A second review of the new DVA 225 Monoblock amps

gene9p

Re: A second review of the new DVA 225 Monoblock amps
« Reply #100 on: 3 Jul 2023, 10:27 pm »
I see a few demos for sale..would they be a good match for my Harbeth 30.2's 40 th anniversary speakers..I am using a Mac C2300 tube preamp with built in Phono...

thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #101 on: 3 Jul 2023, 10:34 pm »
They should be a good match with the Harbeths which I personally find a little laid back sounding in the systems I heard them.  The 225's are very dynamic sounding.

gene9p

« Reply #102 on: 3 Jul 2023, 10:40 pm »
thanks...I'm a bit lazy about the no 12v trigger lol...but I survived with my Pass XA25 which I did NOT like with the Harbeths but sounded great with my rebuilt Snell JIV's... I think they can be returned but I will contact VA b4 I decide to pull the trigger.

motorbykemike

« Reply #103 on: 3 Jul 2023, 11:31 pm »
i am looking for input impedance values for these 225 monos

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #104 on: 3 Jul 2023, 11:40 pm »
i am looking for input impedance values for these 225 monos

Call or Email Frank VA. 

gene9p

« Reply #105 on: 4 Jul 2023, 02:06 pm »
I emailed Frank but with the Holiday I don't think he's around till Wednesday...I will call as well

gene9p

« Reply #106 on: 5 Jul 2023, 03:38 pm »
anyone compare them to PS Audio M700 monos?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jul 2023, 03:45 pm »
anyone compare them to PS Audio M700 monos?

My son bought a pair of the M700's and returned them.  They sounded a little better than his Parasound A21 but he had all sorts of problems with ground loops and issues with his DAC causing buzzing that we could never figure out.  Also, with female vocals it was peaky or sharp sounding.

With that being said, my best friend bought a pair and loves the M700's and he had no issues.  He eventually traded them in for the M1200's though.

gene9p

« Reply #108 on: 5 Jul 2023, 07:28 pm »
thanks..still waiting to hear from Frank about return policy on Demos/used on his site...some 225's available

WGH

« Reply #109 on: 5 Jul 2023, 07:34 pm »
I haven't heard a bad amp in years but I have liked some amps better than others. The only way to find out is to listen in your system at home.

I haven't heard the DVA225, the AVA Vision SET 400 is a winner and matches perfectly with my Salk HT2-TL speakers.

I had the PS Audio M1200 in my system for a week, that's a good amp too but the AVA just sounds better with the Salk's.
Review: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.msg1856501#msg1856501

The M1200 sounds better driving Eric's HHR Exotics TLS-1 speakers (a modern version of the Ohm F). The speakers are an inverted single cone, full range and really need the power and quickness of the M1200 amps.

I've heard PS Audio's other amp, the BHK Signature Stereo 250 at Frank Alles' house (Stereo Times Senior Editor) driving his Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers, that's a nice amp too. So nice that Paul McGowan, PS Audio CEO, prefers it to the M1200 in a recent video.

Stellar M1200 or BHK 250?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LHsrNRN7JA

And I still prefer the Van Alstine amps.

gene9p

« Reply #110 on: 6 Jul 2023, 02:06 pm »
I still haven't heard back from Frank..does anybody know the return policy on their demos..I know it's 30 days for new products but not sure what policy is for their demos/used
thanks...

avahifi

« Reply #111 on: 6 Jul 2023, 03:38 pm »
AVA satisfaction guarantee applies to demo units too.

Note that you will get a a quicker response from me if you email e directly at frank@avahifi.com.

I don’t visit AudioCircle every single day and sometimes miss individual messages here.

Frank

gene9p

« Reply #112 on: 6 Jul 2023, 10:29 pm »
I did....several days ago....figured you were busy around the 4th that's why i got no response..or my e-mail got spammed lol

thank you

Matthewnz

« Reply #113 on: 8 Feb 2024, 06:34 pm »

I've used the M225s in my system for a little over three weeks and continue to be amazed by the outstanding audio performance of these amps.

I purchased the M225s to replace my primary stereo amp, a PS Audio BHK 250.  For four years I was more than pleased by the sound qualities of this amp in my system but had continued reservations about the heat produced with the potential for degradation of it's electronics, energy consumption (75 watts in standby mode) and it's 83lb. weight.

After a short period of looking about I decided to return to using monoblock amps and came upon reviews and references to the AVA M225s.  The compact form, attractive price and favorable comments regarding sound quality are what attracted me to this product.

I was expecting to take a hit in sonic performance in exchange for units that are more physically manageable.  Did I ever get this wrong!  With my associated equipment and the room I listen in, I've never thought I'd experience the sound qualities this combination produces.  Previous power amps I've used didn't produce the clear, expansive soundstage and vibrant timbral qualities of instruments and voices I get with the M225s in my system. 

This product renews my faith in recorded music.

whitebird

« Reply #114 on: 25 Feb 2024, 04:42 pm »
Just a quick post to provide some long(er) term feedback on the M225s.  I have owned a pair since September 2021 and they mate with my Fleetwood Deville speakers.  To me, the amps provide everything I am looking for in a modern day amp -- dimensional sound, definition in the mid bass, clear treble, and beautiful midrange soul all wrapped up in a lightweight package.  With my speakers (94ish db/8 ohms) I have never felt the amps warm to the touch even at some impressive volumes in a pretty large space. 

So, if you are on the fence in wanting to try these amps -- I suggest you take the plunge with the one of the best audio buys in the market today.