Why is Nora Jones yelling at me? Review: Gallo 3.1 and Paradigm Studio 100

gkinberg

Last weekend I auditioned two sets of speakers:

The Gallo Ref 3.1, very detailed. During one of my audition tracks, which I’ve heard many times, I recognized strings playing in a section that I hadn’t noticed before. Conversely, and counterintuitive to me, during portions of music where many instruments and vocals were playing simultaneously, things sometimes sounded muddy or distorted or veiled; I’m not sure of the right term but not fantastic. The salesman suggested that the speaker was not broken in yet. I wanted to listen to the speaker with the second voice coil engaged but he was reluctant to set it up. All things considered, I enjoyed the detail and sonically I enjoyed the speaker but somehow the music wasn’t engaging for me. These are songs that I like of course but my head wasn’t bobbing and my foot wasn’t tapping.

The salesman then rolled out the Paradigm Studio 100’s. The volume was set from my listening to the Gallo’s. Wow, definitely seemed to me a more efficient set of speakers. The sound was enveloping. While I liked the sound a lot, it was not as detailed as the Gallo’s. I mentioned this to the salesman. Again, he suggested lack of break-in for the lack of detail. Intellectually, I figured that I would not like the speaker as much as the gallo because of the “lack of detail”. However, I found my toes tapping and my head bobbing, go figure. Nonetheless, while enjoying the music, I couldn’t help but ask myself, “why is Nora Jones yelling at me?”. Seemed to be a very forward sound, not a "laid back" speaker. At least I think that is the correct useage of that term.

Thanks for reading, Garth
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 06:18 pm by gkinberg »

Rocket

Re: Why is Nora Jones yelling at me
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:10 am »
Hi Garth,

Tnt Audio review of the gallo reference 3.1's.  Lots of speakers to chose from if you are located in the US.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/gallo_ref31_e.html

Regards

Rod
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010, 01:25 am by Rocket »

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:46 am »
All things considered, I enjoyed the detail and sonically I enjoyed the speaker but somehow the music wasn’t engaging for me. These are songs that I like of course but my head wasn’t bobbing and my foot wasn’t tapping.

However, I found my toes tapping and my head bobbing, go figure.

Excuse this simple analysis/description: when reading the two lines above in your post it made me think of the proverbial difference between the head and the heart. I completely understand the intellectual thrill of hearing that sound I never heard before, but, if my toe isn't tapping and my head isn't bobbing along, then something is wrong.

IMHO reconciling these two things is key to audio joy and satisfaction. Not easy to do...it is finding both equipment and music you like and putting a system together that achieves it in some real measure. I think finding speakers you like is half the battle. Single driver speakers were a revelation to me and when I discovered them it became clear to me that "this is a sound that brings me joy". Once I figured that out it greatly increased the joy of the hobby for me. Finding the sound you like in a speaker (which to me means you can live with it for several years, even through upstream component changes) is a great place to start.   

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:51 pm »
Keep auditioning speakers until you get both.  The level of detail and the tapping foot.  The head and the heart as pardales says.  There are many more speakers to listen to.  What is your price range and room size?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Look for speakers with soft dome tweeters and paper (not metal) midrange drivers.  These tend to be more natural and engaging, emotionally, but don't have the "upfront" detail that metal tweeters and midranges.

Wayner

I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 40v.3s. I'm the last guy in AC that will promote any theory  on brake-in, but it seemed to take awhile for the tweeter to tame down on mine. I think the surrounds need to loosen up a bit. They are now awesome. I also have a pair of JMlab Focals and a soft domed Dynaco A25XL mods. The high freq on all the drivers are very close to each other, giving the Dynacos the slight edge on that "not edgy" sound, that Tyson was referring to, but in the case of the Paradigms, I think after a bit of use, you will like them.

Wayner  :D

Scottdazzle

Last weekend I auditioned two sets of speakers:

The Gallo Ref 3.1, very detailed. During one of my audition tracks, which I’ve heard many times, I recognized strings playing in a section that I hadn’t noticed before. Conversely, and counterintuitive to me, during portions of music where many instruments and vocals were playing simultaneously, things sometimes sounded muddy or distorted or veiled; I’m not sure of the right term but not fantastic. The salesman suggested that the speaker was not broken in yet. I wanted to listen to the speaker with the second voice coil engaged but he was reluctant to set it up. All things considered, I enjoyed the detail and sonically I enjoyed the speaker but somehow the music wasn’t engaging for me. These are songs that I like of course but my head wasn’t bobbing and my foot wasn’t tapping.

The salesman then rolled out the Paradigm Studio 100’s. The volume was set from my listening to the Gallo’s. Wow, definitely seemed to me a more efficient set of speakers. The sound was enveloping. While I liked the sound a lot, it was not as detailed as the Gallo’s. I mentioned this to the salesman. Again, he suggested lack of break-in for the lack of detail. Intellectually, I figured that I would not like the speaker as much as the gallo because of the “lack of detail”. However, I found my toes tapping and my head bobbing, go figure. Nonetheless, while enjoying the music, I couldn’t help but ask myself, “why is Nora Jones yelling at me?”. Seemed to be a very forward sound, not a "laid back" speaker. At least I think that is the correct useage of that term.

Garth,

You say the volume was set for the Paradigms at the Gallo level and that the Pardigms were louder.  This is an unacceptable and potentially misleading way to compare speakers.  The volumes should be the same for both speakers, regardless of the setting on the preamp volume control.  If the speakers you are comparing are played at different listening levels, it is extremely difficult to make a fair comparison.

If the volume you listened to Norah Jones music was otherwise okay but she seemed to be shouting -- run, don't walk to the exit.  There's a very slim chance that you will like listening to these speakers in the long run.

FWIW, I haven't heard either of these speakers and have no opinion about them one way or the other.  I know from experience that little flaws become more irritating over time.

Maybe you need to audition some other speakers. Best of luck!

Scott

pardales

I would just add that in-home audition is the best way to be sure. Your room, your equipment. Yes, it is harder to do this with speakers and you might lose a little money or have to pay a little to get an in-home audition, but in the long run, it is worth it.

carusoracer

I have read the post and this is the first time I've  heard of people saying that the Gallo's where shouty... :scratch:

What type of gear was in the chain? How far away where you listening? Tube or SS? Are you a 2 ch or home theater person...

You should always trust your heart so move on to other speakers that interest you.
OTH, take a read on Gallo's website of the reviews on the ref 3.1's. I never came away with that feeling and I auditioned them 3 times before I pulled the trigger. I have also heard the paradigm's but not that exact model. Completely different sound just as the name of the speaker states, studio monitor.

Give us some more detail of your gear, room, and likes -dislikes. There are some very experienced audiophiles hear on AC. Someone will always have a great suggestion.
Good luck.

gkinberg

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2010, 11:07 pm »
I will try to answer some of the questions posted but first let me say that I am new to this hobby and my ears are not very refined so please be patient with some of my possibly misused terminology. That being said, I love AC and how lively and experience and helpful so many of you are.

Keep auditioning speakers until you get both.  The level of detail and the tapping foot.  The head and the heart as pardales says.  There are many more speakers to listen to.  What is your price range and room size?

My budget is basically $2000 for the front two speakers either new or used. I am redoing my system, starting with my front speakers. My use is currently HT:music; 60:40. After upgrading my system I expect my use with be closer to 50:50. I currently don’t use separates, instead, an older Yamaha HT receiver that I will replace in time. I may upgrade to separates eventually. My room is 14’:22’ with 16’ vaulted ceiling. Room is open to dining room, entry way, hallway, kitchen and family room. Probably at least 8000 cubic ft.

gkinberg

Garth,

You say the volume was set for the Paradigms at the Gallo level and that the Pardigms were louder.  This is an unacceptable and potentially misleading way to compare speakers.  The volumes should be the same for both speakers, regardless of the setting on the preamp volume control.  If the speakers you are comparing are played at different listening levels, it is extremely difficult to make a fair comparison.

As soon as the music started, I turned the music down. I doubt that it was exactly “level matched” but I think it was close enough. I did some more auditioning yesterday, which I will try to post later, and I think that the Nora Jones album that I use for auditioning is “voiced” a little more vocals forward than some of my other auditioning material. That being said, I think that the paradigms are also voiced a bit forward.

gkinberg

I have read the post and this is the first time I've  heard of people saying that the Gallo's where shouty... :scratch:

What type of gear was in the chain? How far away where you listening? Tube or SS? Are you a 2 ch or home theater person...

Give us some more detail of your gear, room, and likes -dislikes. There are some very experienced audiophiles hear on AC. Someone will always have a great suggestion.
Good luck.

I felt that the Paradigms were a bit shouty at high levels, not the Gallo’s. The electronics were “high end”. Two channel with a tube preamp. I don’t remember details.

It was a couple of months ago that I heard the Salk SongTowers, but I am almost sold on them. I am auditioning speakers to determine if there is anything out there that I like better in my price range either new or used. I am looking for something that sounds Natural, like the performers are in the room with you. The Salks are one of the only speakers that I thought had vocals “right”, sounded closest to the singer was in the room rather than their voice coming out of a speaker. 

JackD201

I've heard Gallo Refs  shouty but only because the guy manning the demo was an idiot and was playing them far past their and the amps capabilities and in a smallish room at that. I blame the guy not the speakers, which were more than fine when used sensibly. Any speaker pushed past it's capabilities will shout.

Now if the Gallos can't play at levels that are satisfying to you without compressing then it's time to look elsewhere. I feel duty bound to remind you however of the health dangers to prolonged exposure to high sound pressure levels. For extended listening limit peaks to 85dB lest hearing loss be permanent.