adding sub out to Chime

matt99eo

adding sub out to Chime
« on: 8 Jan 2010, 08:08 pm »
Is it possible to add a subwoofer output to the chime?

Is there a reason it was designed with the sub output?

What is the best way to add a sub woofer in the case that adding another output for a sub is not a good idea?
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2010, 09:24 pm by matt99eo »

hagtech

Re: adding sub out to Chime
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:01 am »
You can use either of the outputs as a sub input.  I assume your sub has the LP filter in it.

jh

matt99eo

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2010, 09:06 pm »
Maybe I do not understand how sub woofers and sub amps are integrated into the setup.  :scratch: The Chime DAC has one pair of outputs.  I am running my one interconnect to my left and right channel amplifiers (bottlehead Paramours).   In this configuration where does the sub woofer connect? 

Any recommendations for a sub woofer? 

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2010, 08:04 am »
Oops.  I was thinking CLARINET.  Subwoofer can use speaker level input from the paramours.  Arguably, most folks do it the other way, trying to find a line level output from preamp to go to sub.  You could do Y-adapters to do so.  The interesting thing about using speaker levels as a sub input, is that the signal passes through the main amplifier and gets the needed phase shifts to integrate better with the rest of the spectrum.  Yes, there is a little added noise, but for the most part should be insignificant.  Getting a smooth transition is often difficult.

jh

matt99eo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2010, 06:31 pm »
Okay good I am not going crazy.

So if one wanted to add another output to the Chime could it be done with some blue wire mods?

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:58 am »
Yes, you can add your own output jacks and wire them in parallel with the existing ones.

jh

matt99eo

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:45 pm »
Will this effect the sound or any other aspect of the amplifier?  Is this the same sonically as using some sort of y splitter out of the interconnect?

Do you have a recommendation for a driver and amp?  It will be paired for now with some Fostex 208 sigma (mounted to brass rings). 
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2010, 09:32 pm by matt99eo »

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:36 am »
The sonic effects will depend on the loads and cabling. 

jh

matt99eo

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2010, 09:00 pm »
By loads do you mean the impedience of the sub?

How do I minimize this effect?  I am a bit of newb to this stuff so could I ask how you would choose a sub to match into the system?

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:32 am »
By loads do you mean the impedance of the sub?

Yes

How do I minimize this effect?

You can't.  Except to drive the sub via speaker levels.

jh