Klaus has his new products at Montreal..see pics ...

Marbles

At this Soundstage review.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2003/mtl_showstop2.shtml

New from Odyssey Audio are the 110Wpc Khartago amplifier ($750)...

...and the Etesian "relay-switched passive" preamp ($275). The two are available along with Odyssey Epiphony speakers and Gronenberg cables for a hard-to-believe system price of $1500.

I can't wait to see all the cool toys in Lima!

Rocket

query
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2003, 12:42 am »
hello marbles,

this is probably a stupid question but what is a 'relay switched passive preamp'.  if the preamp is passive how come it has a transformer inside the chassis?

thanks for the pictures.

regards

rod

eico1

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2003, 01:06 am »
Those relays must really need some juice!:)

steve

Marbles

Re: query
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2003, 01:08 am »
Quote from: Rocket
hello marbles,

this is probably a stupid question but what is a 'relay switched passive preamp'.  if the preamp is passive how come it has a transformer inside the chassis?

thanks for the pictures.

regards

rod

Rod,

All very good questions.  Sorry I can't answer any of them as I have not seen these products yet.  Klaus mentioned that he was coming out with them, but he gave me very few details.  The pics and quotes came from the Soundstage Montreal show coverage.

I will see Klaus at the Midwest Audiofest in a week and ask him if he does not respond here first.

Sorry I cannot help.  The transformer in the passive has me a bit puzzled as well.

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2003, 07:35 am »
I broke another rule of audio: Listen before you buy.

I spoke with Klaus last week and got my name added to the list for the Etesian. My understanding is that the relays are for switching in/outputs. The large toroid is not there for feeding an active stage or anything like that.

I may have this completely wrong though.  :D

Ron D

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2003, 04:47 am »
I met Klaus at the Montreal show and thought he put quite a bit of effort in his room as compared to many others who just threw their gear into theor room and hoped for the best. Klaus really did a nice job given the space he had to work with. As to his gear I was impressed especially at their pricepoints!

I too questioned the transformer in his "passive" preamp. Was informed that a much smaller version would be in the final product. Never got a chance to hear the passive but did enjoy the Tempest, Stratos and his new 110 w/ch amp the Khartago. Was quite suprised at the accuracy of his speakers and can attest that he puts a nice little package together including cables - volume discount of sorts in a 1 stop shopping trip! I can easily see why he has such a devout following as his passion for the science and art of audio translates into great products. Are there better out there - sure there are, but not a helluva lot if any at his pricepoints!!! He needs to start thinking about an integrated!

He's a trip to say the least...