DAC?

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: DAC?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jun 2012, 11:06 pm »
If you buy one new, please give it a lot of time (rather you believe in break-in or not)...it needs 500 hrs.  It gets better I promise.
Mark

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:33 am »
Got a quick reply from W4S about DAC 1/2 differences:

Thank you so much for your interest and taking the time to send your inquiry.

Please click http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/i/74030/212814/333112. There is a list of the differences which includes upgraded capacitors in the DAC-2. They do result is better filtering a slight sonic edge in the DAC-2. It is perceivable but no by any large extent and really only evident if you are able to directly A and B compare the two units.

The remote does come in handy for selecting inputs as well as mute, phase inversion, balanced control etc. It also lets you power it on and off easily even if you don't have a trigger out on your pre. At the same sime, the DAC-1 is 98% of the DAC-2s performance with less features and will save you $500.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and how I can help.

I'm thinking go for it.   :thumb:

.........Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2012, 03:35 am »
If you buy one new, please give it a lot of time (rather you believe in break-in or not)...it needs 500 hrs.  It gets better I promise.
Mark

You think leaving it on contributes to burn in or only when I have a signal going through it?

.........Peter

pstrisik

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2012, 07:29 pm »
W4S DAC2 on its way to Alaska.  Thanks for the input and discussion everyone!

........Peter

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:10 pm »

........Peter

Congrats - that's awesome!

guf

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:13 pm »

........Peter

cool. excited to hear your thoughts on it.

pstrisik

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:29 pm »
Yeah, I've been going stir crazy waiting for my SoundScapes.  I started researching preamps.  Then I really went crazy the past week and bought a preamp and pair of amps (both used from audiogon) and relatively inexpensive phono stage and the DAC2 (both new). 

I will try to maintain some self control in setting things up.  I am creating a two channel system within the home theatre, so I can set up the DAC and preamp and still compare how the SS8's sound with my existing equipment - and with the new stuff.  It is the amps that I want to hold off on installing for a few weeks so I can see what is doing what with the improvements.

........Peter

oh, and wouldn't you know it, I ordered the DAC2 last night and today one came up on AG for $1175!  :duh:

golfugh

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:45 pm »
Congrats on the DAC2 and everything else!!!   Keep it on and play as much as possible (24/7 if able, mute the pre when no noise desired), turn it off every few days for 24hrs, then back and and repeat.

Where in Alaska?  I get up to Anchorage every now and then.
Mark

pstrisik

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm »
Congrats on the DAC2 and everything else!!!   Keep it on and play as much as possible (24/7 if able, mute the pre when no noise desired), turn it off every few days for 24hrs, then back and and repeat.

Where in Alaska?  I get up to Anchorage every now and then.
Mark

W4S said that the amps can be turned off, but there needs to be a signal going through and connections to the DAC's outputs.

I am in Anchorage.  You come up for business or fishing?  :wink:

.........Peter

golfugh

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm »
Business..fly for one of the cargo carriers there

Turn the DAC off about once a week for 24 hrs, it helps...don't know why, but it does

pstrisik

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:10 am »
Business..fly for one of the cargo carriers there

Turn the DAC off about once a week for 24 hrs, it helps...don't know why, but it does

I'll give it a try, thanks.  Feel free to contact me if you like when you come up and have some time - either for listening or to grab coffee or a beer.

.......Peter