Small stereo for college dorm

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Small stereo for college dorm
« on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:18 am »
Granddaughter is heading to college (ALREADY???), and I'd like to give her a small stereo for Christmas.  I have several pair of small speakers (NHT, a.d.s., etc.) but I'd like a decent receiver/amp/whatever to run them.  Presuming she'll use her phone as a music source, but I have no idea what's flexible and current.  CD capability not important.  Suggestion welcome, and I'd be willing to buy something you might have sitting around.

Thanks!

Bob

TomS

Re: Small stereo for college dorm
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:27 am »
I bought both of my daughters (now 25 and 31) AudioEngine A5's to take to school. They both still use them to this day. Powered speakers with a BlueTooth dongle are great.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:35 am »
I tried to give my daughter a small stereo setup. She sent me a link to a bluetooth speaker. She loves it and uses it daily.

Does it sound good? She thinks so. And that's all that matters.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:40 am »

Brettio

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2018, 02:03 am »
I tried to give my daughter a small stereo setup. She sent me a link to a bluetooth speaker. She loves it and uses it daily.

Does it sound good? She thinks so. And that's all that matters.

Exact same experience.  I’ll bet a simple Bluetooth speakers gets much more use (especially if she’s in a dorm type setting).  My girls picked ‘Wonderbooms’ https://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/wireless-speakers/wonderboom.html   ...not my cup of tea but they get a lot of use.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2018, 02:35 am »
I was going to suggest a Bluetooth/wireless speaker too.

Alternatively, a pair of powered monitors could work quite well and be versatile. I bought a pair of M-Audio BX5s a few years back. They’re primarily used in my classroom (I’m a teacher), and I use them for parties. I plug in my work laptop from the headphone output in my classroom, and my iPod Classic at parties. No Bluetooth, but they go plenty loud for a dorm room sized space, and have been adequate for smaller party venues. Far better sounding than any Bluetooth/wireless speaker I’ve heard, dollar for dollar.

If you’ve got a guitar center near you, they typically have them on display. About $150 a piece/$300 per pair. I contemplated a single BX8 instead of a pair of BX5s, but went with the BX5 for size. The BX8 is a better speaker in every way and I still think maybe I should’ve bought a single BX8 sometimes. The BX8 is about $250 a piece.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2018, 03:57 am »
Without knowing your budget, take a look here-

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/integratedamp/home-audio/receivers-amps/integrated-amps/1.html

Marantz makes some nice sounding integrated amps.

I would also take a look at the Sonos play 1 and get a pair for stereo

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sonos-play-1-review/

Or this Apple HomePod-

https://www.stereophile.com/content/apple-homepod-smart-speaker

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2018, 04:46 am »
I wouldn't trust anybody at the college; not the roommate, not the friends, nor anyone attending with your equipment. Might get damaged or stolen.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2018, 06:17 am »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2018, 12:40 pm »
Kids today want access, not things. I think the wireless speaker/streamer idea should work nicely. Try one or more of these:  https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica/

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2018, 03:27 pm »
Also look here for Onkyo 2 Ch receivers with bluetooth.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_356350/Stereo-Receivers.html
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2018, 07:42 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

ebag4

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2018, 03:44 pm »
I bought my son the PS Audio Sprout, he uses Bluetooth from his phone using Tidal almost exclusively.  The sound from the sprout is really good, it should power most speakers easily and even has a phono preamp if that is something that may be needed down the road.

Now that he has graduated and in a house he still uses it to drive my old GR Research V1s.

Best,
Ed

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2018, 04:58 pm »

...Now that he has graduated and in a house he still uses it to drive my old GR Research V1s.

That's one heck of a starter set of speakers, Ed. 

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:40 pm »
That's one heck of a starter set of speakers, Ed.

Haha, yes it is.  Although his first set when he was a kid were PSB Alphas.

Best,
Ed

skunark

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:43 pm »
I remember a dormmate with two stereos driving six speakers from the same multi-disc cd player.  He never worried about noisey neighbors.   :lol:

Like everyone mentioned, bluetooth speakers, or wireless headphones and maybe a music subscription if Santa has the budget.   

If you are sold on giving her your speakers, i dont think you could go wrong with the marantz slim recievers.  It has Bluetooth, Airplay, several streaming services, and a radio but a TV might be necessary to set up.    They might offer an integrated amp as well with the same streaming features. 

Yatsushiro

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm »
I wouldn't trust anybody at the college; not the roommate, not the friends, nor anyone attending with your equipment. Might get damaged or stolen.

Blimey. Persecution complex or paranoia? get out much?  :roll:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm »
Blimey. Persecution complex or paranoia? get out much?  :roll:

Quite frankly, the mentality of people is worse now than it was long time ago (not just in college).

A stereo amplifier or integrated amplifier with some small speakers would be great. Perhaps a DVD player that can play CDs and perhaps USB drives. Cheap turntable (built-in phono via turntable or amplifier). Cheap and cheerful.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2018, 04:36 pm »
THANKS, ALL!!!

Found a reasonably-priced bluetooth speaker that matches her style.   I'll sell the small system I was planning on shipping her from my basement workroom.

Next is wireless headphones for my wife, so she can't hear my Maggies over her damned cooking shows...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2018, 08:33 pm »
UPDATE: 

Bought the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom recommended by Brettio, and am absolutely blown away.   GD cranked up a song from Beauty and the Beast and I got chills!  Blows away my boss's Bose Wave, and my wife's POS unlistenable Alexa/Siri device.

Bad news?  Now my wife wants a Wonderboom...

Not good deed goes unpunished.

Thanks to all the help from AC members!

Bob

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2018, 01:55 am »
Connect Meridian Express II to her laptop and add a good pair of closed headphones or earbuds.  I used headphones and speakers in college back in the 70's.  Speakers are nice but for noise control, cost, theft, portability, and space concerns you can't beat headphones or earbuds.