A Mini Review Of My Cornet 2

amandarae

A Mini Review Of My Cornet 2
« on: 27 Aug 2006, 01:31 am »
Being familiar with the signature sound of my Trumpet phono preamp or lack there of, I was intrigued by the reports of people who built the Cornet 2 preamp. The Cornet 2 is one of the mid-price phono preamp (Original Cornet is the other one) in the Hagerman Technology line of  phono preamps.   According to Mr. Hagerman, it is basically the same as the original Cornet in circuit topology but it deviates from the similarity in a way that several upgrade features for the original were already incorporated to the 2 as standard in the circuit layout namely CCS and stereo/mono switch as notables.  

I built my Cornet2 with the stock parts list of resistors but with the Auricap capacitor upgrades as listed in the “Modification” section of the manual.  I opted for the black Hagerman chassis as well.  

Building the Cornet 2 is easy if you have some electronics background.  The manual is clear and concise of the steps that are necessary to be successful in completing the project.  The PCB was labeled clearly and the instructions to populate the circuit board up to wiring the transformer were straight forward.  In retrospect, I populated, soldered, wired, and completed my preamp (assuming all parts are already on hand) in a day and a half including soaking the PCB with alcohol for a few hours to clean unwanted solder fluxes on the board.

I run my stock-Auricap upgraded Cornet2 for three weeks and was very happy with the results.  Compared to the Trumpet, it is not as good in the bass region and how the Trumpet presents a smooth non-fatiguing presentation.  It also lacks the Trumpet’s wider soundstage.  The Cornet 2 has a wide soundstage, do not get me wrong, but the Trumpet at the time of my comparison in my system clearly has the advantage.  I bought identical sets of tubes for the Trumpet and Cornet (JJ 12AU7’s and Sovtek 12AX7LPS) during my comparison by the way.  A Sovtek 5Y3GT was the rectifier tube used in the Cornet2.

On the fourth week, I change all the stock resistors in the signal path with Rikens.  I run it for about a week and then listened for improvement.  IMO, there was none whatsoever.  I left the Rikens in place since I do not want to solder and de-solder again that might lead to weakening the circuit board traces.

From a month and a half and onwards, I tried Hovland, then the Jensen Aluminum PIO, then the Jensen Copper PIO, and lastly the Mundorf SIO in the output (C208) cap position replacing the Auricap.  In the inter-stage (C203) position, I tried the Orange drop, the stock ceramic, and the Sonicap Platinum replacing, again, the Auricap.
I also replaced the Auricaps on C202 (RIAA) and C204 with Sonicap Gen II film capacitors.

My observations after rolling the capacitors are as follows.  There was a big change in level of quietness (noise background) from using the Sonicap Platinum in the C203 position compared to the Auricap.    The Orange Drop on the same position did not produce the same result.  In the C208 position (output), the Hovlands sound much better than the Auricap and/or the two types of Jensens I tried.  The Jensens were fine but seems to have a slight “chugging along” character.  It does not give me the same impact in the bass region and brass instruments seems to be tamed a little bit.  It has a sonic signature for sure but in my system, I did not like the outcome using these capacitors in the output.  The Hovlands sound very nice on the C208 position.  In my system, it has all the qualities that I was looking for.  Despite of the accolades, the Hovlands are no match to the Mundorf SIO.

Tubes
I found Sovtek 12AXLPS and Amperex BB large ring getter works well in my set up with the Sovtek 5Y3GT as rectifiers.  I also like the Mazda 5Y3GB/RFT in the rectifier position or the Bendix 6106 in the same position with Tungsram 12AX7 and RCA 5814.
I tried RCA, Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex, Matsushita, Raytheon, and GE in the 12AX7 positions, as well as RCA, GE, and Sylvania 5751’s.  In the 12AU7 position, I tried Amperex Globe, Telefunken (smooth and ribbed plate), Raytheon, GE, RCA, EI, and JJ.

Comparison To The Trumpet (Post Cap Upgrade)

With the right tubes, the Cornet 2 is very close to the sound of the Trumpet in my system from the midband up to the high band.  The main difference is that the bass impact of the Trumpet in my set up is first rate.  I can get the Cornet 2 closer to the bass quality of the Trumpet by using 5AR4 as rectifier but it looses the accuracy on the mid and the highs in return, meaning the bass seems to be prominent than the rest.  At about 100 hours on the caps (Mundorf and Sonicap), the results are very convincing.   It seems that each day, there were some minute improvements as the caps burned in.  It could be that or from the tubes settling as well.  

At present, I am leaving the (Sonicap/ Mundorf) configurations as is.  I am content with the outcome of my investment and will greatly welcome additional improvements as the caps reach users reported burn in time.  Even if the “burned in” settling of the caps were a myth, I will not lose sleep from the outcome of my project.

IMO, the Cornet 2 is a real bargain in terms of the price performance ratio.  It is a tweakers dream as well since you can try many different combinations of caps and tubes without abandoning your mistress.  The preamp is an ease to build and sounds wonderful.   The first week of operation might surprise you but if you give it a couple of weeks, the sound that this preamp is capable of will begin to bloom and form its character.   Afterwards, the improvement is astounding and will continue to do so for about a month.  Rolling the caps provides immediate feedback.  But it will be a mistake to judge its impact to the overall sound of the preamp if you run it only for about 24 hours.

The Cornet 2 is a DIY product that you can enjoy and learn at the same time building it.  With the quality of the PCB and the solid design concept producing predictable result (great sound!), it is difficult to understand why people who are shopping for a phono preamp within its price range failed to consider it.   With this type of quality available to DIY nowadays, there seems to be only one reason why the same people did not hear about this product.  They forgot to do their homework, that is!

System

Teres 255, OL Silver, Denon 103R, Benz Ace, Shelter 901

Hagerman Trumpet, Cornet 2, Supratek phono

Supratek Chenin Full Function Preamp

Linkwitz Orions

Tribute Step Up Transformer wired to 10X

Thanks for reading my report!

Cheers

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2006, 04:15 am by amandarae »

hagtech

Re: A Mini Review Of My Cornet 2
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2006, 02:31 am »
Great report!  I'll have to try out those Mundorfs.

jh

Eric H

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:29 am »
Great write-up!  I have a similar front-end (Teres 255/Cornet2/Clarinet) but my comparisons are not nearly as thorough as yours (yet!).  So far what I have found is that I prefer Tele 12ax7's in my system (didn't really like Sovtek LPS's very much - uneven/not smooth/too hot or something) and upgrading from Orange Drops + stock caps to Jupiters was a nice improvement.  I also use GZ34's.

I especially can relate to your comment about the first week of operation...  when I first fired up my C2 the sound was changing with every record side!  It was all over the place but settled down nicely as you say.  My guess is that this is the pc board or the electrolytics gettting settled in because coupling cap changes never caused this to happen later on...

OK, back to wiring up my step-ups  :D

amandarae

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:42 am »
Great write-up!  I have a similar front-end (Teres 255/Cornet2/Clarinet) but my comparisons are not nearly as thorough as yours (yet!).  So far what I have found is that I prefer Tele 12ax7's in my system (didn't really like Sovtek LPS's very much - uneven/not smooth/too hot or something) and upgrading from Orange Drops + stock caps to Jupiters was a nice improvement.  I also use GZ34's.

I especially can relate to your comment about the first week of operation...  when I first fired up my C2 the sound was changing with every record side!  It was all over the place but settled down nicely as you say.  My guess is that this is the pc board or the electrolytics gettting settled in because coupling cap changes never caused this to happen later on...

OK, back to wiring up my step-ups  :D

Thanks Eric!  I would try the Tele 12AX7's again in the future.  BTW, Off topic, what step up are you building?  There's a buzz in AA for weeks now about Cinemag.  Heard about it?  I ordered a pair to compare with the Tribute.  I used to have Lundahls and S&B, but sold them almost two years ago.  I should have kept them for comparison purposes.

regards

analog97

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2006, 01:11 pm »
Wowee!!  Tremendous information presented.  Compliments on your endurance.  I have never taken my Cornet2 apart.  I built mine with the Auricaps.  Same with my Clarinet. When I saw your "handles", I thought that might be the reason to take them apart, having been so pleased with the sound.  Now I think it might be fun to try such a well-presented "final solution" such as presented by you.  It looks like your last 2 pictures show your "final solution".  Less-skilled builders like me appreciate that!  It helps with the "orientation" of the capacitors.  Would you also be so kind as to list the exact specs of your capacitors/ordering information?  Now I also will follow-up on the tranny you listed (Tribute)....never heard of it.   Thanks again for all your hard work!!

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2006, 02:27 pm »
Thanks muchly for the cap & resistor rolling. It makes it easy for a novice to incorporate upgrades as you build without having to do all the hard work!!!

This review is much appreciated. I have saved it locally as an addition to the manual.

amandarae

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:14 pm »
Great report!  I'll have to try out those Mundorfs.

jh

Thanks Jim!

amandarae

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:48 pm »
Wowee!!  Tremendous information presented.  Compliments on your endurance.  I have never taken my Cornet2 apart.  I built mine with the Auricaps.  Same with my Clarinet. When I saw your "handles", I thought that might be the reason to take them apart, having been so pleased with the sound.  Now I think it might be fun to try such a well-presented "final solution" such as presented by you.  It looks like your last 2 pictures show your "final solution".  Less-skilled builders like me appreciate that!  It helps with the "orientation" of the capacitors.  Would you also be so kind as to list the exact specs of your capacitors/ordering information?  Now I also will follow-up on the tranny you listed (Tribute)....never heard of it.   Thanks again for all your hard work!!

Thanks for the compliment!  The Mundorf's are Silver In Oil 1uF 1200VdC type.  The Sonicap Platinums are 0.1µF / 600VDC for the C203.  In the C202 (RIAA) and C204, I used Sonicap Gen II for the 0.047 uF and 0.001 uF respectively.  Both are spec'd at 600 VdC as well.

The Tribute transformer is an enigma.  I could claim that there are only very few people who owns it.  It comes from the Netherlands and built with amorphous core Cobalt.   The problem with getting them is the wait.  It took almost three months for me to get them.  Pieter Treurniet(the owner) does not necessarily work on SUT's but output transformers of amps.  IMHO, the Tribute is great but it's long wait period makes it impossible to get.  There are many step up transformers that can be had today without waiting that long that are sonically great.  Research Cinemag on AA.  For less than $100, you have an all around performer!  

I discovered Tribute through a post in the Teres forum.  About roughly 2 1/2 years ago, there was a group of guys who compared the Tribute to an S&B with very favorable results.  I happened to own Lundahls and S&B so I ventured in getting the Tribute.  I endured the wait because I was comparing the other two SUT's during that time.

cheers

amandarae

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:50 pm »
Thanks muchly for the cap & resistor rolling. It makes it easy for a novice to incorporate upgrades as you build without having to do all the hard work!!!

This review is much appreciated. I have saved it locally as an addition to the manual.

Glad that it contained useful info for you Pat!

Regards

robertwstephens

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2006, 07:53 pm »
I would also be interested in the specs and source info for the Sonicaps and Mundorf caps.  Thanks for the sweet review.  Peace.  Robert

amandarae

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2006, 08:05 pm »
I would also be interested in the specs and source info for the Sonicaps and Mundorf caps.  Thanks for the sweet review.  Peace.  Robert

Hey Robert,

I got all the caps from here http://www.soniccraft.com/products/capacitors/film.htm
No affiliation whatsoever!

cheers

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2006, 08:26 pm »
You might want to try 12BH7's in lieu of 12AU7's....they are supposedly a lot nicer sounding...less vintage and lower distortion.  Should be a drop in replacement, no changing circuit. 

amandarae

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2006, 09:11 pm »
You might want to try 12BH7's in lieu of 12AU7's....they are supposedly a lot nicer sounding...less vintage and lower distortion.  Should be a drop in replacement, no changing circuit. 

I am on it!  I have checked and the BH7 have only slight difference on the Neg. Grid Voltage, Plate current, and Rp which should not be a problem! 

Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2006, 09:21 pm by amandarae »

Eric H

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2006, 12:56 am »
amandarae -

I am building the Lundahl LL9206's with the PC boards from K&K.
I've got an AT-OC9 I'm going to try with them.  My Teres is
only about a month old and I'm still working on a tonearm upgrade
(it's a 2-arm model - I have an RB-250 now but it deserves better
so I plan to add a Morch DP-6) and a better stand for it, etc. 
This is taking my frontend to far, far, higher levels that is has ever
been and once it's all in place I'll have to re-evaluate my tube choices.
Anyway, maybe when I get there I'll try to write up a review as nice
as yours...

Eric

amandarae

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2006, 06:02 am »
amandarae -

I am building the Lundahl LL9206's with the PC boards from K&K.
I've got an AT-OC9 I'm going to try with them.  My Teres is
only about a month old and I'm still working on a tonearm upgrade
(it's a 2-arm model - I have an RB-250 now but it deserves better
so I plan to add a Morch DP-6) and a better stand for it, etc. 
This is taking my frontend to far, far, higher levels that is has ever
been and once it's all in place I'll have to re-evaluate my tube choices.
Anyway, maybe when I get there I'll try to write up a review as nice
as yours...

Eric

Nice! 

GRD

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2006, 11:26 pm »
Excellent information.  Thanks for posting. 

robertwstephens

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:32 am »
Hello!  I wanted to make a report on the suggested cap changes from Amandarae.  I had built the Cornet2 with the recommended Auricap upgrades.  I have purchased some different tubes from Jim McShane with a variety of results.  I built a Frycleaner Pro and burned in the Cornet2 with some interesting results.  When Amandarae posted his preferences for rolling Caps, of course $140 starting burning a hole in my pocket immediately and I had to order a pair of Mundorf sio's and some Sonicap reference platinums.  The results were quite audible and an awesome upgrade in sound to the Auricaps.   I had no idea that changing caps would make that big of a sonic difference!  The strange thing is that the JJ tubes I tended to like with the Auricaps no longer sounded that great. I tossed in the Sovtek 12AX7LPS's that I previously wasn't that excited about, and the Cornet2 bloomed into a whole new machine.  After about 30 hours of break in(my Frykleaner Pro is making the rounds with my audio freak friends), the sound upgrade is quite awesome.  I truthfully never thought  my vinyl would ever sound this good.  I am now collecting parts for a Clarinet pre-amp and will definately be splurging for some Mundorf or Sonicaps for that project.  Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough review of your upgrade path for the Cornet2 Amandarae.  I wish someone would do the same for the Clarinet.  Maybe that will be me someday.  Peace.  Robert

amandarae

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2006, 03:47 am »
Glad that the caps upgrade worked for you Robert!