Our new $899 Vision SET 120 amp is shipping!

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Our new $899 Vision SET 120 amp is shipping!
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2018, 03:16 pm »
Larry - will you get a chance to review a Vision SET amp? Give me a reason to update my almost 6 year old Synergy 450 (or wait for v2.0).

Wayne

Well, that's up to Frank.  I would love to do a review. 

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2018, 08:01 pm »
Hi Larry,

I have a Vision SET 400 you can take home for the weekend now.

It has a none standard power transformer (same power, lower priced, but too noisy, puts a slight buzz in one channel).

Proper shielded transformers on order now, but if you can put up with the low level buzz, its available to listen to.

Give me a call when you want to pick it up.

Frank

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:01 pm »
Larry - will you get a chance to review a Vision SET amp? Give me a reason to update my almost 6 year old Synergy 450 (or wait for v2.0).

Wayne

Wayne, good news, I will be reviewing the new Vision SET 400 amp in a week or two.  My schedule is jammed packed with work, rebuilding my deck and my son's college graduation party and birthday for the nest week or so.  Eric, Tyler and Dean, if you read this, you are welcome to stop by for a listen, food and drink.

Larry

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jun 2018, 05:52 pm »
Sounds like a fun time, your review may be the first for the Vision SET amp series. Congrats on your son's graduation, your new deck should be well broken in by the end of the evening.

Wayne

Leifer

« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2019, 05:46 am »
Maybe, and maybe NOT! Have you heard it or one of the better Class D amps?
(not singling Wind Chaser out, but only the idea he proposed)

Get an AbVA ABX comparator, and hear for yourself.
Or you could trust my opinion when I post my thoughts later this month......comparing a similarly priced new Class D amp to the new SET 120.
I recently acquired the Class D amp, and the SET 120 is on it's way, along with the comparator unit.

I can try to imagine what I'll hear........or can I ????  :)
 (when all levels are carefully balanced, and different speakers are also used/tested.)

maxima95

« Reply #25 on: 3 Feb 2019, 04:01 pm »
Wind Chaser's point is spot on. 

Characterizing the sound of Class D amps generically (in a negative context) is simply wrong.  As has been said earlier, there are some well regarded Class D amps.

I look forward to your comparison of the similarly priced Class AB and D amps.  Hopefully you will try both without the comparator as well.  I have no doubt Frank's product will make a good showing.

retnuh

« Reply #26 on: 3 Feb 2019, 04:14 pm »
I went from a Nuprime ST-10 to a AVA Synergy 240 and it was an immediate upgrade, a lot more umph on the low end, calmed the high end (my speakers lean on the bright side), it was a night and day difference for me. I’ll be curious what your testing results are, this was the only non integrated class d amp I’ve owned and it’s in no way bad (I think the pairing just wasn’t right for me) but it’d take a hell of a lot to get me to switch back.

That said I couldn’t hold back and finally ordered a Vision SET 120, review after review sold me and I’m trying to imagine how much difference there is between the synergy and vision set.