Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

nyc_paramedic

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #420 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:35 pm »
When a disc volume (USB hard-drive or thumb-drive) is connected to the BDP-1 Digital Player we are transferring raw digital computer data and not streaming audio from that drive. In other words, we are extracting digital bits without any worry over file corruption or inducement of "jitter" to the file.

James,

A couple of questions. I don't quite follow what you're saying in the above paragraph in regards to "transferring raw digital computer data" and "not streaming audio from that drive." You're using MPD (music player daemon) with locally mounted media. MPD does not yet have the facilities to load an entire song into memory, and in a stock mpd configurations file (mpd.conf) the default audio buffer size is 2048 KiB. From the mpd.conf man page:

audio_buffer_size <size in KiB>
              This  specifies  the  size  of  the  audio buffer in kibibytes.  The default is 2048, large enough for
              nearly 12 seconds of CD-quality audio.

So, in essence, we are streaming data from the USB media device, over time, to fill MPD's audio buffer and be decoded. This is true for locally mounted files or files fetched over the network. Or have you made modifications to the MPD source code?

And, why would there be "jitter" introduced or "file corruption" when copying digital data from USB media?

We are processing “Raw Digital Data” at the USB input on the BDP-1 and sending it through a buffer to the internal CPU.  We are not streaming Audio Class 1 or Class 2. By the way, the concern and discussions you hear about regarding  asynchronous versus synchronous with USB inputs has to do with the use of the USB to stream audio class one or two from a Source to a DAC. These concerns do not have any effect on the use of USB to transfer data from a storage device, thumb drive or hard drive, to the CPU over the USB bus like in the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player.

Yes, true. But the last sentence in this paragraph seems to contradict what you said about file corruption and jitter in the digital data stream in the previous paragraph. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something?

Lastly, you're using Linux and music player daemon which is GPL software. Searching your website, I could not find any source code posted. Where can I find them?

Thanks,

Nick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #421 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:42 pm »
Hi Nick,

I will ask the software guys to expand on that for you. 

We were just discussing today about posting the source code.  I believe it is mandatory - correct?  Also is there a specific place where you would recommend we post the code?

james

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #422 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:58 pm »
Hi Nick,

I will ask the software guys to expand on that for you. 

We were just discussing today about posting the source code.  I believe it is mandatory - correct?  Also is there a specific place where you would recommend we post the code?

For GPL code, yes. As far as posting, any publicly accessible place on your website should be fine.

Thank you, James.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #423 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:01 am »
Hi Nick,

From engineering:

Hello

Essentially what James is trying to get at, is the BDP-1 doesn't act as a midi device like the BDA-1 does and that the files aren't streamed over the network, but from a usb drive plugged into the bdp-1 preventing latency ("jitters"). 

We do plan to release a copy of the BDP-1's firmware on sourceforge with instructions on how to modify it.  However before doing this we are taking the time to create a copy of the firmware that will work with many sounds cards and not with just the modified sound card found in the BDP-1 before releasing it to the public.

Chris Rice
Linux Engineer Bryston Ltd

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #424 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:06 am »
Hi Nick,

From engineering:

Hello

Essentially what James is trying to get at, is the BDP-1 doesn't act as a midi device like the BDA-1 does and that the files aren't streamed over the network, but from a usb drive plugged into the bdp-1 preventing latency ("jitters"). 

We do plan to release a copy of the BDP-1's firmware on sourceforge with instructions on how to modify it.  However before doing this we are taking the time to create a copy of the firmware that will work with many sounds cards and not with just the modified sound card found in the BDP-1 before releasing it to the public.

Chris Rice
Linux Engineer Bryston Ltd

Excellent! Thanks, James.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #425 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:09 am »
James,

Any plans for a version of the BDP1 specifically for people who have just a USB DAC? Something like the PC Engines Alix 2d2/3d2 - MPD - Voyage Linux combo I've been using for years now? It's be very nice with the custom keypad and VFD display.

Nick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #426 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:17 am »
James,

Any plans for a version of the BDP1 specifically for people who have just a USB DAC? Something like the PC Engines Alix 2d2/3d2 - MPD - Voyage Linux combo I've been using for years now? It's be very nice with the custom keypad and VFD display.

Nick

Hi Nick - more info please - with pictures if possible?

james

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #427 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:24 am »
Hi Nick - more info please - with pictures if possible?

james

Here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62364.0

A gentleman I helped get up and running here: http://cheap-silent-usb-linux-music-server.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-03-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B01%3A00&updated-max=2009-04-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B02%3A00&max-results=4

Here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/326831/my-new-3-watt-dead-silent-usb-linux-music-server-pics-added

From the photo you posted of the BDP1 innards, it looks like you're using a PC Engines Alix 1d Geode motherboard. Can I assume you're using Voyage Linux as well?

I'd really like to see a Bryston digital transport based on MPD but for USB DAC's. I have an Ayre QB-9.

Nick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #428 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:20 am »
I'd really like to see a Bryston digital transport based on MPD but for USB DAC's. I have an Ayre QB-9.

Nick

Hi Nick - I am not all that familiar with the QB9 but aren't those types of USB asynchonous products limited to 96/24?

james

TomS

« Reply #429 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:42 am »

Nick

Hi Nick - I am not all that familiar with the QB9 but aren't those types of USB asynchonous products limited to 96/24?

james
The Wavelength based async products (including Ayre QB9) can go 24/192, via USB Audio Class 2 on Mac OSX 10.6.4 or Windows Thesycon driver with the right upgrade board.  I sure wish my BDA-1 offered that upgrade (hint - see XMOS USB design).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #430 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:21 am »
The Wavelength based async products (including Ayre QB9) can go 24/192, via USB Audio Class 2 on Mac OSX 10.6.4 or Windows Thesycon driver with the right upgrade board.  I sure wish my BDA-1 offered that upgrade (hint - see XMOS USB design).

thanks!

james

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #431 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:34 am »

Nick

The Ayre QB-9's produced after late July all have the USB UAC2 input boards installed. Mine is running 24/192 with Voyage Linux, MPD, and a recent snapshot of ALSA.

BrysTony

« Reply #432 on: 19 Nov 2010, 07:44 pm »
James,
In an earlier post I understood you to say that the BDP-1 could have either blue or green LEDs.  Is that something that must be declared at original order or is it changed during setup - perhaps with a remote control code?
Tony

James,
Your response was that green or blue had to be ordered.  I spoke with a dealer today that has some limited stock already but they were not aware of the green/blue LED option.  What is the default color and does Bryston expect that an order would specify an LED color? 
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #433 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:02 pm »
James,
Your response was that green or blue had to be ordered.  I spoke with a dealer today that has some limited stock already but they were not aware of the green/blue LED option.  What is the default color and does Bryston expect that an order would specify an LED color? 
Tony

Hi Tony,

Green is standard and Blue is optional special order.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #434 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:27 pm »
Thanks -- the standard works for me.  I wanted to be sure that I got the green to match the other Bryston units.  I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my order for the BDP-1.
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #435 on: 19 Nov 2010, 08:29 pm »
Thanks -- the standard works for me.  I wanted to be sure that I got the green to match the other Bryston units.  I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my order for the BDP-1.
Tony

Great - be very interested in your feedback.

james

AGP

« Reply #436 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:37 am »
Hi James.
Just had a chat with my dealer about ordering the BDP-1 & BDA-1 for January :drool:
I mentioned the talk on here about a possible package deal.  He mentioned that he has not heard anything from Bryston still.

Are we close to a call on this?

Any savings on this I can put towards the 4B SST2 that I am hoping to get as well, Looking forward to my birthday gift in January. :D   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #437 on: 20 Nov 2010, 12:05 pm »
Hi James.
Just had a chat with my dealer about ordering the BDP-1 & BDA-1 for January :drool:
I mentioned the talk on here about a possible package deal.  He mentioned that he has not heard anything from Bryston still.

Are we close to a call on this?

Any savings on this I can put towards the 4B SST2 that I am hoping to get as well, Looking forward to my birthday gift in January. :D

Hi AGP

No word on the package price at this point.  The request is in :D

James

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #438 on: 20 Nov 2010, 12:48 pm »
a question for all the happy BDP-1 owners:

does the BDP indicates the sample rate of the current played song?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #439 on: 20 Nov 2010, 01:06 pm »
a question for all the happy BDP-1 owners:

does the BDP indicates the sample rate of the current played song?

al.

Hi al,

It does on the (BDA-1) DAC it is connected to if the feature is there on the DAC.  On the Bryston MAX interface it shows the Sample Rate and the Type of File being played.

james