$629.00–$4,499.00
Holy - S%&T

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Speaker Cables for Super 6 Alnico Floorstanders
« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2014, 07:41 pm »
Well, the SMSG cables are 50% more than that.  :green:

You do know speaker cables can hit well over the $20k mark? And the SMSG cables are going to perform as well as cables that are many multiples of it's price. For the performance you get spending $5-7k on the 14 gauge SMSG cables is actually a great value for some systems.

Luckily, with Omega speakers you'll only need the 20g versions of the SMS or SMSG that are closer to $1k. 14 gauge uses 4 times the wire of 20g, which is why the difference in price is so large. Louis has a set of D4 ICs and SMSG SCs, he feels they are priced fairly for what you get.

I have been astounded at how the Omega speakers react to upgrades... they just keep getting better and better. There doesn't seem to be a point of diminishing returns where the speaker just isn't capable of resolving the differences the upgrades make. If you use world-class components with Omega speakers you will get a world-class result... it is also true some of these components will cost more than the speakers, which seems strange, but this is the conclusion I've come to... at this point the cheapest component in my system is $2k and I'm probably using $4-5k worth of cables. The result is really amazing!  :D

Also, the 17g SL cables are certainly the best overall value and are a great match with Omegas as well. Those start around $300 ish.

doggie

« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2014, 01:21 pm »
I posted a follow up in the ZenWave forum for trying out the ZenWave DD's and the D3's .

Rather than double posting here is the link.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129023.new#new

Thanks to those who offered ideas!

vinagunner

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2014, 11:19 am »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 04:11 am by vinagunner »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:48 pm »
Very interesting cables, Dave.

Will you please tell the differences between your cables and those form http://www.aurealisaudio.com.au . I'm asking because you both use Neotech UPOCC Wires.

Thanks.

The construction of the wire I use and the connectors are much different... Most of my cables are made of either

- UPOCC copper litz wire, which is difficult to work with but is an improvement over regular wire. The 14g litz wire is my OEM product, nobody else has it.

- OCC silver/gold alloy wire used in my cables is also an OEM product, so nobody else has that wire either. It's much more expensive and sounds better than UPOCC silver.

I use 4 runs of 28g silver/gold signal wire in my D3 and D4, plus I use much heavier gauge ground wires, and multiple runs there too. The connectors I use are also higher end and much more expensive. My D1 cable would be better than most of their range, as it uses UPOCC copper litz wire + UPOCC copper Furutech RCA plugs. My DD and D3 will probably be a good bit better than any of the cables they offer, which is fair as it's more expensive too, and my SL speaker cables will be cleaner and more accurate since it's made with the litz wire, and again are sold with higher end connectors. Aurealis does offer fair prices though, and for folks just needing basic cables I think they offer some good products. They just don't offer anything that's going to perform much beyond the D2 level of my IC lineup and my litz speaker cables will work better than conventional wire cables with single driver and simple/efficient multi-way speakers.

vinagunner

« Reply #25 on: 1 Oct 2014, 06:31 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 04:10 am by vinagunner »