HT-3 vs. V3

twisted karma

HT-3 vs. V3
« on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:58 am »
Wanting to build a home theater system that will also serve for two channel listening. The system would be located in the living room (16 X 22, vaulted ceiling). We probably watch movies 70% of the time and listen to music 30%. With great speakers, our music listening would increase. My goal is to start with the mains and center. What would be the best move? Save up for the HT-3's or invest in the V3's?

Big Red Machine

Re: HT-3 vs. V3
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2007, 11:10 am »
Same room sharing equipment, more movies than listening I'd say the V3's are ideal.  But if you ever get the hankering for more listening then save up for the king and go HT3's.  As a matter of fact, the HT3's will probably drive you to find more time to listen.

The V3's are wonderful speakers.  I absolutley LOVE them in my HT.  I watched Sahara in HD DVD on my new 1080p PJ last night and the soundtrack is excellent on this disc.  The speakers really shined on this movie.  I have them crossed over at 40 hz and the "Monster" center crossed at 50 hz.  It is really neat to have the clarity of sound and mid to low bass coming from all 3 speakers.  These speakers really get it done!  For me, HT3's would be nice, but overkill in the theater.  YMMV

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2007, 11:50 am »
Hi,

Big Red Machine have you had an opportunity to listen to both speakers?  If you have what sonic differences have you heard between the ht3 and v3 speakers.

I'd love to import a pair of jim's speakers at some stage.

Regards

Rocket

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:51 pm »
SInce I own both but have never swapped the 2 into the other rooms I can say that the V3 is essentially everything the HT3 is except for the bass.  The V3 just does not go as low.  As far as I am concerned the mids and highs are the same.

twisted karma

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:24 pm »
Thank you so much for the input Big Red Machine. I see that you have the Emotiva Big Dogs driving the V3's. How do you think they would do with the HT3's? I ask because they seem to be a great product and are reasonably priced.

Also, looked at some older threads and saw that you were thinking about going with the Cary Cinema 11. Would you still go this route or is there another pre out there worth looking at?

Again, thank you so much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:58 pm »
[SInce I own both but have never swapped the 2 into the other rooms I can say that the V3 is essentially everything the HT3 is except for the bass.  The V3 just does not go as low.  As far as I am concerned the mids and highs are the same.
[/quote]

OK--to important matters first.  Can you really tell much difference between the 1080p pj and the old 720?   As for the V3's vs the HT3, I spent many a night A-B'ing between the two using a volume-compensated comparo box (which is essential--the V3 is considerably more sensitive), and under those conditions there is a slight difference in the midrange presentation.  That's simply because the V3 uses a much smaller midrange unit, which has broader dispersion.  I voiced to compensate, but there's only so much you can do or would want to, do.  Dispersion isn't bad.  I'm not sure which most people would prefer.  In terms of octave-to-octave balance, they're essentially identical above 38 Hz.  But nothing can set the neighborhood dogs off like the HT3's when they hit rock bottom.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2007, 04:48 pm »
Well Dennis I was skeptical as well but I just couldn't let this deal pass me by so I jumped on the pj and installed it Friday night.  Major improvement.  I was dumb, fat, and happy before and now I'm just fat and happier!  Considering it is almost twice the resolution the picture this thing throws is stunning.  I remarked to Brenda last night that I finally have my HT where I want it and the picture is on par with the sound now.

And the V3 vs HT3 thing - yeah, that's what I said!  For the money they are just stupid good for HT (V3).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2007, 04:55 pm »
Thank you so much for the input Big Red Machine. I see that you have the Emotiva Big Dogs driving the V3's. How do you think they would do with the HT3's? I ask because they seem to be a great product and are reasonably priced.

Also, looked at some older threads and saw that you were thinking about going with the Cary Cinema 11. Would you still go this route or is there another pre out there worth looking at?

Again, thank you so much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Well I have the MPS still due to its massive build and high power capability.  I have considered a Butler or tub amp set-up for the HT but have not had time to pursue.  I wanted the new audio codecs so I purchased an Onkyo 805 recevier as a processor and it works very well and sounds pretty darn good.  It does have the clicking noise thru the surrounds when it switches thru a menu or chapters but it is not very loud.  I want the Cary for the sound but many small glitches they are having convinced me to hold off.  Plus you need the second unit to decode the audio from the HDMI connection and it is not available yet.

Some say the Arcam i very nice but it does not have HDMI audio yet.  I hve no experience with Arcam.

The big dog amp can easily drive the HT3s.  I will never own another amp under 200 wpc into 8 again.  Need the headroom.

Pete

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:22 am »
twisted karma -

What would be the best move? Save up for the HT-3's or invest in the V3's?

As an alternative, you could always get a pair of V3's now and trade them in any time in the future on a pair of HT3's if you decide you need the extra bass.  You may find that the V3's are all you need.  And if you don't, you can enjoy them until you have some HT3's to replace them with. 

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2007, 02:10 am »
marbles -

Jim, how does that trade in (up) policy work?

It is not exactly a formal policy.  But we try and work with each customer on a case by case basis to help him or her make something happen. 

On many occasions, we have been able to allow a trade in at full value on a higher priced model.  We have allowed trade-ins of HT1's for HT3's with the full amount of the original HT1 purchase price applied toward the new speakers.  If the price differential between models is less (or if the speaker cabinets are quite worn), it becomes more difficult to do that.  But in each case, we do whatever we can.

We are often approached by individuals looking for B-stock speakers (which we never have).  But when we take something in on trade, we generally re-finish the cabinets and sell them as used speakers at a slight discount.  They basically look like new in every respect and, of course, we make sure they perform to spec.  For people looking for b-stock products, this is a good alternative.  They are happy and we are able to offer full trade-in value to an existing customer wishing to upgrade.

We have also made arrangements with some customers to purchase a pair of these trade-ins while they save for the speaker they eventually want.  For example, they purchase a trade-in pair of HT1's and when they are ready for HT3's, we consider the money spent on the HT1's as their deposit.  When they HT3's are finished, they pay the difference, return the HT1's and we ship the new speakers.  In this way, they get to enjoy great music while waiting until they can afford the speakers of their dreams.  I think this is a great way to proceed.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim   

twisted karma

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:45 pm »
Talked with Jim yesterday morning and I have decided to go with HT1's and HTC for the time being. Jim's incredible trade-in policy is what sold me. One day I can upgrade to the HT3's or keep the HT1's and use them for surrounds  :D.
I just want to thank the Salk owners (especially Big Red Machine) and AC for being a place to get invaluable information and meet the good guys in this field like Jim Salk. I think my life wandering in the mid-fi wilderness is coming to an end.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:37 pm »
I just saw a pair of H2's on the Salk site with sunburst finish that are available for sale
those or ht1's
I'm having a hard time deciding what speakers to drop in a ht setup I'm starting

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:41 pm »
I just saw a pair of H2's on the Salk site with sunburst finish that are available for sale
those or ht1's
I'm having a hard time deciding what speakers to drop in a ht setup I'm starting

I believe the sunburst ones were from last year's RMAF.  I saw them in person and the pics on Jim's website don't even begin to show their true craftsmanship and beauty.

George

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:47 pm »
so would a V2 be a nice HT speaker

considering HT1s but don't want lesser upstream electronics  (Arcam 350 and a blueray player to be bought (have PS3 now)) showing their limitation on the great resolution of the HT ribbon tweeter

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:52 pm »
so would a V2 be a nice HT speaker

considering HT1s but don't want lesser upstream electronics  (Arcam 350 and a blueray player to be bought (have PS3 now)) showing their limitation on the great resolution of the HT ribbon tweeter

Pete (BigRedMachine) has both HT3's in his music listening room and V3's in his home theater.  Perhaps he can highlight his experiences.

- Jim

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2007, 04:15 pm »
I'm sorry it's a HT2 you have for sale now

different tweeter than the HT1's and HT3's

I'm really jonesing on that 'guitar sunburst" finish

Tom

optoguy

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2008, 07:51 pm »
I know this is an older thread (well, almost a month) but i just started researching Salk speakers.  I started with SongTowers, and now am deciding between HT-3 and V3.  My theater is a similar size as the OP with a similar mix of movies (70%) and music (30%).  I'm curious as to how the center channels compare with each other (ie. the HTC vs the V Monster Center)?  The HT3 with the HTC, and the V3 and Monster Center seem to be similar price for the L, C, and R, but which may be more suitable for my mix of movies and music?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2008, 08:00 pm »
I know this is an older thread (well, almost a month) but i just started researching Salk speakers.  I started with SongTowers, and now am deciding between HT-3 and V3.  My theater is a similar size as the OP with a similar mix of movies (70%) and music (30%).  I'm curious as to how the center channels compare with each other (ie. the HTC vs the V Monster Center)?  The HT3 with the HTC, and the V3 and Monster Center seem to be similar price for the L, C, and R, but which may be more suitable for my mix of movies and music?

Well I listen to zero music in my HT.  I'm spoiled cuz I can walk into the other room and listen to the HT3's.  For 70% I recommend the V.  If you said 50 - 50 I would go HT3.  My rationale is that in the theater not having the best speaker is fine with me because my setup makes the V's sing and to me, maybe not your choice, HT3's are overkill.  I love, love, love the ribbon tweeter in each, but when you add in the xover of a HT system in the 50 or 60 hz region typically, then having the lower woofage capability of the HT3 is unnecessary (to me).  For a combo room like a living room space where you will entertain and want to show off the sound every so often I would go HT3.  Clearly better in many areas for music.

Cenetr channel, hard to say.  I have never heard the HTC but the Monster V is, well, monster in sound production. :thumb:

optoguy

« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2008, 04:16 pm »
Thanks Big Red Machine, that helps a lot.  I've ordered some subs (two MFW15), so like you said the lower frequencies will not be missed on the HT3.  Once some more of the wedding bills are paid, i have the go ahead to order the speakers.  Looking forward to them!

bkatbamna

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2008, 07:13 pm »
For HomeTheater you're almost always better off leaving the low frequencies to a subwoofer that can be placed in the proper location to accurately reproduce the low frequencies.  Many times, the locations that are good for the midrange isn't the best location for the low frequencies.