Considering Omega...

DBC

Re: Considering Omega...
« Reply #80 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:58 pm »
Congrats on the sale Rebbi,

If you are willing to use a sub, I'd consider the Super 3xrs along with the sub.  That way you'd have the low end you want along with the speed of the RS5 driver and you would still be able to sell your stands.  If I'm not mistaken, your room isn't large, so the RS5 would work out really well in there.

I have had many floor standing speakers over the years and none have matched the performance of my current Alnico Monitors with Sub. Monitors being smaller offer much more placement flexibility (especially in smaller rooms). Often with floorstanders positioning is a compromise between good bass and good imaging. My Klipsch RF-7's produce great Bass but Poor Imaging placed approx 2 feet off the front wall. Great Imaging but lacking Bass out approx 4 feet from the front wall.

IMO the flexibility of a separate Sub provides the best chance of getting the best Bass out of most rooms (especially smaller rooms which I have found to be more difficult with lower frequencies).

rebbi

« Reply #81 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:02 pm »
I have had many floor standing speakers over the years and none have matched the performance of my current Alnico Monitors with Sub. Monitors being smaller offer much more placement flexibility (especially in smaller rooms). Often with floorstanders positioning is a compromise between good bass and good imaging. My Klipsch RF-7's produce great Bass but Poor Imaging placed approx 2 feet off the front wall. Great Imaging but lacking Bass out approx 4 feet from the front wall.

IMO the flexibility of a separate Sub provides the best chance of getting the best Bass out of most rooms (especially smaller rooms which I have found to be more difficult with lower frequencies).

Very useful comment, DBC, thanks.

DBC

« Reply #82 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:13 pm »
Once you run a sub with an Omega + SET amp setup, have you in any way compromised the SET qualities of coherence, etc., by throwing a sub into the mix? Just curious what you guys think.

rebbi,

I have seamless integration between my Alnico's and Sub using Speaker Level connections (a second set of speaker wires from the amp to the Sub). This way the Sub is reproducing the same amplifier signature as the monitors.

I have tried Line Level connection (interconnect) from my preamp to the Sub several times and the integration using this connection method is poor in my system.

rebbi

« Reply #83 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:23 pm »
rebbi,

I have seamless integration between my Alnico's and Sub using Speaker Level connections (a second set of speaker wires from the amp to the Sub). This way the Sub is reproducing the same amplifier signature as the monitors.

I have tried Line Level connection (interconnect) from my preamp to the Sub several times and the integration using this connection method is poor in my system.

Since my ANK Kit 1 is an integrated amp, I'd be using Speaker Level connections, too. I think that your earlier comments about the flexibility of a sub/sat system with regard to placement is spot on. I have a sneaking suspicion that floor standing speakers just won't work in my room because it's a shared space (doubles as a guest bedroom) and I have limited leeway in placement. I really can't get the back of any speaker much further than  2 feet off the front wall. I now think this may be why, in my room, the Tekton Lore Reference that I borrowed, in spite of all its appealing qualities, seemed to image a little vaguely no matter what I did. So although I've never used a sub before, maybe it really is the way to go. I only wish I could afford your setup of Alnico's + sub.   :|

I'd probably be going with 3i or Super 7 + sub. 

rebbi

« Reply #84 on: 28 Jun 2015, 03:27 pm »
One other question, this one more in Fantasy Land. If I could somehow swing a pair of Alnico monitors, how do you think they'd mate with my 8 W, 300B SET. Is that enough juice to make the 93 dB Alnico monitors really sing in a medium/small room?

Thank you all for your inexhaustible patience with my endless questions!   :oops:

seikosha

« Reply #85 on: 28 Jun 2015, 05:01 pm »
Rebbi, I'd have no worries about power and your 300b amp.  If those Tektons were efficient enough for you then I'd think you'd be surprised.  Tekton seems to overstate their efficiency specs.  I've noticed that they'll spec some of the Lore models to the spec of the Eminence driver, not taking into account that there is a tweeter and a crossover in the equation.  I know that Stereophile measured a Tekton and it was a little over 6 decibels less than stated.

CanadaRob is happy with his two watt amp on his Alnicos and I'm figuring that I'll end up with some in the future and I plan on running them with my 2 watts as well.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #86 on: 28 Jun 2015, 05:09 pm »
Rebbi,

I have the no longer made 7" alnicos in an XRS cab.  Same sensitivity as the 6" alnicos.  The lowest I've run is 5wpc from a SEP amp with 6V6 power tubes.  Definitely enough power for me.

DBC

« Reply #87 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:50 pm »

Since my ANK Kit 1 is an integrated amp, I'd be using Speaker Level connections, too. I think that your earlier comments about the flexibility of a sub/sat system with regard to placement is spot on. I have a sneaking suspicion that floor standing speakers just won't work in my room because it's a shared space (doubles as a guest bedroom) and I have limited leeway in placement. I really can't get the back of any speaker much further than  2 feet off the front wall. I now think this may be why, in my room, the Tekton Lore Reference that I borrowed, in spite of all its appealing qualities, seemed to image a little vaguely no matter what I did. So although I've never used a sub before, maybe it really is the way to go. I only wish I could afford your setup of Alnico's + sub.   :|

I'd probably be going with 3i or Super 7 + sub.

rebbi,

The Alnico's may be more than you need for your room size. The Alnico's are pretty big monitors and may need a little more breathing room off the front wall than your room / set-up can provide. Canada Rob provided me with good pre-purchase advice, perhaps he can comment on your 11 x 16 x 8 room size? If it were me I think I would lean toward the 3i or Super 7. The Super 7 may provide a lot more Bass than you think in your smaller room.

I've read a lot of reviews from Omega owners that have or had a number of different Omega speakers and they tend to love them all. I get the sense from owners that each speaker is special in it's own way. If I were on a budget with your room size I think I would go with the Super 7 to start, with the option to add one of the Omega subs down the road if you think you need a bit more punch on the low end.

rebbi

« Reply #88 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:41 pm »
DBC,
Thanks a lot for the advice!

rebbi

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
« Reply #89 on: 1 Jul 2015, 12:01 am »
Happy to share that I am joining the ranks of Omega owners.   :banana piano:

Today I sent payment to member Sense63 for his ebony Alnico 7 monitors! These are like the drivers in the Super 7 Monitor and Super 7 XRS, except that they have an alnico motor. The cabinet, as I understand it, is the same as the Alnico Hemp Monitor.   :drool:

I am so excited to be getting Omega's and hearing what all the fuss is about.   :lol:

I want to thank member Ultralight for tipping me off that Sense63 wanted to move up the Omega line to the Alnico XRS and was looking to sell his monitors. I want to thank Sense63 for being such an awesome trading partner. I want to thank all of you for your patience with my endless questions in this endless thread, and to Canada Rob for answering my PM's.   :duh: :duh: :deadhorse:

Last but not least, kudos to Louis, who is such a gentleman and a straight shooter and has been a joy to talk to!  :thumb:

Yay!

FireGuy

« Reply #90 on: 1 Jul 2015, 12:06 am »
Congrats.  Your research and buying decision will pay off big time...  you're gonna love the sound of Omega.  Louis does it right.

rebbi

« Reply #91 on: 1 Jul 2015, 12:21 am »
Congrats.  Your research and buying decision will pay off big time...  you're gonna love the sound of Omega.  Louis does it right.

Thanks, FireGuy, I'm stoked.  :hyper:

Ultralight

Re: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
« Reply #92 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:16 am »
Very happy to see this work out for all three of you. Louis has been kind enough to take my calls and I am glad to be able to add a bit of value to his endeavors.   :D

UL

Happy to share that I am joining the ranks of Omega owners.   :banana piano:

Today I sent payment to member Sense63 for his ebony Alnico 7 monitors! These are like the drivers in the Super 7 Monitor and Super 7 XRS, except that they have an alnico motor. The cabinet, as I understand it, is the same as the Alnico Hemp Monitor.   :drool:

I am so excited to be getting Omega's and hearing what all the fuss is about.   :lol:

I want to thank member Ultralight for tipping me off that Sense63 wanted to move up the Omega line to the Alnico XRS and was looking to sell his monitors. I want to thank Sense63 for being such an awesome trading partner. I want to thank all of you for your patience with my endless questions in this endless thread, and to Canada Rob for answering my PM's.   :duh: :duh: :deadhorse:

Last but not least, kudos to Louis, who is such a gentleman and a straight shooter and has been a joy to talk to!  :thumb:

Yay!
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2015, 04:03 pm by Ultralight »

rebbi

« Reply #93 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:52 pm »
On another note, can someone tell me what the recommended positioning and height is for Omega's? Are your ears supposed to be level with the center of the driver? I'm trying to figure out what kind of stand I'm going to need.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 1 Jul 2015, 08:46 pm »
On another note, can someone tell me what the recommended positioning and height is for Omega's? Are your ears supposed to be level with the center of the driver? I'm trying to figure out what kind of stand I'm going to need.
I use 20" high stands including spikes with my Alnico Monitors.

beowulf

« Reply #95 on: 1 Jul 2015, 10:00 pm »
I use 20" high stands including spikes with my Alnico Monitors.

Where abouts does that put the driver in relation to seating position?  Ear level with the dustcap/whizzer, a little higher or lower, etc.?

pstrisik

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm »
I think this a good question to address, thanks.

I currently have XRS cabs and they are slightly below ear level with a tilt back.  Typically monitors are not tilted back.  The ones that I will be getting will be monitors on top of midbass cabs and the top of the monitors will be right at 36".  I'm thinking that will put the center of the drivers at just about ear level. 

Louis has said that the tilt seems to lift and expand the soundstage.  Would it be desirable to tilt monitors?  If so, I would be getting stands that are a couple of inches shorter so they could be tilted a bit.  (I won't have that option with my configuration though.) 

......Peter

rebbi

« Reply #97 on: 1 Jul 2015, 10:37 pm »
Peter,

Which speakers are you getting?

pstrisik

« Reply #98 on: 1 Jul 2015, 10:59 pm »

rebbi