Solid state choosers

LesTal

Solid state choosers
« on: 5 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm »
Are music listeners who have chosen non-tube electronics less vocal about their equipment preferences than tube choosers? Just wondering.

Phil A

Re: Solid state choosers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2019, 11:32 pm »
Welcome to AC!  I have a bunch of systems.  A couple have tube components and some do not.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2019, 12:59 am »
Are music listeners who have chosen non-tube electronics less vocal about their equipment preferences than tube choosers? Just wondering.

Welcome, and no. :D
Many folks here love their solid state gear. I'm a Pass / First Watt fan myself and have observed no less vocalization of fandom of solid state gear vs tube gear. I'm curious about your question.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2019, 11:01 am »
Seems like minorities are more vocal in many aspects of life. 

Certainly by market share you can read more about tubes than solid state.  Main reasons that come to mind:

1.)  The ability to customize sound/performance of the piece by swapping tubes;

2.)  Need to periodically replace tubes versus solid state that is pretty much a 'set it and forget it' proposition;

3.)  More variations of tube based circuit design to compare;

4.)  In the matter of power amps, tubes are known to have poor damping, which leads to flabby bass, so matching to speakers/rooms is a consideration that gets discussed;

5.)  Tubes also seem to draw more of the DIY crowd who use the internet to learn and share their craft;

6.)  The vintage crowd tends to be more tube based which have greater need for help due to age of the gear;

7.)  Solid state performance shouldn't change much over the life of the piece while tube gear is constantly changing as the tubes wear out. 

So in general there's less to talk about with solid state. 

LesTal

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2019, 11:52 am »
That was a great answer! Thank you.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC LesTal   :thumb: 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2019, 02:57 pm »

I've owned more tube than SS amps and I am very picky about SQ. Having said that I've probably been more vocal about my latest SS amps than any of my previous tube amps.  :D