NuPrime DAC-10H recognized by Windows and shown working, but no sound

reillyzing

I've checked device manager for issues there, made sure volume isn't muted and reinstalled the USB driver software. The DAC is recognized. Foobar, etc. show music files playing, but I have no sound.. What else should I look for?

rustydoglim

Try analog, optical or coaxial input to confirm that the DAC is functioning.  Then try other computer to confirm if the USB port has problem.

reillyzing

Try analog, optical or coaxial input to confirm that the DAC is functioning.  Then try other computer to confirm if the USB port has problem.

I can't check for sound over other inputs. I've only used the USB with a desktop pc. The pc has optical but I don't think it has ever worked. Just tried and the DAC-10H isn't recognized over optical. I don't know if a driver is missing for optical or what, but I've never been able to use it with any device.
I have a Windows XP laptop so can't use to check USB.

rustydoglim

It might be difficult to try it with another PC during pandemic, my advice is to confirm that the problem is with the DAC-10H before you go through the expense to send it in for service. If it has been working all along, and you didn't update PC USB audio device or certain that that this is not a software problem (update to the latest Nuprime device driver and give it a try if you haven't done so), then contact support for service.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
Hi,
If you're using an older computer os, try to locate an older Nuprime driver. I had this problem b4, luckily I had a old version driver in my back up disk. May work for you. You have to remove the current driver from your system first.
Hope it helps.

reillyzing

Where can I find the old driver to try with my XP laptop?

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
Hi,
Contact your dealer or customer support. I'm sure they have an old copy somewhere. I'm not home, but if all fail, pm me your email address and I'll get back to you in a few days. Sorry can't help you now.

giordy60

What else should I look for?

Is the foobar volume active?
is it to the max?
just to take away a doubt .....

Phil A

Where can I find the old driver to try with my XP laptop?

I am not sure about that - the NuPrime site indicates that XP is no longer supported - https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/dac-10/?v=b0c4bc877c29    There is information on what is needed to get XP to Windows 7 (not sure about your machine) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1V_fkHFiM

I recycled my XP machine (which I used as a secondary computer for a bit when I upgraded).  Recently, when Windows 7 was no longer supported, I upgraded the secondary computer to Windows 10 (actually works a bit better with Windows 10 - was prepared to scrap it and move my old Mac G5 tower from sitting idle to the spare PC spot in the bedroom - PC doesn't get used tons (a handful of times/yr.).

You could also consider a refurb laptop - I've seen then starting at about $120 - e.g. https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006740%20600514776%204017%204016&Order=PRICE

rustydoglim

Thanks for pointing out that Windows XP is no longer supported.  Time to replace the PC ?  You can get a mini PC for less than $300.

reillyzing

Thanks for pointing out that Windows XP is no longer supported.  Time to replace the PC ?  You can get a mini PC for less than $300.

The desktop pc I was using the DAC-10H with has Windows 8.1. My laptop, which doesn't get used for much of anything, has XP.