Tube pre-amps

stevekr

Re: Tube pre-amps
« Reply #40 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:33 pm »
Just ordered a pair of JAN 5654W's, thanks PSB Guy.  :thumb:

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #41 on: 12 Nov 2009, 07:21 pm »
    Hi guys, just wanted to share my thoughts on the tube buffer. I did a bit of research on the net and found a device called Yaquin tube buffer, turns out that Grant is using this model (B 283) and updating it from stock to a high level especially for you lucky guys in the good ol' US of A.

Anyway the buffer turned up this morning (I bought the stock version directly from HK). I'm using a NVA P50 passive pre-amp with holco stepped attenuator feeding my Virtue One which I've by-passed the volume pot with the jumpers inside the amp, and am using the 30v supply. The tube buffer cost me ?70 GBP delivered so I wasn't expecting much.

I'm sat here now listening to 'A Meeting by the River' and I think I've just wet my pants! This is the best upgrade I've ever made to my system, barring the Virtue One of course. If you're using a passive pre-amp this is a no brainer, get one! If you live in the states get the Grant 283 as it's modded for 110v. I'm off now, audio paradise has arrived at last!

I agree 100% with Steve. It does depend on the system that the V1/V2 is used in but in my main system, the improvement that a valve buffer makes is awesome! I'm currently using the Audiodigit TubePre.

I've got the pot in the V1 bypassed, and have replaced the pot in the Tubepre with voltage dividers (as I use a separate LDR volume control). One thing that I've noticed is that the system sounds far better if the volume level of the TubePre is set high and I reduce the volume with the LDR volume control that comes after the TubePre. I'm not sure why this is but I had the TubePre attenuated quite a lot before and didn't get anywhere near the 'impact' that I get now.

It goes to show how many variables that we have to contend with when setting up a system.

Like some of you I've tried quite a few amps but I keep returning to the V1/V2 and haven't changed my opinion of it since I first reviewed it well over a year ago.  :wink:

50jess

« Reply #42 on: 10 Sep 2011, 08:52 am »
Added a Dared SL-2000A preamp with the Virtue 2.2 and the sound was just awesome.  I'm using it to drive the Harbeth C7s or the Vienna Acoustics Mozarts.

50jess

« Reply #43 on: 10 Sep 2011, 08:54 am »
Just received my Aikido Octal All In One kit from John Broskie's Glassware Audio. The All In One kit includes the PCB and components for constructing the widely acclaimed Aikido line stage amplifier. I will be using four (4) Tung-Sol 6SN7 (reissued version). I have other parts on order from Mouser including a Hammond chassis, separate power transformers for the B+ and heater supplies, and a pair of Epcos MKV B25834 3.3uF/600V film in oil caps bypassed with a pair of Russian FT-3 0.1uF/600V Teflon film caps that I got from Dweekie.

Once I complete the build, I'll post photos and listening impressions with the Aikido feeding the Virtue Two as a power amplifier.
Hi.  What are your listening impressions of the Aikido feeding the Virtue 2?  Would appreciate your inputs.