LCD-X too heavy???

Goosepond

• Virna!
LCD-X too heavy???
« on: 24 Aug 2018, 08:24 pm »
I'm thinking of buying a pair of Audeze LCD-X. I've read a couple of Head-Fi reviews and both talked a lot about how heavy they are.

I don't know how concerned to be about their weight. I'm not really a headphone guy until recently. My only experience is I have an aging pair of HD650's. It would seem that the LCD-X is more than twice as heavy as the my Senns.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Gene

dB Cooper

Re: LCD-X too heavy???
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2018, 08:56 pm »
I haven't looked up the weights but I've owned 650's and had LCD-X on my noggin, and I have to say it's no lightweight. Definitely noticeably heavier than the Senns. Goes with the territory with big planars. Hifiman alleviates this somewhat by using single-ended magnet structures (on only one side of the diaphragm) on some of their models, but that flattens out dynamics a bit.

Trying them on may be the only way to know for sure whether the weight is acceptable to you. I didn't mind the weight during my fairly short audition but can't say I wouldn't have after a CD's worth of music.have a different issue; I get the 'clammier' from most full size cans (especially closed ones with leather or 'pleather' pads, in which case my tolerance is about ninety seconds).

I tend to take reviews on Head-fi with a grain of salt, although anyone should be able to make a judgment about whether they're heavy or not.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2018, 09:33 pm »
Thanks.

I wear my 650's a lot lately and weight is never a problem. But like you said, they do get a little hot but I take them off fairly frequently.

I just have an urge to see what's out there especially the planar mag thingy.

Gene

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2018, 11:55 pm »
The velour pads on most Sennheisers and Beyers are the most comfortable (to me) from that standpoint. IIRC the Audeze use leather or something similar. Most of the Audezes lean towards 'dark' in their voicing, but if you are good with the signature of the 650, that shouldn't be a problem.

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2018, 01:01 am »
I've had the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor and the LCD-3 pre-fazor. I now have the LCD-2 Classic from last year. The comfort has been much improved over past models. The new headband is vastly better than what they used to have. The earpads are deep and plush.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2018, 01:23 am »
I've had the LCD-2.2 pre-fazor and the LCD-3 pre-fazor. I now have the LCD-2 Classic from last year. The comfort has been much improved over past models. The new headband is vastly better than what they used to have. The earpads are deep and plush.

So I take it you've never been bothered by their weight? From what I'm learning, because of their design, planar mags are just generally heavy HP's.

I'm also thinking about the LCD-3 rather than the LCD-X, both used.

Gene

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2018, 04:05 am »
The weight of the LCD-XC didn't bother me but I found the (leather) pads got uncomfortable after a while. Unfortunately Audeze discontinued the vegan pads, which I was going to buy if I kept the phones (I didn't).

Not all planar magnetics are heavy, or at least not as heavy as Audeze. Interestingly the Audeze page for the LCD-X does not specify the weight. Found on another site that it's 600g. The only way to know if it's too much for you would be to wear them for a couple of hours I think.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2018, 05:18 am »
The weight of the LCD-XC didn't bother me but I found the (leather) pads got uncomfortable after a while. Unfortunately Audeze discontinued the vegan pads, which I was going to buy if I kept the phones (I didn't).

Not all planar magnetics are heavy, or at least not as heavy as Audeze.

True. The Hifiman 560 was pretty light, although, as I mentioned, the single-ended magnet design has some effect on dynamics.

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2018, 05:19 am »
had a LCD 2.2 and now for the Last 1 year have the LCD-X it does not feel heavy at all
Asghar :popcorn:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2018, 01:43 pm »
Tend to agree with A_Shah.  Have owned several pairs of headphones have never
found weight to be an issue.  I love leather pads, but do agree that in warmer climes
they induce sweating, but that isn't really about weight, it's about breathability.
I eventually went away from Audeze and find Senn HD800 and ZMF Atticus both
comfortable and given the right amp and music, just about right for my purposes.
YMMV,
Hibuck...

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2018, 02:47 pm »
Yep, you're right: YMMV!!! :thumb:

Also one of the HP's I'm thinking about are a slightly used (yeah, right) pair of HD800S. So damn many choices. But when I make a choice, I surely want it to be the right one.  :scratch:

I've got a nice barely used (here we go again) Schiit Mjolnir2 that will get here Tuesday, and that just happens to be my 73rd birthday. So my ears are probably too old for any of this to make any difference anyway.

But I'm getting some cold feet (maybe that's my age?) and I'm also thinking of getting some XLR cables for my old 650's and that way I'll be able to compare the SE & XLR outputs of the Schiit and take this whole mess from there.

Ain't this hobby fun!  :green:

Gene

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2018, 03:36 am »
So I take it you've never been bothered by their weight? From what I'm learning, because of their design, planar mags are just generally heavy HP's.

I'm also thinking about the LCD-3 rather than the LCD-X, both used.

Gene

Hi,

The weight distribution of these recent models with the new headband or carbon fiber headband is much improved and very even throughout. You never feel any pressure at a particular spot. For me, these have my favourite earpads on a headphone. I preferred it over my Hifiman HE-500, Denon D2000 and HD 800. After a few days of break-in, the clamping force also improves quite a bit.

While the weight distribution is excellent, the fact remains you will still have to have some 500g on your head. I am not too bothered by it. I never use my laptop with these so I don't have to look down, and prefer to work exclusively on my iMac. Keeping your head up and relaxed will provide a better long-term experience. The new cable is also very light and pleasant to touch and non-irritating. I don't use headphones as long as I did in the past so I might not be the ideal person to ask about how these hold up after 3+ hours on a daily basis. I'd much rather listen on my Amphion monitors over the Audeze at my desk. I much prefer not having anything on my head even if it's the most comfortable headphone in existence.

Also, it's a good idea to audition all the Audeze models in your budget. You may be surprised with what you actually like. For example, in the past I preferred the LCD-2.2 as a whole over the LCD-3, despite the LCD-3 being better technically in almost every area. There was something very pleasing and engaging about the old LCD-2s. That's why they came back with the LCD-2 Classics without fazor. There were a lot of fans of those old LCD-2. A lot of them also had LCD-X and LCD-3. Please listen for yourself if possible.

HD 800 are very bright in their stock form. EQ helps, but it's still not ideal. I had Sonarworks and would still get fatigued with them. The HD 800 S improves on them, but it's still problematic. The Audeze's on the other hand with the Reveal plugins are the best I've heard in this price range.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2018, 02:34 pm »
Hi,

Thanks everyone for all the good info. Lots to absorb. I don't listen with my HP for an extended period of time so maybe weight shouldn't be an issue. I still want to see what the planar mag thingy is all about so I guess we'll see.

Gene

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:05 pm »
I know you guys are wanting to know how my HP journey is going so here is an update.

So I've had my Schiit Mjolnir2 for a few days. The seller included a batch of extra tubes, spacers, etc. I put the stock tubes in first just as a reference. He said they were crap so I went with his recommendation and put in a pair of Amperex something or other . I'm still using my old SE 650's and I'm probably just listening to them louder but so far, pretty good.  :thumb:

I've got a nice used pair of inexpensive balanced cables coming so I can try them with the XLR output of the Schiit.

I also finally decided on a nice looking pair of 1 year old 1 owner Audeze LCD2's. The seller also included some custom cables for SE and XLR.

So in a few days I'll have this HP thingy all fixed up. But how do I stop???  :scratch:

Gene

mav52

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:50 pm »
I own the LCD-x and the LCD-3  checked the weight checked on my postage scale.
LCD-x = 21.6 oz
LCD-3 = 19.33 oz

as a comparison: My
HD650 = 9.130 oz
HD-800s = 11.6 oz
MR Speaker Aeon open = 11.32 oz
Mr speaker Ether Flow C = 13.31 oz

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2018, 04:28 pm »
Thanks for that.

So if my LCD2's are in that same range, then they will be twice as heavy as my 650's. But they're only HP's, right? Who knows?  :scratch:

Glad to see you have HD800s's. They're on my radar just to try better Senn's.

So how do you like the HD800s's?

Thanks,

Gene

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2018, 04:52 pm »
Thanks.

I wear my 650's a lot lately and weight is never a problem. But like you said, they do get a little hot but I take them off fairly frequently.

I just have an urge to see what's out there especially the planar mag thingy.

Gene

Gene,

Not only do I have the same curiosity about what else is out the (headphones), but my present in home cans are HD650, and IE6 earbuds. One of these days I'm going to pay Echo Audio in Portland a visit.

Enjoy the journey.  :thumb:

Michael

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2018, 05:02 pm »
Hi Michael,

Just all of a sudden I'm really enjoying the HP experience. Within limits of course, I can move my head (and body  :green:) around and not lose the sweet spot. I think that's what has gotten me hooked. While surfing the net and listening to music from my laptop, it's been a joy. I keep thinking sooner or later i'll go back to my speaker setup but I'm in no rush.

Gene

mav52

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:35 am »
Thanks for that.

So if my LCD2's are in that same range, then they will be twice as heavy as my 650's. But they're only HP's, right? Who knows?  :scratch:

Glad to see you have HD800s's. They're on my radar just to try better Senn's.

So how do you like the HD800s's?

Thanks,

Gene

The HD-800s are nice.  I use a Woo WA-22 . The 800s are a little more detailed/accurate than the others.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:32 am »
The HD-800s are nice.  I use a Woo WA-22 . The 800s are a little more detailed/accurate than the others.

Sounds good. I just missed out on a pair today on Head-Fi. They were practically new and came with SE/XLR cables. I probably should just settle on what I'll have but that's no fun!

Gene