Help in deciding which Salk for me. please

avalon65

Re: Help in deciding which Salk for me. please
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:16 am »

Thanks for the input Avalon.  I have considered that I will need to upgrade (it seems to be a never ending cycle with this hobby) my amplification.  I planned on upgrading to a power amp over time.  Do you feel I would be "wasting" my dollars by not upgrading with more refined speakers, such as Salks?  Also, are you familiar with wyred4sound amps ?http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-plusB.html?find_groupid=18048

Thanks

Although I someday hope to be the proud owner of Salks, I don't think I would ever consider buying any of Jim's speakers "wasting" your dollars. I think it just comes down to what you want to own first. It sounds like you have the "bug" and it's only a matter of time before you'll be buying up your wish list. It's just a rule of the disease. The one thing you'll find out quickly about audio forums, is that everybody has opinions and in my opinion I'd start with the amp and then go for the Salks.

In terms of the Wyred4Sound amps, I have a buddy that just bought a 500 WPC stereo version and liked it so much he added a 250 WPC, five channel version for the remaining HT speakers. I had the pleasure of listing to the 2-channel Wyred4Sound amp that he had paired with a brand new pair of $10K Legacy speakers and I was amazed at how good they sounded. If/when I decide/can afford to make a change from my Odyssey Monos, the Wyred4Sound amp is on the short list as are a pair of Salks.

Christof

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:27 am »
Something with solid Ziricote baffles :wink:

targa02

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:22 am »

Thanks for the input Avalon.  I have considered that I will need to upgrade (it seems to be a never ending cycle with this hobby) my amplification.  I planned on upgrading to a power amp over time.  Do you feel I would be "wasting" my dollars by not upgrading with more refined speakers, such as Salks?  Also, are you familiar with wyred4sound amps ?http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-plusB.html?find_groupid=18048

Thanks

Although I someday hope to be the proud owner of Salks, I don't think I would ever consider buying any of Jim's speakers "wasting" your dollars. I think it just comes down to what you want to own first. It sounds like you have the "bug" and it's only a matter of time before you'll be buying up your wish list. It's just a rule of the disease. The one thing you'll find out quickly about audio forums, is that everybody has opinions and in my opinion I'd start with the amp and then go for the Salks.

In terms of the Wyred4Sound amps, I have a buddy that just bought a 500 WPC stereo version and liked it so much he added a 250 WPC, five channel version for the remaining HT speakers. I had the pleasure of listing to the 2-channel Wyred4Sound amp that he had paired with a brand new pair of $10K Legacy speakers and I was amazed at how good they sounded. If/when I decide/can afford to make a change from my Odyssey Monos, the Wyred4Sound amp is on the short list as are a pair of Salks.

Hi Avalon,

Poor choice of words on my part.  I should have phrased my question this way, do you feel I would benefit from adding Salk speakers prior to adding a separate (better quality) power amp?  You, of course, answered that question already.  There are certainly a lot of opinions in this hobby.  Does make it fun and frustrating at the same time when one is shopping for equipment.

Thanks Again!

targa02

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:27 am »
Something with solid Ziricote baffles :wink:

That would be a killer look, black cabinets and Ziricote baffles!

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:02 pm »
The pictures aren't that good, but here are some HT3's done in ziricote...

And a close-up...

There are also two pairs of HT2-TL's in ziricote in production.

- Jim

martyo

« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:25 pm »
Those are my favorites other than our own. The colors are different than ours but these front baffles sure remind me of ours, hard to explain, but I sure do like them.

Christof

« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:40 pm »