Linear Tube Audio Introduction

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
Re: Linear Tube Audio Introduction
« Reply #100 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:53 pm »
Happy to report that Part-time Audiophile has given the Z10 Integrated Amplifier an Editors' Choice Award.

"There’s a delicacy and authenticity to the Z10 Integrated that can’t be ignored. You’ve probably heard reviewers say how sorry they are to see certain components leave, but I feel like I have a hole in my heart where this equipment once made its home for a few brief and worthwhile months.

Highly recommended."

Read the full review here: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/12/08/linear-tube-audio-z10-integrated-amplifier-review/

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #101 on: 11 Dec 2019, 05:53 pm »
Attention headphone enthusiasts and the headphone-curious... Join LTA and a bunch of others THIS SUNDAY (December 15th) for a headphone meetup in Arlington, Virginia.

The selection of gear that you'll be able to sample is mind-boggling.

Headphones from STAX, Dan Clark Audio (fka MrSpeakers), Meze, Focal, Sony, Sennheiser, Shure, Audeze, Klipsch, ZMF, Audioquest, and others...

Headphone amps from LTA (of course), Headamp, Schiit, McIntosh, Chord, and others...

The great majority of this gear is brought by community members and fellow enthusiasts, and it's a great way to lay your ears on a bunch of great stuff.

All details can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dc-area-meet-december-15th-2019.919067/

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #102 on: 17 Dec 2019, 03:43 pm »
AVShowrooms just published their interview with Clayton (Spatial), Fred (LampizatOr NA), and Mark (LTA) from CAF 2019.

https://youtu.be/uoHakZ7yhvs

Yomaha

« Reply #103 on: 22 Dec 2019, 05:21 pm »
Hi Mark - very excited to see the Z40 integrated!  Will there be an inboard phono option?  Thanks

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #104 on: 23 Dec 2019, 02:22 pm »
Hi Mark - very excited to see the Z40 integrated!  Will there be an inboard phono option?  Thanks
Glad you noticed. We haven't officially announced these yet. :)

Yes, we'll be offering the same MM phono stage option as in the Z10 Integrated when this is officially launched.

For those wanting to step up (see what I did there) to a MM/MC phono stage, a new collaboration with Fern & Roby on a line of external phono stages is forthcoming very soon...

~  Nicholas from LTA

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #105 on: 2 Jan 2020, 07:46 pm »
Happy New Year, everyone!

LTA announced a couple new integrated amplifiers recently, based on the Ultralinear and ZOTL40 power amplifiers. We're very excited about these and initial response has been fabulous.

Ultralinear Integrated Amplifier: https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/zotl-ultralinear-integrated-amplifier
Z40 Integrated Amplifier: https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/z40-integrated-amplifier

As the names suggest, these new integrated amplifiers are based on their award-winning power amplifier siblings. They offer the same sonics of their predecessors, incorporating a Berning-designed preamplifier and LTA’s digital control system–beautifully packaged in a Fern & Roby-designed case.

If you follow the Daedalus Audio circle here, you may have seen a bundle that we put together as part of the launch. You get an Ultralinear Integrated + Daedalus Muse speakers for a great price. Worth checking out: https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/bundle-ultralinear-integrated-amplifier-daedaulus-muse-loudspeakers

~Nicholas @ LTA

« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2020, 01:49 am by jtnt »

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #106 on: 10 Jan 2020, 05:47 pm »
We’re excited to make our first visit to the Florida Audio Expo! Who's ready for Florida in February?!

We’ll be in three rooms with three of the most unique and innovative speaker companies we know, as well as a some other fun partners.

More details, including show specials, to come, but for now here are the basics:

Suite 605

This is a redux of the room at CAF that had many people, including Herb Reichert, saying things like “Best Sound at Show.”
(We still have a bundle going on this system, BTW: https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/spatial-m3-lampizator-amber3-lta-z10-integrated-caf-system)

Suite 404

Suite 1009

A look at the very unique MC Autotech Forty-10 speakers... They sound even better than they look.

Let me know if you'll be at Florida. Would love to meet in person.

~Nicholas @ LTA
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2020, 05:51 pm by jtnt »

aniwolfe

« Reply #107 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:33 pm »

Hello
I have had the pleasure of owning the Zotl 40 Mark II amp for about 6 months now. Best amp I have ever heard in my home. What I wanted to share with anyone that owns this amp, is to consider trying the Tung Sol 7581A reissue power tubes. I have compared it to almost every new production EL34 and GL Kt77. This Tung Sol 7581A power tube is also considered a KT66 variant, so not a EL34 tube. I believe it will lower the watts per channel to 35, but I have noticed I keep the volume knob the same as with the other tubes..so no issue for me. What I have found is this tube has a very well behaved manner without sounding boring. Sometimes I have found newer production tubes to inject a thin or glarey aggressive character at times. This 7581a has great dynamics with a natural smooth spacious sound.

Compared to the GL KT77 reissue, I found from top to bottom, the 7581a are much better balanced. The bass was more articulate, punchier, mids are clear but with weight and great natural tone, that is never forward or too laid-back. It's just right. The highs have decent extension but is more refined and smoother compared to the KT77. Another great thing about these tubes are the price...you can find them for as little as $90 for a quad. The GL KT77 are a good tube, but overall in my system a little too bright and messy. Overall this 7581a tube sounds like the best aspects of a KT88 (Bass) and EL34 (Mids) mix together, but with great refinement. Dynamics and musicality.

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #108 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:59 pm »

Hello
I have had the pleasure of owning the Zotl 40 Mark II amp for about 6 months now. Best amp I have ever heard in my home. What I wanted to share with anyone that owns this amp, is to consider trying the Tung Sol 7581A reissue power tubes. I have compared it to almost every new production EL34 and GL Kt77. This Tung Sol 7581A power tube is also considered a KT66 variant, so not a EL34 tube. I believe it will lower the watts per channel to 35, but I have noticed I keep the volume knob the same as with the other tubes..so no issue for me. What I have found is this tube has a very well behaved manner without sounding boring. Sometimes I have found newer production tubes to inject a thin or glarey aggressive character at times. This 7581a has great dynamics with a natural smooth spacious sound.

Compared to the GL KT77 reissue, I found from top to bottom, the 7581a are much better balanced. The bass was more articulate, punchier, mids are clear but with weight and great natural tone, that is never forward or too laid-back. It's just right. The highs have decent extension but is more refined and smoother compared to the KT77. Another great thing about these tubes are the price...you can find them for as little as $90 for a quad. The GL KT77 are a good tube, but overall in my system a little too bright and messy. Overall this 7581a tube sounds like the best aspects of a KT88 (Bass) and EL34 (Mids) mix together, but with great refinement. Dynamics and musicality.

Thanks for posting about this. The ZOTL40 runs its power tubes very near the max operating voltage of 800V for EL34/KT77 tubes. The 7581 has a significantly lower max voltage rating. Given the design of the amp circuit, this may not hurt the 7581, but it is not a tube we can recommend and we have not tested it in the amp.

~ Nicholas @LTA

aniwolfe

« Reply #109 on: 14 Jan 2020, 06:41 pm »
Thanks for posting about this. The ZOTL40 runs its power tubes very near the max operating voltage of 800V for EL34/KT77 tubes. The 7581 has a significantly lower max voltage rating. Given the design of the amp circuit, this may not hurt the 7581, but it is not a tube we can recommend and we have not tested it in the amp. The ZOTL40 sounds incredible with the 7581a. This tube is NO JOKE!

~ Nicholas @LTA

Hey Nicholas

I do recall talking on the phone with you before purchasing the 7581a to see if LTA gave the "Green Light" on this. If I remember correctly you asked Mark also Mr Berning (who was in the house at the time) and you said that it "should be ok", but I was warned that the watts per channel would decrease. If you feel this could now be a concern after about 3 months of daily use, please let me know. The last thing I want to do is potentially damage anyone's equipment or mine. Why can't LTA test these? The upside for LTA and customers are a less expensive tube with better sonics compared to the pricey less impressive GL KT77.

Regards
Tom

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #110 on: 14 Jan 2020, 07:01 pm »
Hey Nicholas

I do recall talking on the phone with you before purchasing the 7581a to see if LTA gave the "Green Light" on this. If I remember correctly you asked Mark also Mr Berning (who was in the house at the time) and you said that it "should be ok", but I was warned that the watts per channel would decrease. If you feel this could now be a concern after about 3 months of daily use, please let me know. The last thing I want to do is potentially damage anyone's equipment or mine. Why can't LTA test these? The upside for LTA and customers are a less expensive tube with better sonics compared to the pricey less impressive GL KT77.

Regards
Tom

Hey Tom. I was wondering if this was you. 👋

Since it was tentatively approved by David and has been operating without an issue, it seems that there's no reason for you to change. Since the amp was designed for EL34 tubes and the specs for the 7518a are notably different, it's not a tube we can pursue as a manufacturer. We have our hands full with EL34 varieties already! :)

Since you like the sound and there have been no operational issues I don't see a reason that you shouldn't continue using those tubes.

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks again for posting for us and others to know!

~Nicholas @ LTA

aniwolfe

« Reply #111 on: 17 Jan 2020, 04:30 pm »
Hello again and happy friday

So I wanted to mention something that I don't think is talked about regarding the LTA amps. That is...the Protection Circuitry. So the story goes like this. My friend just acquired a NEW quad of the Original Wing =C='s EL34. He lent them for me to try. (Can you say Guinea pig lol)  The date is 2011...that year is very hit or miss with quality control . So I plugged them in, started the amp up and within a minute, I heard what sounding like a distorted explosion. :( 
When I heard this, I ran to the amp and saw a LED light blinking on the circuit board. The text underneath the light said "Left Channel Protection" or something like that. So I then quickly turned the amp off. As you could imagine, I am thinking how much is this going to cost to fix. Well I am happy to report..NOTHING! This tube had a major meltdown and did not take out even a fuse on my Zotl 40. 

So my hats off to the Team LTA for creating what I consider to be the ultimate modern tube audio equipment. Its not just the great sound they produce, but the advancement of great techniques to prevent issues. Thank You LTA!

aniwolfe

« Reply #112 on: 17 Jan 2020, 04:36 pm »
One more thing! I am currently testing a New Production EL34 tube that is sorely never mentioned. The price is ridiculous low. This tube might just be the best power tube I have heard on my ZOTL 40. I am continuing to test and will report back next week.  :thumb:

aniwolfe

« Reply #113 on: 21 Jan 2020, 04:21 pm »
One more thing! I am currently testing a New Production EL34 tube that is sorely never mentioned. The price is ridiculous low. This tube might just be the best power tube I have heard on my ZOTL 40. I am continuing to test and will report back next week.  :thumb:
(Drum Roll) The new tube that is without question the best new production powertube for the ZOTL40 IMHO is the JJ EL34L. Most people shy away from this tube because of the price, which is crazy. These tubes on the ZOTL 40 are amazing. If you can't swing the $600-800 for a quad of XF2's...these are the next best thing at only $63 a Quad (fully tested) from VIVA Tubes. I have read that some actually prefer these to the Mullards XF2, but I am not hear to say they are, because I have not heard them in my amp. Just thought it was interesting.

Compared to the Tungsol 7581a...they don't have as much high end extension, bass is very comparable, but the midrange is king on the JJ's.

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #114 on: 22 Jan 2020, 05:49 pm »
(Drum Roll) The new tube that is without question the best new production powertube for the ZOTL40 IMHO is the JJ EL34L. Most people shy away from this tube because of the price, which is crazy. These tubes on the ZOTL 40 are amazing.

Good stuff! We'll have to pick up some of these and try them out. Thanks!

Nicholas @ LTA

whitebird

« Reply #115 on: 22 Jan 2020, 06:26 pm »
Since I have a new Z40 Integrated, I am interested in possible alternative tubes to the GL KT77 that come with the Z40i.  The amp sounds great but I have been looking at the Sophia Electric EL34ST as a good option.  It would be helpful if anyone has any experience with this tube, especially compared to the GL KT77.  Thanks

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #116 on: 22 Jan 2020, 08:46 pm »
Since I have a new Z40 Integrated, I am interested in possible alternative tubes to the GL KT77 that come with the Z40i.  The amp sounds great but I have been looking at the Sophia Electric EL34ST as a good option.  It would be helpful if anyone has any experience with this tube, especially compared to the GL KT77.  Thanks

Hey! We haven't tried these, but make sure the wider body of the Sophias will fit in the Z40 without touching the metal plate that sits right next to the tubes - and especially the impedance converters on the other side.

Nicholas @ LTA

whitebird

« Reply #117 on: 22 Jan 2020, 10:16 pm »
removed

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #118 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:40 pm »
Hello again and happy friday

So I wanted to mention something that I don't think is talked about regarding the LTA amps. That is...the Protection Circuitry. So the story goes like this. My friend just acquired a NEW quad of the Original Wing =C='s EL34. He lent them for me to try. (Can you say Guinea pig lol)  The date is 2011...that year is very hit or miss with quality control . So I plugged them in, started the amp up and within a minute, I heard what sounding like a distorted explosion. :( 
When I heard this, I ran to the amp and saw a LED light blinking on the circuit board. The text underneath the light said "Left Channel Protection" or something like that. So I then quickly turned the amp off. As you could imagine, I am thinking how much is this going to cost to fix. Well I am happy to report..NOTHING! This tube had a major meltdown and did not take out even a fuse on my Zotl 40. 

So my hats off to the Team LTA for creating what I consider to be the ultimate modern tube audio equipment. Its not just the great sound they produce, but the advancement of great techniques to prevent issues. Thank You LTA!

THANKS! The secret in all of our amps is that David Berning designed power supplies before he ever got into audio. :)

Nicholas @ LTA

jtnt

• Industry Participant
    • Linear Tube Audio
« Reply #119 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:17 pm »
For you electrostatic headphone fans, Audiophile Style has just published a review of our Z10e electrostatic headphone amp. For the curious, it also drives regular headphones and has speaker outputs as well. Another in the line of triple-threat products from LTA. :)

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-linear-tube-audio-z10e-integrated-electrostaticmagnetic-headphonespeaker-amplifier-r873/

Nicholas @ LTA