PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
hi fi fuses
« on: 21 Jan 2007, 11:21 pm »

shep

Re: hi fi fuses
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2007, 11:55 pm »
This is akin to asking "what do you feel about America's presence in Iraq?" :nono:
I was going to (the fuses that is). Then I thought "why spend the money?" So I hard-wired them instead. I'm considered foolhardy. Well it's my equipment, it's second hand and I like to live dangerously. This will incur the wrath of some here. So be it. If you have the money, try them. If you don't, just clean all the fuse holders and the fuses, put a bit of contact enhancer on them (if you have some handy), replace them and see if you hear a dif.

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2007, 12:44 am »
i knew it was a brute force post when i made it. but i couldn't think of adding all the preamble and nonsense so i just came out with it.

shep

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2007, 08:32 am »
Seems like we're (still) in a wrath-free zone :lol: I always bang on about how carefull I am and "never in 30 years..." I was doing some rewiring for my ex girl friend yesterday (lights). She wants to show off the new room to someone, puts on the switch OUCH!!! :evil: :evil:. Took me an hour to find the right breaker and get my fingers back. Never say never. Since no one is listening to us :wink: the hard-wiring the fuses in my cdp sounded a little bit better. Nothing earth-shattering. There are so many connections and solder joints in the average system...it only takes a few bad ones to add "dirt". I wish there was some miracle tester that could scan ones gear and would say "there!", "fix that".

analog97

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:22 pm »
I am from Missouri on the benefit of a better fuse.  I understand the purpose of a fuse.  The gauntlet is being gently slammed down on this specimen of snake-oil .  Future posts should include some specific hypothesis or something to grab onto here for those who claim a sonic benefit.  I am always willing to change my state of residence.

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2007, 07:37 pm »
I wish there was some miracle tester that could scan ones gear and would say "there!", "fix that".

Hey, that's not a bad idea.  It already exists.  Called a Huntron Tracker.

jh

Braden

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2007, 09:51 pm »
I remember there being some discussion about this with the Cornet's, ceramic fuses sounding better. My friend built the Cornet 2 and used ceramic fuses to good success, but they wouldn't work in my original Cornet. I believe this would have to do with the different transformer in the C2 that runs cooler.

shep

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2007, 10:24 pm »
what is the sound of one gauntlet being slammed down gently? aa Everybody seems to be treading on eggs lately! Please berate me...what's a Huntron Tracker? I want one! (probably costs a lot) This thread is clicking right along :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2007, 07:19 am »
I've got the IsoClean fuses in my Butler 3150's and I do believe I heard a difference. I tried them in both directions and heard the difference there too. 1 direction was much more harsh while the other had a smooth clarity to it. Now you're suppose to change these $25/apiece fuses every 6 months. That ain't gonna happen, not when I need 12 fuses for my amps.  But I did want to try them once, even tho BK Butler himself told me that I might as well  :flame: my money. He should know but like anything else in life, I needed to know for myself and I liked what I found.
Just my opinion.

Robin

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
Jim, how about super-regulators
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2007, 06:34 pm »
Jim, any opinion on the super-regulators from BursonAudio and which one would be compatible?
http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Super_Regulator.htm

Module #                 Voltage Range              Maximum Current Output
LM78  A                   5 – 10 V                      Output 80ma
LM78  B                   10 – 20 V                     Output 80ma
LM79  A                   (-) 5 – 10 V                  Output 80ma
LM79  B                   (-) 10 – 20 V                Output 80ma
LM317 A                  5 – 10V                        Output 80Ma
LM337 A                  (-) 5 – 10V                   Output 80Ma
LM78 C                   10-20V                         Output 150Ma
LM79 C                   (-) 10 -20V                  Output 150Ma

hagtech

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2007, 07:38 pm »
super-regulators from BursonAudio

I don't think any of these will make a very good fuse.

Please start a new thread (supposedly I should know how to do this as a moderator, but I don't).  Also, be specific as to the application.  Thanks!

jh