Thoughts on the sound from those who aren't Kool-Aid drinking fanboys.

jackman

This is a bullcrap thread. Only happy-talk from fanboys allowed on the original thread.   

Rclarke, tell the truth.  You have to be a 12 year old kid having some fun with your parents' computer.  You were the guy posting the most glowing, drippy comments before you ever heard this amp.  I'm not here to knock you.  If you have to try this hard to be accepted by people, I can only offer you my pity, and wish you the best of luck.

jackman

Re: Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2012, 02:19 am »
I like distorted and colored sound.

...and I like slutty girls with piercings and tattoos, who like to drink and party until the wee hours.  We all have our weaknesses.

Does this make us bad people? 

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Dude, what is your issue? I posted that the amp was damn neutral, but that it didn't make me feel like replacing my current amp. I didn't drool over the thing and I didn't get called out. Why are your panties in a bunch?

medium jim

Jackman:

Right on!

Jim

Rclark

I'm excited by the technology and anything I wrote was for that. You blew anything I said way out of proportion to the point of putting words in my mouth as though I already heard the amp. Never ever said I did.

But you don't like that. My excitement by this tech somehow gets under your skin.

Anyway, you've truly revealed yourself here, and any review by you has lost any credibility. Bash away. It must feel really good, like when you once had actual testosterone in your system back in the day.

serengetiplains

Re: Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2012, 03:29 am »

Do I care that my libertine self prefers the more distorted sound?

Paul, I wouldn't give that to those who think if one prefers other than the Ncore one must be preferring higher distortion.  I'm for instance guessing if one sticks Hynes regulators on the driver and input supplies, the audible difference these will make (yes, that's a prediction) won't show in the measurements.

The stock Ncore has a flatness to it to my ear.  I've heard more realistic reproduction from amplifiers.

roscoeiii

Anyway, you've truly revealed yourself here, and any review by you has lost any credibility. Bash away. It must feel really good, like when you once had actual testosterone in your sysem back in the day.

Why has any review by jackman lost credibility? I sat right down here on the couch to listen to the ncores, and we agreed on almost everything in relation to the ncores. As I wrote up in my listening impressions of the ncore, the Codas felt more fleshed out in the mids, but didn't have the bass or the highs, nor the ultimate resolution in detail that the ncores had. (Jack correct me if I am wrong of course). As Jack mentioned, he has actually heard these amps, and having been there, I can confirm that his description of them is not offbase. In Jack's system, particularly since he has powered subs, the ncore may or may not give Jack what he is looking for. I know that he was thinking hard about buying ncores the last time we spoke.

I do think that in his own unique way Jack is pointing to a tendency in audio that we all need to be on guard about, lest it lead us to unwise purchases that we may regret: becoming overenthusiastic fanboys of a flavor-of-the-month product or design feature. Designing an audio system is about trade-offs and synergy, and to get caught up in fads that don't take this into account or that ignore other factors that should factor into an audio purchase decision leads to making poor purchasing decisions in the context of the overall listening experience. Especially considering how many audio purchasing decisions are made without ever having heard the component in question (hats off once again to jtwrace for his ncore tour which allows us to actually hear this fabulous product!). Caveat emptor. But let the buyer also be aware that folks posting reviews (or excitedly discussing equipment that they have not heard) may not have similar tastes in music, may be drawn to very different aspects of music and may be listening in systems that differ in significant ways from your own.

And lastly, no need to insult another ACer's testosterone levels. Though I do get a kick out of imagining Jack in panties (but please Jack, no pics).

roscoeiii

And RClark, I am very excited that you will be able to hear the ncores as part of the second tour of these amps. Truly, few have shown as much enthusiasm for these amps as you have.

It will be very interesting to see how your expectations and experience with these amps line up when the amps are in your system.

Wishing everybody nothing but the best in their audio journeys.

Rclark

Why has any review by jackman lost credibility? I sat right down here on the couch to listen to the ncores, and we agreed on almost everything in relation to the ncores. As I wrote up in my listening impressions of the ncore, the Codas felt more fleshed out in the mids, but didn't have the bass or the highs, nor the ultimate resolution in detail that the ncores had. (Jack correct me if I am wrong of course). As Jack mentioned, he has actually heard these amps, and having been there, I can confirm that his description of them is not offbase. In Jack's system, particularly since he has powered subs, the ncore may or may not give Jack what he is looking for. I know that he was thinking hard about buying ncores the last time we spoke.

I do think that in his own unique way Jack is pointing to a tendency in audio that we all need to be on guard about, lest it lead us to unwise purchases that we may regret: becoming overenthusiastic fanboys of a flavor-of-the-month product or design feature. Designing an audio system is about trade-offs and synergy, and to get caught up in fads that don't take this into account or that ignore other factors that should factor into an audio purchase decision leads to making poor purchasing decisions in the context of the overall listening experience. Especially considering how many audio purchasing decisions are made without ever having heard the component in question (hats off once again to jtwrace for his ncore tour which allows us to actually hear this fabulous product!). Caveat emptor. But let the buyer also be aware that folks posting reviews (or excitedly discussing equipment that they have not heard) may not have similar tastes in music, may be drawn to very different aspects of music and may be listening in systems that differ in significant ways from your own.

right on.

Andre2

I like the thread title...
 :D

srb

I like the thread title...
 :D

Except that it should read "Kool-Aid"

Steve

roscoeiii

Rclark

Is it really Kool Aid though? Has some sham been perpetrated?

roscoeiii

You'll have to ask my audio consultant, Jim Jones.

SlushPuppy

So wrong, but very funny  8)

wushuliu

It's amazing the effect only a few people can have on the tone and/or direction of a conversation. In following the Hypex - er - hype most people are sharing the usual feedback and speculation that goes along with any anticipated audio product. But there are only a few folks whose prodigious commentary have managed to influence the discussion. Not laying blame or insinuating - I don't care one way or the other - but it is fascinating. That so few can influence so many. Ah, interweb.

The Ncore is considered solid state? I thought it was a class d?

medium jim

Now you know why there isn't anymore Guyana Jokes....

Jim

Rclark

And RClark, I am very excited that you will be able to hear the ncores as part of the second tour of these amps. Truly, few have shown as much enthusiasm for these amps as you have.

I don't think my enthusiasm is greater than anyone else's, but I have had to answer back to a lot of stupid posts from supposedly mature gentleman. Never wanted to be a focal point, I was just interested in talking about this new tech and relating what was so far known.

Doesn't matter, my system will soon be done for a good long while and I won't have to burden you all with my enthusiasm.

Nick77

The stock Ncore has a flatness to it to my ear.  I've heard more realistic reproduction from amplifiers.

I completely agree, but is the flatness prevalent in every build???

I dont understand its huge success with such an obvious fault.  :scratch:

I compared the Ncore to my SDS classd amp and another guy brought over a high end chip amp. While both couldnt match the Ncore clarity and punch they were more musical.

jackman

Hi Roscoe,
I agree with your statements, and its good to hear that you don't want to see me in panties.  Also, I'm still thinking about  building a set of Ncore amps. They sounded awesome in your system and I'll probably build some once summer is over.

Please note, my comments were not meant to be a slam on the Ncore or the people who like them.   They were originally meant to highlight the practice of denegrating the opinions of people who preferred other amps to the Ncore.   These opinions were marginalized in the "review" thread by those who concluded people who didn't like the Ncore must like colored or distorted sound.  This struck me as arrogant.

I posted my thoughts and they were moved to a thread entitled "opinions of people who have not heard the Ncore" which, in my case was untrue. I heard them and liked them.

Rclark, the day I take your advice on "credibility" will be the day I hang it up. You are a unique fellow, the first guy I've ever seen who forms very strong opinions, and even argues and makes outlandish predictions about gear he has never heard.  If I was a manufacturer, I would shudder every time you posted anything about my products. You are literally the equivolant of kriptonite to credibility.  I'm still pretty sure you are a 12 year old playing grown up on an audio forum.  Good luck to you.

Cheers

Jack