DAC for tube amp

chim

DAC for tube amp
« on: 18 Apr 2014, 01:40 pm »
I have a  Almarro A205A Mk2 amp which is Single Ended Pentode running a pair of full range speakers.
I would like some suggestions for a tube friendly Dac in the $300-$800 range.
Would prefer Dac with more detailed/analytical presentation over warmth.
Are es9018 chip any good for tubes in general?
Would need coax, opt and usb inputs.
Audio-gd,parasound zdac, peachtree, schiit, micromega mydac keeps popping up during my search
Any tube loving maestro can advise?

geowak

Re: DAC for tube amp
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2014, 05:53 pm »
I am sure you can get a Benchmark for that price. I have a DAC1 USB that is very detailed and described as clinical. But I would not call it clinical. My other DAC is a Schiit Audio Uber. I think for the price it's really hard to beat. Very musical and lively. With USB upgrade and analog upgrade, it would go about $600. The Schiit with upgrades is what I would get if it were me.

I have a Line Magnetic Audio 216IA (integrated tube amp) running Magnepan MMGs. I have either a Sony Xa20es CD player or I stream audio with my Iphone dock. Both are connected by an Toslink Optical switch to use one or the other via the Bifrost Uber. I really love the sound. I listen to Jazz, blues and all kinds of vocal recordings.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2014, 08:45 pm »
I gotta tell ya, for the cash, it's VERY hard to beat the Oppo BDP 105 Blu Ray player.  It plays all spinning media, is a excellent DAC, and can act as a music server when connected to a HDD source. It evens handles FLAC files. 

BTW, the stock Oppo sounds so good that Modwright doesn't even bother with a solid state upgrade for it.  It's the Swiss Army knife of audio.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2014, 09:31 pm »
My fault didn't see price requirements.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm »
I think the Peachtree DACit X would be a good fit for you. It is well below $1000, is universally praised, and has all the features you want. If it didn't work out, you could very easily sell it. It is a popular piece of gear.

If the CI Audio VDA2 had USB, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat, especially on the used market.

chim

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2014, 01:27 am »
The Bifrost is on my radar, love the aesthetics:)
But from the reviews, they seem to have a warmer presentation.
Is there a noticeable difference between a Bifrost and one using a es9018 chip?

and how about the wyred4sound DAC1? or the Mytek?
I'll be blowing my audio cap with these $1000 dac's
Don't know if thats overkill for a simple amp like mine.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2014, 04:09 am »
The Bifrost is on my radar, love the aesthetics:)
But from the reviews, they seem to have a warmer presentation.
Is there a noticeable difference between a Bifrost and one using a es9018 chip?

and how about the wyred4sound DAC1? or the Mytek?
I'll be blowing my audio cap with these $1000 dac's
Don't know if thats overkill for a simple amp like mine.

A used Wyred DAC 2 can be had for less than $1000. The sound is phenomenal and the unit has tons of flexibility. Something also to consider is that upgrades are available. It's quite a lot of DAC for the relatively low price, but it sits nicely in the area of the market where one would have to spend exponentially more to get slightly better performance.

jai1611

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2014, 05:17 am »
Which full range speakers are you using? In my experience, the slightly bright analytical DACs dont work well with Lowthers - makes the system too lean

Off your list, I have owned an older model Audio GD (with PCM1704 chips). That was slightly darker sounding, not very detailed and had great bass. Have also heard the W4S DAC-1 in my system - tonally didnt work at all.

I use lowther based full rangers (with an active bass section) and a tube amp (using the same power tubes as yours but wired in triode mode).

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:00 am »
Have also heard the W4S DAC-1 in my system - tonally didnt work at all.

Hmmmmm? :scratch:
I find the W4S to be pretty neutral and detailed with great bass and a slightly warm midrange. Imaging could be better, but so could my listening room (set up / acoustics). It isn't the most "expressive" DAC I've heard either, which could just mean that it isn't putting extra emphasis in any frequency range. I have a hard time understanding how this DAC wouldn't work well in most scenarios, especially tonally. It's pretty spot-on for a sub $4000-$5000 DAC. Some may do things better in some areas, but on a whole the W4S is a major bargain for everything it does well. Honestly, I think the W4S could serve as a good benchmark for which one could judge other DACs lower in price and higher in price up to around the $2500 mark. With anything in this hobby YMMV and no one can pick what is right for you.

chim

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:34 am »
I am using a used DIY Fostex 166 e Bass reflex box.(20x12x10 in)thereabouts.
I probably would go with the Schiit Bifrost and upgrade speakers down the line.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2014, 10:58 pm »
Off the top of my head I'd say a used Bel Canto, Hegel, or Benchmark DAC (in that order of preference) should be doable for that budget. 

The Bel Canto (which I used with all tube gear) has the detail, but also clean, smooth and "classy" sounding. The Hegel DAC's I've heard also have the detail and are a bit more dynamic, but not quite as smooth / "classy" sounding as the Bel Canto.  The first gen Benchmarks are also quite analytical - a touch too much so for some ears. 

A Bel Canto 3 or 1.5 might be obtainable for around $800, though asking prices tend to be a bit higher, and I don't see too many 1.5's up for sale often.

A Bel Canto 3 is on offer here at AC for $985 asking, but perhaps would entertain an offer in the $800's. 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123206.0

There's a Hegel HD11 for $750 asking on Audiogon.

There's also a Benchmark 1 @ $700 asking on Audiogon.

jai1611

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2014, 03:29 am »
I am using a used DIY Fostex 166 e Bass reflex box.(20x12x10 in)thereabouts.

I've used the same speaker in the past, although with a pretty rubbish amp compared to the one you have. They are generally a bit warmer than the Lowthers so give you a bit more flexibility on DACs. I havent heard the Schiit DACs so cant comment on that specifically.

Hmmmmm? :scratch:
I find the W4S to be pretty neutral and detailed with great bass and a slightly warm midrange. Imaging could be better, but so could my listening room (set up / acoustics). It isn't the most "expressive" DAC I've heard either, which could just mean that it isn't putting extra emphasis in any frequency range. I have a hard time understanding how this DAC wouldn't work well in most scenarios, especially tonally. It's pretty spot-on for a sub $4000-$5000 DAC. Some may do things better in some areas, but on a whole the W4S is a major bargain for everything it does well. Honestly, I think the W4S could serve as a good benchmark for which one could judge other DACs lower in price and higher in price up to around the $2500 mark. With anything in this hobby YMMV and no one can pick what is right for you.

The Lowthers are tonally a bit lean so need something with little bit of extra warmth and sweetness to work best - particularly in my current room (the last one was more forgiving). The W4S was a bit too neutral. I compared it head to head to an old Assemblage 2.7 Platinum which, while clearly less resolving, tonally suited the speakers better.
I have a friend who uses a US$12k+ system and absolutely swears by the W4S-2 so I guess its a system matching issue. YMMV holds I guess

chim

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2014, 02:24 am »
The Hegel looks interesting but not many reviews out there.
Anyone else experience the HD11?

Maybe i'll add a super tweeter before i make the jump.

Currently using a citypulse dac from 7 birthdays ago.
Thanks Jarcher, Jai and Rdavidson for great insights to the various DAC.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2014, 03:21 am »
I've used the same speaker in the past, although with a pretty rubbish amp compared to the one you have. They are generally a bit warmer than the Lowthers so give you a bit more flexibility on DACs. I havent heard the Schiit DACs so cant comment on that specifically.

The Lowthers are tonally a bit lean so need something with little bit of extra warmth and sweetness to work best - particularly in my current room (the last one was more forgiving). The W4S was a bit too neutral. I compared it head to head to an old Assemblage 2.7 Platinum which, while clearly less resolving, tonally suited the speakers better.
I have a friend who uses a US$12k+ system and absolutely swears by the W4S-2 so I guess its a system matching issue. YMMV holds I guess

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Personally, and this may just be my preference, but I like sources that are as close to an open window (or at least seemingly close to an open window) to the music as possible. This way, you know if there's synergy issues, the source isn't likely the problem. From there one can "flavor" the sound to their liking with preamp, amp, and speaker choices. If you have a more obviously "flavored" source, it's signature will impact ALL components in the chain from the get go. Ideally, to me, knowing that speakers come in the widest variety of flavors, I think having a neutral source and preamp are best. From there, one should match amp and speaker qualities to meet their needs (listening habits, music preferences, room size, etc etc). Obviously, my thinking isn't the ONLY way to musical nirvana. It's just a method or approach that works well in my personal experience. :thumb:

jai1611

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm »
Personally, and this may just be my preference, but I like sources that are as close to an open window (or at least seemingly close to an open window) to the music as possible. This way, you know if there's synergy issues, the source isn't likely the problem. From there one can "flavor" the sound to their liking with preamp, amp, and speaker choices. If you have a more obviously "flavored" source, it's signature will impact ALL components in the chain from the get go. Ideally, to me, knowing that speakers come in the widest variety of flavors, I think having a neutral source and preamp are best. From there, one should match amp and speaker qualities to meet their needs (listening habits, music preferences, room size, etc etc). Obviously, my thinking isn't the ONLY way to musical nirvana. It's just a method or approach that works well in my personal experience. :thumb:

I had a similar approach till I heard my current speakers (which changed my entire approach). Its less than ideal but works in my particular case. If I am ever building a system from the ground up, will probably do it differently.

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2014, 01:59 pm »
I use this DAC with Fostex 206es heavily modified and numerous tubes amplifiers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124368.msg1320777#msg1320777

Got  him still for sale if you are interested

Ritchie

Hun7er

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2014, 06:03 am »
Check the Yulong DA8, it offers DSD support. It offers a dynamic presentation