Difficult for sale post: Walnut Burl HT3's

Jason Buccellato

Difficult for sale post: Walnut Burl HT3's
« on: 3 Jul 2012, 06:31 pm »
Photos and details can be viewed at the following ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180920401802

Jim and I met around 2004 or so. I was doing landscaping work for Jim and some of his neighbors at the time. Back then the Salk speakers were manufactured from his basement/recording studio. I would stop in every week or two when he was cutting mdf on his back porch. Watching the different speakers being built was quite a treat, as well as occasionally having the opportunity to listen to them. Half of the fun was pouring over all the different exotic veneers that began to take over the floor space of his recording studio!

I have probably told this story before, but after listening to the first set of HT3's Jim built, I told him that once these speakers were able to experience some online exposure, that a waiting list would begin to form from prospective buyers. Well, that line sure did start in earnest. I got in line with others for my HT3's and Song Towers.

At this point in time, my 14 year old son has joined me in competitive cycling. Training with him as well as competing together has been priceless...but boy, even as a sponsored rider the equipment costs seem priceless as well, but not in a good way :icon_lol:. I have made the choice(two kids in travel soccer as well) to let go of my audio interest for the next few years in order to try and balance these activities before the sun sets.

ratso

Re: Difficult for sale post: Walnut Burl HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2012, 06:54 pm »
sounds like a good trade off to me. beautiful speakers btw, they won't last long.

Jason Buccellato

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2012, 04:01 pm »
sounds like a good trade off to me. beautiful speakers btw, they won't last long.

Thanks.

An additional complication that surfaced recently was a partial failure of my amp. It's an Adcom GFA 555II. One channel now functions at about 50% power. I purchased it as a heavily modified unit. I believe they originally came with a single 700VA toroidal transformer. Among other mods, the 700VA transformer was replaced with two separate 850VA or 950VA torodial trandsformers. It weighs around 80lbs.

Anyway, for a local sale, I would include the power amp for someone who either can repair or would have the amp repaired.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2012, 04:28 pm »
Wow - what a deal!  Sorry to see you have to let these go, but you made the right call.  When the kids have a family of their own you can get a pair of SoundScape's and revisit this hobby then.

Pride2012

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2012, 09:57 pm »
You're making the right, but tough decision!   Enjoy your family!!!

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2012, 03:16 pm »
Looks like they are gone.

Jason Buccellato

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:08 am »
The ebay listing ran out, but the HT3's are still available. Ive dropped the price to $3099.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180929920711

Jason Buccellato

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2012, 08:35 pm »
The speakers have sold. There is a bit more to the story though.

The individual who purchased the HT3's lives out out of state. Jim apparently extended the offer to this individual, to go over the speakers and help package and ship them out, since I live in the area. I was quite surprised to hear this, as these speakers were being sold on the used market. Packing and shipping these beasts is no small task!

When I arrived at the Jims facility, two Salk employees unloaded the speakers from my minivan and brought them inside. The bottom plinths were removed and the base of the speakers were painted black, even though viewing the bottoms is only possible when the speakers are upside down. New plinth bolts were included, though they were not needed. Their finishing/woodworking expert began touching up the outsides of the cabinets. While Jims wife, Mary, was facilitating a refresh of the exterior on the speakers, Jim took me on a tour of the factory.

It has been a couple years since I have been to the Salk facility. Boy has he grown! From new computer controlled cutting hardware, to greatly expanded square footage, Salk has been very, very busy.

Some outfits sacrifice quality for a trade off in production volume. That is not the case with Jim. His work has always been top notch. The finish quality and veneer work I saw today were breathtaking. He has fine tuned all of the many processes comprised in woodworking and speaker production. His build process represents the work of a master craftsman with all the proper tools available. Wow. You had to be there!

I have to give a special thanks to Mary for helping me gift wrap these speakers for their new owner. I could not have matched this level of shipping expertise. Jim and Mary were treating the shipment of these speakers of mine as if they were sending a brand new pair out to a customer of theirs. That is true support that went well beyond.

Thank you.

mjock3

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2012, 09:35 pm »
Well as the new anxiously awaiting owner, I say thank you as well. Jim and company are certainly a class act.
I heard Salks for the first time about 6-7 months ago. Terry's HT2's were simply incrediable to listen to. I fell in love with Salk speakers that day. (Love at first hear) Thinking I would not be able to swing that kind of purchase I set out to see about a pair of HT1's less than a month ago. And today am a happy owner of HT3's.  :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2012, 10:23 pm »
Me being Terry, I'm just excited to finally get to hear a pair of HT3's.  Congrats on the purchase Mark!  I'm really glad this worked out for you.  Welcome to the Salk family.  :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2012, 11:15 am »
Good show guys.  It always make me sad to see orphaned Salks on the forum.  Like my SongSeries I am selling.  My HT2-TLs get here Monday!

mjock3

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2012, 07:38 pm »
 :oops: Special thanks to Mary for packaging the Speakers with care!

shadowlight

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2012, 08:44 pm »
Congratulation Mark.  Let us know how the HT3 sound with NCore  :thumb:

mjock3

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2012, 09:17 pm »
Thanks, I will but I think I will be busy listening for quite a bit first! :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2012, 01:13 am »
Hi Mark,

I think you got a really good pair of speakers and for the price it was a no brainer.  It's also great that Jim is going over the speakers for you and shipping them in his boxes to prevent damage.  I remember reading where someone had a nice pair of HT3's shipped by someone and they were damaged quite badly.

Jim shipped my HT2's to Australia and there was absolutely no damage.  Happy listening.

Cheers Rod

ratso

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2012, 07:13 pm »
some of the stories about this place make me shake my head in amazement. the whole world should be run like jim runs his business  :notworthy:

Austin08

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2012, 08:35 pm »
some of the stories about this place make me shake my head in amazement. the whole world should be run like jim runs his business  :notworthy:

+1

stereodad

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm »
+2

saeyedoc

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm »
Great quote of this story on an Audiogon thread about some Vapor customer service problems. Unfortunately, the thread got deleted.

paul canady

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:38 pm »
Deleted!
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2013, 06:04 pm by paul canady »