How Do I Remove a Woofer? (gotta perform maintenance on the crossover)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Sitrep:

I recently bought a pair of speakers from a guy in Canada. While in transport, some klutz dropped one of the 60-pound speakers resulting in very minor damage to the cabinet, but managed to dislodge the crossover from where it had been anchored. This is a 3-way speaker with an 8" woofer. I managed to remove the tweeter, but it's too small and too far away from the woofer to allow access to the crossover. The midwoofer is in its own enclosure inside the speaker cabinet, so removing it is of no help. I really need to get the 8" woofer out in order to access the back of the cabinet. The port is front facing, but it's small enough that I can't get my hand in far enough to mount the crossover. [Someone with slightly smaller hands might be able to help.] I can see a large inductor in the back of the cabinet. It's loose/not anchored.

I removed all 8 screws holding the woofer in place. I flipped the speaker front facing down and tapped/slapped the back of the cabinet. Nothing. I placed the head of a thin screwdriver inside different screw holes at an angle and pulled on the backet to no avail. The woofer seems to be very snugly seated.

Anyone got suggestions on how to encourage the 8" driver to slip out of its housing?

Thanks for any help.

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
It can be placed with glue or just pressure.
Also wiring may be short.
What is the loudspeaker?
Any photo?

mresseguie

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBAcoustics-3WC.htm

Important difference between the speakers in the link and my cabinets: My speakers do not have removeable back panels.

Short wiring isn't an issue here. The only way to access the interior is through the woofer hole. Clearly, the woofer was the last piece to be added.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

mresseguie

Pick Removal Kit

I don't know, Tyson. Those look kinda big.  :lol:

I'll swing by Harbor Freight to see if they've got something similar. Thanks for the suggestion!

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
Michael,

As FullRange Man states, many times they glue the speaker to the cabinet.  It may be glue or a foam adhesive which really secures it over time.  A pick as Tyson mentioned will help.  Please be careful if there is a wood veneer, as the adhesive may pull off the “wood.”  Heat may prevent this.  Good luck.

Ken

WGH

As your Mother used to say "Don't pick at it"

A glued in or stuck driver can be removed by screwing a large sheet metal screw into the mounting hole so it grabs the metal but not the wood underneath.

The screw head is then levered up using a pry bar. A block of wood and padding under the pry bar protects the cabinet. Von Schweikert uses this method to remove drivers in their speakers because they are glued in. You will probably have to go round and round a little at a time at each screw hole.

mresseguie

As your Mother used to say "Don't pick at it"

A glued in or stuck driver can be removed by screwing a large sheet metal screw into the mounting hole so it grabs the metal but not the wood underneath.

The screw head is then levered up using a pry bar. A block of wood and padding under the pry bar protects the cabinet. Von Schweikert uses this method to remove drivers in their speakers because they are glued in. You will probably have to go round and round a little at a time at each screw hole.

!!! Brilliant!!!   :thumb:

Thank you.