Opinions on subs to mate with the Super 3

GHM

« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2005, 03:54 pm »
Hello bsuhy..glad to see you narrowing them down. I got a feeling the HSU will be going back too. There's just a different kind of bass between sealed and ported. Ported is great for movies where more SPL is needed. But for music it really causes the sub to drag a bit. Making it sound like it's lagging just behind the speakers.

If you like the Acoustic sub and you have room... try them in stereo. Man you will surely be in for a treat running dual subwoofers off the left and right outputs if you have an extra set . If not use y splitters off your audio outputs... It allows both subs to work more efficient. There's less distortion also . Bass is faster and tighter when the subwoofer only handles one audio channel. Unlike pumping both channels into one subwoofer with only one woofer to handle both signals.The  difference in sound would be like running both your channels through one Omega speaker and then running it through two.It's hard to explain..but once you hear it you will understand.

Good luck

bsuhy

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2005, 04:14 pm »
Thanks GHM.

This is my first sub, and I have some reservations about hook-up.

My preamp does not have a sub out, so I am wondering what the best way to hook everythhingg up is.

Can I run a "Y" cable from the outputs of my pre, sending one on each side to my amps, and the other to the sub?

thanks

B.

GHM

« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2005, 05:07 pm »
Yes you sure can. Not sure about that particular sub. But I know the Ravas give you an extra 6 db boost when you run rca outputs into both left and right inputs of the sub.

bsuhy

well, i chose a sub....
« Reply #23 on: 6 May 2005, 03:12 am »
i ended up liking the sealed acoustic visions mrs-10 sub over the hsu.

the hsu actually had some impressive slam and overall i liked it, but i think that for my music tastes.

ghm was right, it sounded like it was a bit slow, a bit behind the speakers with its timing.

no matter what i tried i could not get hsu sub to disappear like the mrs-10.
i was always aware when the hsu was in the system, and the mrs-10 was more cohesive and less sloppy, and let me listen to the music, instead of drawing my attention to the fact that there was a sub in my system.

i almost kept the hsu, thinking i could move it over for home theater duty, but i dont have a home theater yet. so my wife, in her infinite wisdom, said, "keep the sealed one, send the HSU back, and buy *another* sub when we get the HT hooked up."

i knew she was a keeper.

thanks to everyone for their feedback.

brian