BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

Marius

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #320 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:44 pm »
Ok James, Thanks.

Your Cd-Rips  folder sounds familiar ;-)
It's more the scenario after that that im interested in. If id need my Mac for ordering the rips from the  Cd-rips folder into the library, there wouldn't be much of an advantage to using the BOT. On the contrary, it would complicate things unnecessarily.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi

Have to ask Chris on some questions. I just move my rips to a folder called CD Rips.

James

Marius

« Reply #321 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:54 pm »
found the network info on page 36: 2 gigabit ports. No worries there then.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi

Have to ask Chris on some questions. I just move my rips to a folder called CD Rips.

James

brystoned

« Reply #322 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:06 pm »
Couple questions re BOT-1

Why is the circuit board blue when other Bryston circuit boards are green ?

Could you post a picture of the wall wart ?

What is the total price for the BOT-1 at 1295 plus the BPS-3 power supply ?

Ed

Krutsch

« Reply #323 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:38 pm »
HI Krutsch,

Which drive are you using? for $50 id like to try the new features. $1300 seems very very steep for a cd ripper that does noting else but rip and enable playing a cd through the BDP. Id like to see/test the power of its ripping software, and how it holds up to the features and ease of use of XLD and the likes.

One of my main concerns is where the ripped tracks are stored, or are they stored at all ? Whats your experience up to now?

Thanks,
Marius

Any of the USB 2.0 drives will work, AFAIK. I use this one: http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BP50NB40 ... which was $80 US at BBY. It's very quiet and fast; powers just fine from the upper, back USB port on my BDP-1. Yes, it's cheap looking, and that matters to me, so I am interested in adding a BOT-1. I would be interested to learn if there are other advantages to the BOT-1, technically speaking, over a cheap spinner.

James has answered some of your questions, regarding usage, but my experience has been a good one. I buy a LOT of used CDs from local stores and Amazon, so I am sort of ripping all of the time. I've ripped directly to a flash drive or a hard drive and then rebuild the Bryston DB (which is very fast now, with the latest BETA).

CD Playback is a really nice feature; the sound quality is identical to ripping beforehand and playing back from your storage. A really fantastic concept from Bryston which obsoletes dedicated CD players - except for the fact that I have a large collection of BD, SACD, DVD-A and DVD Video discs, in addition to Redbook CDs. So, I have a stand-alone SACD player and a Blu-ray player, in addition to the BDP-1... it all takes up a lot of desk space:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #324 on: 28 Jun 2015, 05:00 pm »
Couple questions re BOT-1

Why is the circuit board blue when other Bryston circuit boards are green ?

Could you post a picture of the wall wart ?

What is the total price for the BOT-1 at 1295 plus the BPS-3 power supply ?

Ed

Hi

The BPS-2 power supply is not available yet so no price has been set - to early to say.

james

brystoned

« Reply #325 on: 28 Jun 2015, 07:01 pm »
Thanks James

Could you post a picture of the wall wart and advise why the circuit board is blue in colour instead of the usual green ?  :scratch:

Ed

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #326 on: 28 Jun 2015, 07:05 pm »
Thanks James

Could you post a picture of the wall wart and advise why the circuit board is blue in colour instead of the usual green ?  :scratch:

Ed

Hi Ed

Yes I can take a picture - it looks very conventional - but Chris designed it so I think it's his favourite colour (lol)

brystoned

« Reply #327 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:36 am »
Chris

Why is circuit board blue as shown in the video - is it different construction than green boards ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAimXXR71-0&feature=youtu.be

Ed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #328 on: 29 Jun 2015, 12:42 pm »
The colour of the resist is specified by the engineer and is limited by what the fabricator stocks.  In the past Bryston has normally not specified a resist colour and thus the fabricator assumes the traditional green.  I chose blue simply to be different and figured it would be the least resentful colour.

Marius

« Reply #329 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:24 pm »
Hi Krutsch, all,

Since i'm on the lookout for adding a bluray drive to my mac setups, i wondered whether these 2 drives would fit the bill for trying the MM ripping (BOT) features also:

Pioneer BDR XS06 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XS06
LG BE14nu40 http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BE14NU40

Anyone with any experience on these? Chris, might you have tested these please? Would these be successfully recognized by the BDP-1 MM software?

Thanks,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #330 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:42 pm »
I have the previous generation LG Super Multi Blue, externally powered drive, for ripping on my Mac Mini. It's TOTL, IMO. Very fast and reliable.

I see no reason why the Pioneer drive wouldn't work; it's USB 3.0, but should power just fine from a USB 2.0 (500 mA) port, from what I've read. This drive was on my short list, but I ultimately went with the LG portable because it has a manual, slide-out tray. YMMV, but I've experienced scratching on my optical plastic from slot-loaders. Maybe the TEAC drive Bryston has selected for the BOT-1 is higher quality and is immune to such issues.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #331 on: 29 Jun 2015, 02:34 pm »
Hi Krutsch, all,

Since i'm on the lookout for adding a bluray drive to my mac setups, i wondered whether these 2 drives would fit the bill for trying the MM ripping (BOT) features also:

Pioneer BDR XS06 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XS06
LG BE14nu40 http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BE14NU40

Anyone with any experience on these? Chris, might you have tested these please? Would these be successfully recognized by the BDP-1 MM software?

Thanks,
Marius

The LG looks like it had its own power supply, that would be the ideal choice for that reason.  I havn't seen an optical drive that didn't consume more then an amp and the BDP-1 really can't deliver more that.

Marius

« Reply #332 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:12 pm »
the Pioneer uses an ac/dc adapter of 5v 1.0 amp: page 11 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Business/BDR-XS06_OperatingInstructions121914.pdf
not familiar with the AVE, but seems nothing very special?

other than that it looks the lot... I understand your concern with the slot drive. Do you have any comments on the external sound the LG is making? Operational silence is of course a main concern..

Chris, you have no other remarks, besides the external power?

Thanks again!
Marius

I have the previous generation LG Super Multi Blue, externally powered drive, for ripping on my Mac Mini. It's TOTL, IMO. Very fast and reliable.

I see no reason why the Pioneer drive wouldn't work; it's USB 3.0, but should power just fine from a USB 2.0 (500 mA) port, from what I've read. This drive was on my short list, but I ultimately went with the LG portable because it has a manual, slide-out tray. YMMV, but I've experienced scratching on my optical plastic from slot-loaders. Maybe the TEAC drive Bryston has selected for the BOT-1 is higher quality and is immune to such issues.

Norton

« Reply #333 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:02 pm »
I was recommended one of these  for  replay quality on another forum:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/plextor-px-lb950ue-external-12x-blu-ray-disc-writer/All-Pages.html

Currently giving great results on CD replay with my BDP-2.  Seems to sound better with Esata than USB.

Marius

« Reply #334 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:09 pm »
Thanks, a great drive indeed. will consider it for sure.

remarkable difference between e-sata and usb though, would Chris see any reason for that?

the site pointed me to http://samsunghdd.seagate.com, M3 and P3 portable drives, just what i needed now one of my 2 passports is reaching its limits. 4tb per drive in 2,5 inch....

The Future is here, and it's a bright one!

Thanks to all,
Marius

http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/plextor-px-lb950ue-external-12x-blu-ray-disc-writer/All-Pages.html

Currently giving great results on CD replay with my BDP-2.  Seems to sound better with Esata than USB.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #335 on: 29 Jun 2015, 08:46 pm »
During testing i didn't find esata to be any faster then USB 2.0 for ripping an audio cd, seems that reading the data is the bottle neck not the bus that connects the drive to the BDP

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #336 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:19 am »

While Plextor used to manufacture some phenomenal drives years ago. They no longer manufacture optical drives at all. They purchase drives (usually LG), put a new face plate on, and then custom modify the firmware. That doesn't make their drives bad at all, but they do command a price premium that doesn't seem to translate in a performance improvement.

As far as audible noise goes, just slow the drive down (assuming the BDP doesn't do that already - Chris?). The noise optical drives make is mostly a result of how fast the disc spins. Slower spinning drive = less noise. Of course, the faster the disc spins, the faster your rip will go.

On the other hand, there's been plenty of discussion in the past about the possibility of faster rip speeds impacting audio quality. Unless the rip generates an error, I'm not sure how that'd be the case, but some report a difference.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #337 on: 30 Jun 2015, 07:30 am »
This particular drive is out of stock and not on Plextors products list anymore: http://www.plextor-digital.com/index.php/en/External-Blu-ray/px-b120u.html
Marius

While Plextor used to manufacture some phenomenal drives years ago. They no longer manufacture optical drives at all. They purchase drives (usually LG), put a new face plate on, and then custom modify the firmware. That doesn't make their drives bad at all, but they do command a price premium that doesn't seem to translate in a performance improvement.

As far as audible noise goes, just slow the drive down (assuming the BDP doesn't do that already - Chris?). The noise optical drives make is mostly a result of how fast the disc spins. Slower spinning drive = less noise. Of course, the faster the disc spins, the faster your rip will go.

On the other hand, there's been plenty of discussion in the past about the possibility of faster rip speeds impacting audio quality. Unless the rip generates an error, I'm not sure how that'd be the case, but some report a difference.

- Garrett

Norton

« Reply #338 on: 2 Jul 2015, 09:48 pm »
This particular drive is out of stock and not on Plextors products list anymore: http://www.plextor-digital.com/index.php/en/External-Blu-ray/px-b120u.html
Marius

I don't know if they are available new old stock anywhere still but I got a mint one on eBay for £60.
It does sound v.good with the BDP-2 to me and I like that it has a proper motorised draw rather than slot loading.  I'm also powering mine with an aftermarket LPS which does seem to improve SQ.

R. Daneel

« Reply #339 on: 3 Jul 2015, 07:49 am »

- Garrett

Hi Garret, I am not aware of any Plextor-manufactured drive at all. Even in the early days of CD-ROM drives with SCSI interfaces, the drives were made by either Hitachi or Sanyo. Plextor selected the best ones out of those but to my knowledge, never made the drives themselves. Hitachi ones in particular, were excellent with real ripping speeds reaching 40x on the outer rim of the disc. This was mostly due to the SCSI interface though as it was much faster and more importantly, a lot more consistent in data transfer than the then EIDE interface.

I've had other drives, like Pioneer slot-load DVD ROMs, that performed equally well as those old Plextors that required a separate SCSI controllers that plugged into one of PCI slots on the motherboard. Pioneer was more elegant as it was a standard EIDE drive, albeit less reliable due to it's slot-loading mechanism.

Speaking of LG, be aware of the fact some models have reversed channels so ripping music with these drives will result in the opposite channel panning. Ripping engines like EAC have a feature to remedy this problem.

Cheers!
Antun