Low Wattage Multi Channel Systems (It can be done)

Freo-1

Low Wattage Multi Channel Systems (It can be done)
« on: 27 Sep 2012, 11:58 pm »
 Recently, decided to update the main system, which performs a dual job of two channel and multi channel playback.  Since the speakers are all 93db/w or higher (they are all Legacy Audio), the goal was to get playback as close as possible to a live event (not as load as possible). After reviewing several options, went forward with the following:

1.     Pass Labs XA 30.5 for the mains (93db/w)  (This is slightly cheating, but close enough)
2.     First Watt M2 for the center channel (98 db/w)
3.     First Watt M2 for the rear channel (93 db/w)

The front end consists of the following:

1.     Pass Labs X 2.5 for two channel playback and used for bypass in multi channel
2.     Class SSP 300 for the processor.  Generally use the 7.1 input, which is all discrete
3.     Oppo BDP 83 Nuforce edition with full solid state mod (and XLR for two chanel)Audio Alchemy DDS Pro transport/Oretik Audio NOS DAC for CD

Tubes would have been great, but that gets a bit cost prohibitive at three amps.  After running the calibration routine embedded in the SSP 300, and using a calibration disc with my trusty Rat Shack SPL meter to set the levels from the Oppo, settled in for some listening.

The playback from this setup is remarkably life like.  SACD recordings sound like one is in the concert hall.  The SACD of Dvorak 8th and 9th symphony was like being there.  Tried the DVD of David Gilmour “remember that night”, and that was extremely enjoyable.  There were subtle details that came out I had not picked up on before.  The most impressive aspect about playback with the DVD was horns, saxophones, and vocals sounded real.  I think the M2, with its passive transformer gain stage, along with zero feedback, is a near ideal amp for center channel or rear channel reproduction.  Every multi channel recording I tried “just sounded a lot better”, with no harshness, grain, or excessive gain in any subset of the audio spectrum)

So, here is the point:  One does not necessarily need a lot of excessive power to get multi channel playback to sound like music.  The XA 30.5 is rated at 30 wpc at 8 ohms (with 6db of reserve), and the M2 is 25 watts at 8 ohms.  I believe Nelson Pass recently remarked that sometimes we go for wattage overkill, swatting a fly with a nuclear weapon, if you will.  :o 

There is indeed something to be said for reproducing that first watt correctly.  Many of us have lived through the power and specification wars, where amp X put out 200 wpc at 8 ohms, and claimed a distortion of .001, 0001, and sounded like crap (or too dry, brittle, bright, hyper detailed that does not sound musical).

A low wattage multi channel setup that sounds outstanding is achievable and worth the effort.  Multi channel can provide an extra degree of realism that two channel simply cannot achieve.  8)

*Scotty*

Re: Low Wattage Multi Channel Systems (It can be done)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:12 am »
Freo-1, I am not exactly sure that the front channels are all that low powered, according to Stereophiles 2009 review your amp has 195 watts/channel into a 4 ohm load at clipping, defined as 1% THD.
  See link
http://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-labs-xa305-power-amplifier-measurements

If my amp had the Class A power rating yours had I would be in hog heaven, alas it has a much smaller Class A window.
Your system unlike many "low" powered systems should rarely clip on dynamic peaks at anything like reasonable SPL levels. My calculations have you able to reach clean 116db peaks with the front Left and Right channels.
Should be an awesome Home Theater experience, especially on effects laden blockbusters.
 :thumb: :thumb:
Scotty

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »
Scotty, that's why I said I cheated a bit on the front L/R channels.   :oops:

The larger point I was making was that the center/surround channels add a rich dimension to both music and movies, and the M2 is truly is a low powered amp.  The zero feedback/passive gain provides a clarity and 3D aspect very few S/S amps achieve (and it does this with low power).

I think many folks could achieve great sound with all low wattage amps (provided they also had a subwoofer(s).  In this case, the Signature III's are a 8 driver setup (with 3 10" woofers), hence the need for the XA 30.5 (and no subwoofer).

Thanks for the feedback.  :D

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2012, 03:06 am »
I think the biggest problem with Home Theater is the reliance of most home theater systems on processors and amplifiers that are incapable of imaging. A really good system should be able to produce a convincing image including center fill, height,width and depth between any two channels you select not just the front two. Of course it doesn't hurt to have loudspeakers that also support good imaging. Many home theater systems rely on the bare fact that the channels differ from one another and that is considered adequate to produce the imaging required for watching a movie or video. I think you should easily be able to exceed the movie theater audio experience with a properly setup home theater system.
Scotty

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2012, 07:34 pm »
I think the biggest problem with Home Theater is the reliance of most home theater systems on processors and amplifiers that are incapable of imaging. A really good system should be able to produce a convincing image including center fill, height,width and depth between any two channels you select not just the front two. Of course it doesn't hurt to have loudspeakers that also support good imaging. Many home theater systems rely on the bare fact that the channels differ from one another and that is considered adequate to produce the imaging required for watching a movie or video. I think you should easily be able to exceed the movie theater audio experience with a properly setup home theater system.
Scotty

Totally agree.  :thumb:
Just breaking out my SPL meter and calibration disc, was able to dial in all channels within .5 db and one foot distance.  The difference in imaging and tonal balance is very noticeable. 
I know the vinyl crowd may not want to hear this, but a properly recorded symphony in multi channel will get the listener much closer to the original recorded event than any vinyl playback system can achieve, regardless of funds spent.