Info Please

amandarae

Info Please
« on: 14 Nov 2003, 12:30 am »
Would anybody know the power rating of the regular monoblocks at 4 Ohms load or perform any measurements?  Specs on website is 180wpc @ 8 Ohms.  So if they are stable, is 360wpc will be the case?  I am not sure if that is right.

Reason for asking is that I am DIY'ing a power isolation transformer and wants to know how much the total power requirements I need for the project.

Thanks !

markC

Info Please
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2003, 06:49 am »
Not sure of the actual number, but it is less than double,(360W). To be safe, with some headroom, I'd spec. things for 360. However, Odessey recomends plugging the amp directly into the wall.

amandarae

Thanks MarkC!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 07:01 am »
I appreciate your input!

theint

Info Please
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2003, 02:52 pm »
Your amp at 4 ohms will probably be 300w into 4 ohms. No amp can exactly double the power by halving the load. If this is the case your amp total power should be assumed to be 600w per side pwer consumption from the wall power. (this will give a little head room, Not much though) it looks like you will need a 1.2 KVA isolation transformer to me.

Eduardo AAVM

Info Please
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:30 pm »
amenderae, wouldn't be you better checking power consume instead power output ?

MarkgM

Info Please
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2003, 12:19 am »
amandarae - those are 400+ VA transformers.  You need to provide at least 400 watts a side - leave yourself a little headroom, 850 VA for the two (minimum).   After that, not sure what you're putting in there, but when all is said and done, allow yourself at least that much.  

While your at it, just get the biggest fruckin transformer you can find  :P  Well, Ok, maybe not in acordance with other parts you're using.

I would not be surprised if the monos doubled into 4.

How big are the fuses?

MarkgM

Info Please
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:58 am »

25,000 KVA - courtesy of Tucson Transformer.

amandarae

Info Please
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2003, 04:20 am »
MarkGM,

The fuse I am using is 20 A.  The transformer is by Plitron, 2000 VA, 97% efficiency, 12.6 Kg, 45 degrees C at 60 Hz!

So, I believe, that should be enough.  I am buying two BTW.  One for the amps and one for the rest of the system.

Thanks all on your responses!! :)

MarkgM

Info Please
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2003, 05:29 am »
Hmmmm.  That's great!  Is it the 8575-X0-02, about $300 US, as mentioned in "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity?"  

Very cool idea, I know I hadn't thought of it.  Why bother with the caps and the neaderthal coils building a full-blown, high-powered conditioner.  Just go for the boost on S/N - nothing but a transformer, fuse, AC sockets...  Heck, you don't even need a fuse.  Just jam the primary winding leads into a wall socket, and solder the secondary leads to a power strip.  Biggest darn wall wart I ever saw!  YEE HAW!

Seriously, I'm not kidding.  Just make a really big wall wart out of it.  

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/feature-article-isolation-transformer-8-2003.html

MarkgM

Info Please
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2003, 06:12 am »
btw: 2000 VA - might want to drop to a 15 amp fuse (1800 watts),
especially since you won't ever really use that much.  Probably no big deal.  But a pair of monos aint never gonna go there, and neither will the rest of your rack (amps set aside).