will be able to really enjoy the classic:
Fanfare for a common man !

Guy 13

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:11 am »
Quick connect/disconnect  the  amp from the cabinet   :lol:   Sorry man, couldn't resist !

Ha Ha, you funny man  :icon_lol:

Didn't realize you needed 4 wires for the servo units. Did you hard wire the leads to the cabinet so you only have one connection or did you put a female connector on the cabinet as well then make the connecting wires an interconnect with male connectors on both ends? Or would that degrade the signal?

Mike

Ron

« Reply #77 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:34 am »
  Your entire speaker system looks great Jay! You did an excellent job building all of them.  :thumb: Only wish that I lived close enough so that I could see and hear them in person. Thanks for posting pictures during the build for everyone to see.

Captainhemo

« Reply #78 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:38 am »
Ha Ha, you funny man  :icon_lol:

Didn't realize you needed 4 wires for the servo units. Did you hard wire the leads to the cabinet so you only have one connection or did you put a female connector on the cabinet as well then make the connecting wires an interconnect with male connectors on both ends? Or would that degrade the signal?

Mike

Not sure how much  the extra connector woould degrade the signal, but no,  I  didn't put a female  connector in both the cabinet and the amp enclosure.  The wires are just hard wired into the cabinet with the male connector  that plugs into the amp enclosure..  For movng, the  wires and connector actually will coil up and  sit inside the lower   rear  "box" ... not that I am planning on movng theiis much, it is  friggin' heavy.

Ron,  thanks  for the comments  man,  I too really wish we were closer so we could  hang out, would be cool  :beer:

-jay

Guy 13

« Reply #79 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:48 am »
Not sure how much  the extra connector woould degrade the signal, but no,  I  didn't put a female  connector in both the cabinet and the amp enclosure.  The wires are just hard wired into the cabinet with the male connector  that plugs into the amp enclosure..  For movng, the  wires and connector actually will coil up and  sit inside the lower   rear  "box" ... not that I am planning on movng theiis much, it is  friggin' heavy.

Ron,  thanks  for the comments  man,  I too really wish we were closer so we could  hang out, would be cool  :beer:

-jay

Hi Jay.
I have hard wired my V1 top and bottom because the Rythmik plate amplifier is attached to the enclosure,
therefore, no need to use those nice looking connectors.
Danny supply them to me with the purchase of the V1 but never used them.
I know the audio purists will be horrified when I tell them that my V1 are on wheels,
but I will not break my back moving those super heavy monsters
and since the little Vietnamese are no help for me,
because they cannot lift anything heavier than a bowl of rice, I cannot rely on them for help
and I have to do it myself.

Guy 13