Your Listening Room Flooring...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Your Listening Room Flooring...
« on: 16 Nov 2013, 10:14 pm »
As the listening room make-over is slowly nearing its completion, it is time to decide on the type of flooring to go with. Originally, wall to wall carpet was the front runner, but as I wanted a very ornate Victorian pattern, issues has arose with respect to matching the pattern as the room is 15 feet wide at some points and carpet widths are just under 13 feet. Also, due to the irregular shape of my room, a pattern may not provide the best aesthetics.

One option that I am considering is a cork floor with victorian area rugs  :thumb:

So, what do you have for flooring in your listening area be it hardwood, cork, carpet or a combination of these materials and what are the pros and cons you have experienced with respect to the room's audio characteristics? Thanks in advance as many of you have provided great suggestions to me during my room reno  :thumb:

Be well...

Mag

Re: Your Listening Room Flooring...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm »
Glad you asked. I need a new floor for my living room but I don't have the funds as of yet. I was thinking of a rubber floor, think its called a sports mat about 3/4" thick at about $70 for 3'x4'. So while I'm at it I may put rubber flooring in the audio room as well. So I'd be looking at about $2000.

The flooring would be great for audio, as it would mostly absorb sound and it would be great for walking on in bare feet. The tile I laid down is all coming off and it looks like hell so this time I'm going to do it right.

I don't like the idea of a rug because if you have a pet then the hairs get right down into the fibers. I no longer have a cat but the renter has a dog that likes to roam, cute little thing.

Yes, a rubber floor is what I want. 8)

Laundrew

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:37 am »
Glad you asked. I need a new floor for my living room but I don't have the funds as of yet. I was thinking of a rubber floor, think its called a sports mat about 3/4" thick at about $70 for 3'x4'. So while I'm at it I may put rubber flooring in the audio room as well. So I'd be looking at about $2000.

The flooring would be great for audio, as it would mostly absorb sound and it would be great for walking on in bare feet. The tile I laid down is all coming off and it looks like hell so this time I'm going to do it right.

I don't like the idea of a rug because if you have a pet then the hairs get right down into the fibers. I no longer have a cat but the renter has a dog that likes to roam, cute little thing.

Another issue with wall to wall carpet is that if it gets stained (i.e. wax dripping on it from candles) or you get bored with it, to replace it can be expensive. With area rugs, if anything happens or if you see another rug you like better - roll up the old one and put down the new. In my situation, carpet is a must because I don't want to see Hector slip and fall on a hardwood/cork surface.

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:49 am »
Cork flooring installation…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TjtbwSanPM

Be well...

srb

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:55 am »

I have seen samples of various rubber floor materials, both synthetic and natural, and they all seemed to have a somewhat unpleasant odor.  I would imagine that the smell would subside to some degree over time, but with several hundred square feet of it, it's not something I think I would want to try for a personal living space.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2013, 05:31 am »
The bare concrete slab floor in my 1950's house would have sounded terrible and it was pretty beat up too so I put down a layer of Quiet Walk padding under the 3/8" thick floating engineered hardwood maple flooring throughout the whole house. The listening area between the speakers and couch also has a thick area rug. It all works together perfectly.

Wayne

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:52 pm »
I went back and forth for the flooring in my basement family room/HT.

I considered engineered hardwood, plank vinyl, and wall to wall.

Ultimately installed subfloor (Delta FL and T&G 5/8th plywood) and then thick underpad and wall to wall berber.

Agree that it ain't cheap or simple to replace, and stains would be a bear to deal with, but it is what I thought we would all like best.

rbbert

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2013, 05:43 pm »
3/4" oak on thin layer of felt on vapor barrier on 3/4" plywood on concrete slab, with some area rugs.  I think it sounds pretty good but must admit the ease of cleaning (and the ability to actually get it clean, almost impossible with carpet) is a big attraction as well.  It looks fantastic, IMHO.