Cleaning Baskets and drivers?

gnatster

Cleaning Baskets and drivers?
« on: 28 Feb 2022, 11:53 pm »
I regularly dust but I've noticed that the drivers and baskets tend to collect dust rather quickly. A feather duster is not quite reaching into the crevices in the basket. Plus I'm worried about my ham-fistededness causing self-inflicting damage. How do y'all clean the backside?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Cleaning Baskets and drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2022, 11:55 pm »
Swiffer duster.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2022, 01:16 am »

mrotino332

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2022, 12:45 pm »
I actually cover my X5s when not in use with the large plastic bags that the speakers came with.  My speakers are in a dedicated basement so it doesn't matter to me what the speakers look like when not in use.  However it may not pass the WAF if your speakers are in a  more visible part of the house.  I did notice in the beginning that they did pick up some dust so decided to cover them when not in use.

Tarheel

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2022, 02:45 pm »
I wonder if cans of compressed air would take care of the dust being very careful not to get too close?
I have a friend with Martin Logan ESL-9s who keeps them covered due to the dust issue.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:20 pm »
I use a round artists brush, soft bristles (~ 2" long), medium stiffness, to dislodge dust and keep the nozzle of the canister vacuum cleaner hose a couple of inches back. The brush will clean all the nooks and crannies on the basket and the magnet structure, as well as the speaker binding posts and other tiny spots beautifully. The vac hose sucks it up into the filter bag without letting the dirt loose into the room. I do this every 2 weeks usually, but since spring pine pollen is about to start up here in Carolina, it might be every few days! I hadn't thought of the Swiffer - might do the trick also. Spray air can will disappoint you IMO. Happy spring listening!  :)

bbybaudio

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2022, 01:41 pm »
My wife made covers using oversize pillow covers from Bed, Bath and Beyond, just cut a 12-15" slit

up the back so they go over drivers.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2022, 01:47 pm »
Nice covers!! your wife is has got good imagination & skills!  :)

mrotino332

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2022, 02:13 pm »
Nice covers. They look much better than the plastic bags that came with the speakers that I use to cover them.  My system is in the basement so it is not a concern for me but in a nicer room I would use your covers.

Emil

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2022, 03:27 pm »
My wife made covers using oversize pillow covers from Bed, Bath and Beyond, just cut a 12-15" slit

I see a business opportunity  :D

russellreich

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2022, 03:09 pm »
I was thinking of using a cleaning gel on my X5s, like they make for car detailing. Amazon sells one called ColorCoral that looks like it would do the trick. Anyone see any downside to this solution?

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2022, 10:32 pm »
I was thinking of using a cleaning gel on my X5s, like they make for car detailing. Amazon sells one called ColorCoral that looks like it would do the trick. Anyone see any downside to this solution?
For the satin paint finish, Clayton recommended I use Mothers Showtime which is used for cars.  I would check with Spatial Audio before you commit to anything.

AllanS

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2022, 11:45 pm »

Nice!  My wife only tolerates the speakers.  They’re not in plain sight so I use the plastic bags also.  But that’s just putting off the inevitable.

Bingenito

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2022, 01:45 am »
Now this reminds me of being a kid growing up in NY and having to sit on furniture with plastic covers in Brooklyn.  :lol:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2022, 01:52 pm »
The Mothers instand detailer or Meguiars Final Inspection would work just fine. Make sure to use clean ultra soft microfiber towels and wipe over again with a clean dry one at the end so as not to leave the speaker sticky feeling.

mrotino332

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2022, 02:22 pm »
Haha Bingento brings back memories, I'm come from a very Italian family as well and all of my parents friends and my parents covered their furniture in plastic and I also recall sitting on plastic back in my childhood.  One of my aunts still has her living room furniture covered in plastic that no one ever sits on.