How to cook Pork Chops?

Mag

How to cook Pork Chops?
« on: 15 Apr 2024, 09:57 pm »
  My dad gave me two Pork Chops, but I don't know how to cook Pork Chops. I'm using an Induction stove top cooking in a frying pan. My dad says he hits the Pork Chops with a type of hammer to tenderize before cooking, do I need to do this? The spices I plan to use are a touch of Thyme and Paprika.

So tell my at what temp. do I need to cook and for how long, and other spice recipes? :drool:

VinceT

Re: How to cook Pork Chops?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2024, 11:31 pm »
How thick are they?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2024, 12:36 am »
This method may be different from what most people would use:

Marinade the pork chops in a brine for 12 to 24 hours. This will all but guarantee tender and juicy chops. Ideas for the brine:

In a pot add a quart of water, 2 bay leaves, 8 pepper corns, salt, ~an ounce of soy sauce, 6 garlic cloves, a chopped onion. Bring to a boil. Allow broth to cool before placing pork chops in the broth. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. Remove chops from brine and pat dry with a paper towel. Allow 30 minutes or so for meat to warm up a bit. Now, cook as desired.

Celery can be added to the brine. Chili powder can also be added.

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2024, 01:47 am »
To add to mresseguie's brine suggestion, make sure you follow the brining rule. 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of salt, and 1 cup of sugar. That is a basic brine. You can make a smaller amount, like 2 quarts water, half a cup of salt, and half a cup of sugar , just stick to the rule. The two chops will only need to brine for 6-8 hours or so due to size. Longer won't hurt anything, just not necessary for jut two chops, even if an inch or two thick. I too add ingredients to the brine to bring some flavor to the party like mresseguie.

Good Luck,
JCarney

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2024, 11:57 am »
Oops! I forgot about the sugar. Thank you, JCarney for the reminder! :thumb:

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2024, 12:25 pm »
Happy to help. :D

JCarney

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2024, 12:43 pm »
Since no one else (other than JCarney) has offered ideas yet, allow me to add a bit to my previous comment. Scoop some flour into a mixing bowl. Add salt, ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and a dash of cayenne powder to the flour. Mix well. Coat the pork chops evenly. Fry in frying pan or bake in an oven.

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2024, 01:37 pm »
Since no one else (other than JCarney) has offered ideas yet, allow me to add a bit to my previous comment. Scoop some flour into a mixing bowl. Add salt, ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and a dash of cayenne powder to the flour. Mix well. Coat the pork chops evenly. Fry in frying pan or bake in an oven.

Pepper/cayenne powder is out for me gives me the diarrhea. :oops:  I will probably use white pepper, I can handle that.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2024, 02:46 pm »
It's hard to beat a battered and fried pork chop.  But my batter process is a bit different. Lightly beat an egg and cup of milk together.  Mix salt and whatever pepper you like together with a cup of flour.  Dip the pork chop in the egg/milk wash, then dip it in flour.  Then do it again.  Fry in a hot skillet with oil. 
But the best pork chop I've ever eaten was grilled to 145* then coated with honey and lavender. 
The key to any pork chop is DON"T overcook it.  Use a meat thermometer. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2024, 02:59 pm »
  Italian style. Make a mixture of breadcrumbs, Romano cheese, fresh parsley and fresh pressed garlic. 2 cups crumbs, 3/4 cup cheese. 3 sprigs parsley, 4 cloves garlic. Dip chops in egg then breadcrumbs. Either fry in EVOO or bake at 350. The mixture is for cutlets as well.

charles

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2024, 03:27 pm »
Okay, I fried one up because I was hungry, this how it went down.

Sprayed the pan with Pam cooking oil, using Induction Stove Top. Placed frozen pork chop in pan, cooked at 425 degrees for 3 mins then flipped to other side for another 3 mins. Then flipped to other side and seasoned the pork chop with Sea Salt, White Pepper, Thyme and Paprika then sprayed Pam cooking oil on top. Flipped to other side and repeated the above.
  In total cooked each side 15 mins at 425 degrees.
Results: taste was to my liking, I would say I over cooked it, 12 minutes per side may have been better. Ate it all being satisfied, did not throw it in the garbage.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2024, 06:00 pm »
Low & Slow.  Brine or no brine, sauce or no sauce, coating or no coating, low temp slowly.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2024, 06:20 pm »
I've always been a fan of salt, pepper, a little brown sugar and finely chopped fresh rosemary. Thawed pork chop coated with the rub, sear in butter over medium heat for 6 min each side, then serve with whatever side dish. Pretty easy and hard to beat.

Also, reading through this thread made my mouth water. Now I'm hungry.

Delta77

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2024, 06:42 pm »
You guys are killing me.
Everybody's recipe sounds so delicious my mouth is also watering.
I'm fasting today for a procedure tomorrow.
But, after tomorrow's procedure I'm gonna get some chops.   

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2024, 07:16 pm »
Never cook frozen meat.
Do you own a BBQ pit?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2024, 09:29 pm »
Youtube has thousands of videos about cooking anything!

Cooking a frozen pork chop? Works much better when brought up to room temperature before throwing it into a hot pan.

Get a meat thermometer. Amazon has exactly what you need for a low price.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2024, 07:58 pm »
  Now there are those really thinly sliced center cuts. Just duck Sauce or Brown sugar.  and grilled. OMG. Lollichops

charles

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2024, 08:21 pm »
Okay, I fried one up because I was hungry, this how it went down.

Sprayed the pan with Pam cooking oil,-use a tbs olive oil using Induction Stove Top. Placed frozen Fozen? bizarre   pork chop in pan, cooked at 425 degrees for 3 mins then flipped to other side for another 3 mins. Then flipped to other side and seasoned the pork chop with Sea Salt, White Pepper, Thyme and Paprika then sprayed Pam cooking oil on top. Flipped to other side and repeated the above.
  In total cooked each side 15 mins at 425 degrees.

Don't use spray oil if you have any better option, and almost any oil or butter is a better option.   And putting a frozen pork chop in a skillet??? Pretty much unheard of.... even thawed in hot water is a better option.