Name this active monitor

dflee

Re: Name this powered monitor
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jan 2016, 04:26 am »
How about a little Jamaican twist "Mon".
Simple, authoritative, respected

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #101 on: 16 Jan 2016, 04:46 am »
Salk

Live

Live--Mini, Short, Desktop, whatever.

funkmonkey

« Reply #102 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:12 am »
Ok...  playing on the drivers:    HiSeas

hansdejong

« Reply #103 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:20 pm »
Salk 'nPepper

I bet they sound spicey

abanks8

« Reply #104 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:29 pm »
I like "Iynx" - daughter of Pan and Echo.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2016, 03:41 pm by abanks8 »

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #105 on: 16 Jan 2016, 01:45 pm »
Good suggestions all guys but the winning selection can be found in the offerings below:

Salk Salience
Salk Salients

And using 'Imp' and 'active' and 'impactive'

Salk IMPactives

(Jim, I prefer the black hat.)

Initially yours,
KP

jsalk

« Reply #106 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:19 pm »
Someone asked the other day why we would introduce a active monitor.  Obviously there are numerous reasons.  But here is one...

- Jim
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2016, 09:07 pm by jsalk »

dflee

« Reply #107 on: 18 Jan 2016, 05:05 pm »
Gives a new meaning to the term flat line.

monte

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jan 2016, 06:36 pm »
That's it, Salk flatline

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #109 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:43 pm »
Yep, just one of the advantages of active speaker design.

dflee

« Reply #110 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:58 pm »
I was going to say that but it has such negative connotation.

monte

« Reply #111 on: 18 Jan 2016, 08:15 pm »
It would be totally different if we were in a hospital. We are just talking speakers.

Folsom

« Reply #112 on: 18 Jan 2016, 08:25 pm »
Salk Flats.  :lol:

JLM

Re: Name this active monitor
« Reply #113 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:50 pm »
OK, now that we've clarified that this monitor is active, I'll suggest a simple/different name to establish a new direction among Salk speakers to express it's no nonsense design: Salk A2.6 (active, 2-way, 6 inch woofer).  Future versions can be designated as Salk A2.6(2), Salk A2.6(3), etc.  Smaller versions can be called Salk A2.4, larger ones Salk A2.8.  And it makes for a easier way to identify/remember various models.  Of course names can still be used for the passive designs.

Active designs have huge advantages: much more dynamic; flat frequency response (as shown above) helps simply "make sense" of what is heard; bass is unbelievably deep/full.  The low voltage crossover losses less energy, can be more accurate, and more sophisicated (incorporating DSP).  Amps sense/react better to a simpler load and can be optimized to the driver/cabinet loading.  Speaker designer is in a better position to shop for the best amp/driver pairings than the consumer.

16 years ago auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 ($800/pair 2-way stand-mounts) versus Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinet).  It was no contest.  Passersby were gobsmacked.  Bass matched the Paradigm Studio 100 ($2000/pair, 3-way, 4 driver, floor-standers) but imaged better.  Unfortunately audiophiles have been turned off by the whole concept.

I congratulate Jim on this move and hope it becomes a success.

johzel

« Reply #114 on: 18 Jan 2016, 11:09 pm »
For this speaker I'd just go: "Salk PM" (powered monitor).  As a part of the "Salk Active Series".

JLM

« Reply #115 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:05 am »
Keep in mind that the distinction between active and powered is significant.  Powered speakers are similar to passives, just with a speaker manufacturer selected amp built into one of the speakers.  They have none of the other performance advantages of active designs (some of which I listed above). 

Active schematic:  preamp > crossover > amps > drivers

Powered schematic:  preamp > amp > crossover > drivers

Passive schematic:  preamp > amp > crossover > drivers   (same as powered)

In fact I'd say powered speakers are at best a wash compared to passives: 

Powered - save buying another component and have more knowledgable amp selection;

Passives - the amp may not be as good as what you'd buy (and fat chance it could be a tube amp), one speaker has speaker wire twice as long as normal while the other one has a very short one, and the amps are located in the highest vibration location possible.

witchdoctor

« Reply #116 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:44 am »
I use an all active home theater in a 9.5.1 Auro 3D setup. The manufacturer sells both active and passive versions of each model. The active versions go around 10-20 hz lower than the same passive model versions. I also like taking the guess work out of having to pick an amp. Each speakers drivers have their own amplification. It would cost $$$ to bi-amp or tri amp14 speakers, plus all of the additional rack space.
As for a name what about Salk Power?

witchdoctor

« Reply #117 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:48 am »
OK, now that we've clarified that this monitor is active, I'll suggest a simple/different name to establish a new direction among Salk speakers to express it's no nonsense design: Salk A2.6 (active, 2-way, 6 inch woofer).  Future versions can be designated as Salk A2.6(2), Salk A2.6(3), etc.  Smaller versions can be called Salk A2.4, larger ones Salk A2.8.  And it makes for a easier way to identify/remember various models.  Of course names can still be used for the passive designs.

Active designs have huge advantages: much more dynamic; flat frequency response (as shown above) helps simply "make sense" of what is heard; bass is unbelievably deep/full.  The low voltage crossover losses less energy, can be more accurate, and more sophisicated (incorporating DSP).  Amps sense/react better to a simpler load and can be optimized to the driver/cabinet loading.  Speaker designer is in a better position to shop for the best amp/driver pairings than the consumer.

16 years ago auditioned Paradigm Studio 20 ($800/pair 2-way stand-mounts) versus Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinet).  It was no contest.  Passersby were gobsmacked.  Bass matched the Paradigm Studio 100 ($2000/pair, 3-way, 4 driver, floor-standers) but imaged better.  Unfortunately audiophiles have been turned off by the whole concept.

I congratulate Jim on this move and hope it becomes a success.

This is what I use in my home theater, I use 4 Active 40's as L-R and surrounds, the Active CC, the Active ADP's as wide channels and 4 Active 20's as front and back height channels. This is one audiophile who is very happy. Unfortunately these speakers are out of production and I wish Jim the best of success with his new line.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #118 on: 23 Jan 2016, 04:50 am »
I propose Salk "Streamline" to capture the essence of the new active series.

Advent75

« Reply #119 on: 24 Jan 2016, 08:26 pm »
"Salk Sequel" - This model continues the Salk Story of developing quality speakers and they expand Salk's earlier lines(s) of speakers.