DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2016, 12:35 am »
Harry Weisfeld of VPI seems to have played a lot with this as well. Basically his method combines a 60khz DIY UltraSonic cleaner, followed by using his son's, MW Cyclone for the final wash and vacuum. He himself states that he has not heard an audible difference between 40khz vs. higher frequencies.

Long thread here with a lot of questions answered: http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2289

Best,
Anand.

Nick B

« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2016, 06:27 am »
Thanks for those responses. That is what I was looking for and I'll check out those threads
Nick

xsb7244

« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2016, 01:55 am »

xsb7244

« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2016, 02:12 am »
more info on ultrasonic.

http://www.vibratollc.com/

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2016, 03:06 am »
Interesting read.  So the Chinese units may not have good quality control (surprise).  I can live with that for the price.  The tanks may erode... but not in my lifetime with the amount of use it will get in record cleaning.  So the real issue is does it work.  So far, the answer is yes.  I do use ear muffs while I am standing there slowing rotating vinyl.  When my 1 rpm motor arrives, I'll simply shut the door and leave the room.  I will say this though, my old Jack Russell terrier hates this thing. 

Nick B

« Reply #25 on: 4 May 2016, 05:09 am »
I am with S Clark on this. I did a quick search and couldn't find any prices regarding the Vibrato products, but let's assume it's 2 or 3 times the Chinese products. It's just more than I'd want to pay. I doubt if the ultrasonic going haywire would damage a record, but even then, it wouldn't be a deal breaker
Nick

GentleBender

« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2016, 09:32 am »
Vibrato's 69KHz and 80KHz are both $675.50. The parts should be more reliable, but that is quite a bit more expensive.

Nick B

« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2016, 03:11 pm »
Thanks for the pricing info, GB.

S Clark

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2016, 11:19 pm »

Ok, it's been about a month since I've put this together with hot glue, a Whataburger malt straw, a promo pencil, $126 U-sonic cleaner, and an $8 dollar rotissarie motor. 

I've probably cleaned 50-75 lps.  No doubt, it works and produced a quieter lp than standard VPI type cleaners. I usually set the timer at 3 minutes, sometimes 4.  I've filtered the solution three times without noticing any vinyl residue (I suspect that most of what comes off is tobacco smoke and dust).  Eventually I'll do a controlled experiment with vinyl and take microphotographs, but honestly I think Ill be wasting my time.  It doesn't create any audible degradation, and the cleaning is superior to  standard vacuuming.  For under $150.  Any questions?
The dog still can hear it and can't stand it.  He has to go in another room.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jun 2016, 11:41 pm »
Any reason not to use denatured alcohol as the base (besides being a fire hazard)?

S Clark

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jun 2016, 12:00 am »
I have read that it can dissolve some "plastisizers", whatever those are.  I simply followed some of the formulas that I found online-  mostly distilled water, a couple of cups of 95% isopropyl, and a dash of surfectant like photoflo. 

richidoo

« Reply #31 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:13 am »
Ok, it's been about a month since I've put this together with hot glue, a Whataburger malt straw, a promo pencil, $126 U-sonic cleaner, and an $8 dollar rotissarie motor. 

Wicked cool!!   :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:52 am »
Wicked cool!!   :thumb:
I have to admit, yes it is!  These things are stupid expensive when bought retail, but they can be made pretty cheap now that Chinese ultrasonic units have become available.   I still use a vacuum to quickly dry and get the solution off, but a spinner wouldn't be all that hard to rig up.  If you are a vinyl user, you've got to think about building one. 

Maritan

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:03 am »
This is fantastic. Got to find the DIY audio thread and start putting parts together.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #34 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:30 am »
This is too cool to leave off my list. Thanks (excitement and a little sarcasm, so many projects i want to do and time is limited).  Definitely on the summer list now.

How about attaching a blower, so instead of going to s typical vacuum machine,  we can use air to blow the liquid off.  Like at the end if a car wash.

https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Radial-Blower-Centrifugal-4-72x4-72x1-26/dp/B01CSNEO2G/ref=sr_1_79?ie=UTF8&qid=1465957368&sr=8-79&keywords=blower+fan

S Clark

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:41 am »
The blower should work quite well, especially if you could rig the rotisserie motor to turn the lp while the fan dried it. 

TomS

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:49 am »
I'd think a blower, while certainly removing fluid, would also draw any ambient dust and particles in and deposit them back onto the record surface.

S Clark

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:16 pm »
I agree.  Either a spinner or a vacuum would be the best solution. 
Here is a pic of the fit of the shaft into the connector (pencil & straw)  The spacers are the closed foam packing that came with the cleaner.  I figure that a wavelength of about 3 cm was needed for 60 KHz in water.  It's not exact since I didn't account for the alcohol, which should lengthen it a bit.   

TomS

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:38 pm »
I'm sure you've seen many of these buy options, but this guy had a nice solution, fairly easy to fabricate on your own from wood or plastic. He also sells the bits and pieces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161402849405?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #39 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:04 pm »
I agree.  Either a spinner or a vacuum would be the best solution. 
Here is a pic of the fit of the shaft into the connector (pencil & straw)  The spacers are the closed foam packing that came with the cleaner.  I figure that a wavelength of about 3 cm was needed for 60 KHz in water.  It's not exact since I didn't account for the alcohol, which should lengthen it a bit.   

Are these just standard pvc fittings?

http://www.hifigem.com/UpgradeHCAtoMKII.html