Center channel to match Song3 BeAT

kingcrowing

Center channel to match Song3 BeAT
« on: 31 Mar 2021, 04:19 pm »
What are you using for a center to match with the Song3 BeAT?

I've been fairly set on a 3.1 setup of the SC ST, SC SC, and a Rythmik 12, but now I'm wondering if the BeAT towers and a matching center without sub would actually work better. It sounds like the BeAT can be more forgiving for lower quality records (I've got a lot of Live Grateful Dead & Phish that isn't all "audiophile" quality), but I want a slimmer center like the SongCenter or HT2C not one of the 12-14" tall 3-way centers.

Jenner

Re: Center channel to match Song3 BeAT
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2021, 07:13 pm »
I love my HT2C but it matches perfectly with my HT2-TLs and the Song3 BeAT doesn't use any of the same speakers.

Call or email Jim to see if he can make a Song Center BE for you.
He made a new SS9C to go with the SS9.5 as well as an SS8 C BE to go with the SS8 BE so it seems like this shouldn't be an issue at all and you'll have a much better match than using a center with the RAAL tweeter and other mid/woofers.

kingcrowing

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2021, 07:57 pm »
Jim has a pair of BeATs in eucalyptus available now... I just emailed asking if he can make a matching center :D

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2021, 09:48 pm »
I’ve got 2 SongCenters.  One is with a dome tweeter and the other a RAAL tweeter.  I’ve used both but I ended up leaving the RAAL with the BeAT’s.  It fits my space better and I think it’s a better match than the OW tweeter. 

kingcrowing

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2021, 10:04 pm »
I’ve got 2 SongCenters.  One is with a dome tweeter and the other a RAAL tweeter.  I’ve used both but I ended up leaving the RAAL with the BeAT’s.  It fits my space better and I think it’s a better match than the OW tweeter.

That’s good to know! Does the RAAL Song Center keep up with the BeATs? I guess I’m just concerned that it won’t be loud enough to match them, but that’s likely easy to remedy with room correction if it’s a problem.

jd3

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2021, 11:58 pm »
I don’t have a problem with it.  I have a 3.1 system for HT that integrates with my 2.1 channel system. I use room correction on both (Yamaha 3080 with YPAO for HT and Anthem STR pre with ARC for 2 channel). 

kingcrowing

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2021, 01:05 am »
Sounds like a great setup! Do you find the sub really needed? I currently live in a townhouse so I can’t have crazy bass and my thought was these towers go low enough that I’ll be ok, then when I have a bigger space I’ll get a sub or two as needed.

jd3

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2021, 08:59 am »
I do like having a sub in the mix.  I had Encores before the BeAT’s and really didn’t feel the need for a sub.  The BeAT’s do go fairly low.  After I got the Anthem I pulled a sub from my HT setup downstairs and put it in the upstairs system.  I’m facing downsizing in the next year and likely won’t be running a sub in the new place.