Wants and Needs: HT2-TL vs SongBirds

ricardojoa

Re: Wants and Needs: HT2-TL vs SongBirds
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:12 am »
I don't think the HT1TL is more appropriate for a large room than the SongTower.  Although the HT1TL will go lower, the trade off is reduced power handling compared with an MTM design, or a an MT tuned higher than the HT1.  The ST is considerably more sensitive and will play louder for a given wattage input.  Bass power handling is an issue only when there's no sub in line, however.  But even with a sub, there's no reason I can think why the HT1 would be better suited for a large room than the ST.

i get your point, but regarless of room size and sub, shoudnt the ht1tl offer better sound quality?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:57 am »
i get your point, but regarless of room size and sub, shoudnt the ht1tl offer better sound quality?

I guess.  It's been a long time since I compared them.  The Seas Excel woofer has lower distortion than the ER15 used in the ST, and perhaps better transient response, but it's larger, which means poorer dispersion, and then there's the whole MT vs. MTM thing, which means very different radiation patterns.  I really think the HT1TL is best thought of as an excellent full-range system that wasn't meant for wham bam ram it Sam where are my ear plugs-does Blue Cross cover ear damange-type reproduction in a large room. 

ricardojoa

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:54 am »
I guess.  It's been a long time since I compared them.  The Seas Excel woofer has lower distortion than the ER15 used in the ST, and perhaps better transient response, but it's larger, which means poorer dispersion, and then there's the whole MT vs. MTM thing, which means very different radiation patterns.  I really think the HT1TL is best thought of as an excellent full-range system that wasn't meant for wham bam ram it Sam where are my ear plugs-does Blue Cross cover ear damange-type reproduction in a large room.

I wouldnt expect the ht1tl to play loud but i would guess those seas excel to be superior to the er15.

fsimms

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm »
I did a comparison of a pair of domed SongTowers and my HT1’s a few years back.  As a summary, I found the HT1’s had an excitement that the SongTowers couldn’t match.  Just my opinion, as I was just a freak for that excitement.  The only thing I would change in the review is that the superiority of the HT1’s didn’t have anything to do with the ribbon tweeter.  It was due to the midrange driver.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44172.0

Bob