RMAF 2013

capwkidd

Re: RMAF 2013
« Reply #60 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:11 pm »
Wow, 7am  :o  Can't remember the last time I was up that early!  I can probably make it, then I'd have time to take a nap before the show starts  :lol:

Maybe you shouldn't mention that in public, at least to those of us that wake at 4am everyday :O lol

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #61 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:39 pm »
Maybe you shouldn't mention that in public, at least to those of us that wake at 4am everyday :O lol

Yes, but I'm usually working until 10pm and answering emails until 1am ... just not a morning person

capwkidd

« Reply #62 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:50 pm »
Yes, but I'm usually working until 10pm and answering emails until 1am ... just not a morning person

Seems to be SOP for small company owners....

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #63 on: 22 Aug 2013, 12:39 am »
Reservations made at the Hampton Inn, hopefully my schedule will allow me to make it this year!  BTW, call Hotels.com the rate is lower than what is on line.

Woodsyi - If I make it, I'm in for golf!

Mark
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2013, 03:10 am by golfugh »

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #64 on: 22 Aug 2013, 12:55 am »
There is stuff across the street at the Hyatt?  Is that something new this year?  I may have missed out a bit last year. . .

Tyson/Pez - I don't remember from last year, but are you two "upgraded" to Press this time around?  Considering what you've done, I think you've earned your chops at this point.  :thumb:

Last year I was sleeping next door to Wilson's room; I agree that it sounds like a hefty roll of the dice going across the street, but with the gear Wilson was rolling, and the amount of treatment they had to work with, they really could use a bigger space than what they had last year.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #65 on: 22 Aug 2013, 04:50 pm »
Got everything finalized.  :thumb: I'll be at the Hampton (again). Rental car from Costco (again). Think I'm even flying in and out on the same flights as last year (am I stuck in a rut?  :shake:)

Interesting that there are stories floating around about Vendors starting to look at a second Hotel - I think it's a good thing - means Business is doing OK. Hope the weather is as spectacular this year as it was the last two years (i.e. - no rain, or heaven forbid SNOW. I don't think I'd like to drive from the Airport in a rental car in those conditions)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #66 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:08 pm »
Interesting that there are stories floating around about Vendors starting to look at a second Hotel - I think it's a good thing - means Business is doing OK.
Might be the overall economy, but CAF was much stronger this year than last and AXPONA Chi was such a hit, that they have already moved to a bigger venue to accommodate. Seems like RMAF will do well again this year. That should be good news for both vendors and consumers.
See you all in Room 565

cheers,

AJ

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #67 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:14 pm »
Is your Boss coming with you? :)

Got everything finalized.  :thumb: I'll be at the Hampton (again). Rental car from Costco (again). Think I'm even flying in and out on the same flights as last year (am I stuck in a rut?  :shake:)

Interesting that there are stories floating around about Vendors starting to look at a second Hotel - I think it's a good thing - means Business is doing OK. Hope the weather is as spectacular this year as it was the last two years (i.e. - no rain, or heaven forbid SNOW. I don't think I'd like to drive from the Airport in a rental car in those conditions)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #68 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:14 pm »
AJ,

Looking forward to talk to you finally.
Might be the overall economy, but CAF was much stronger this year than last and AXPONA Chi was such a hit, that they have already moved to a bigger venue to accommodate. Seems like RMAF will do well again this year. That should be good news for both vendors and consumers.
See you all in Room 565

cheers,

AJ

SoCalWJS

« Reply #69 on: 22 Aug 2013, 05:40 pm »
Is your Boss coming with you? :)
:dunno:

She wants to spend a bit of time figuring out her plans. We ended up having dinner and a couple of bottles of Wine with some long lost relatives Sunday night after the show last year and I think she wants to do that part again.

Got a hunch she'll fly to Albuquerque  a few days before the show and stay with her friend and go to the balloon festival, then join me Sunday and Monday we'll fly home together, but this may wind up being a Bachelor trip.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #70 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:24 am »
AJ,
Looking forward to talk to you finally.
Mutual, though I swore I already may have, briefly, at one of the LSAFs. 2012 IIRC.
Either case, see you there.

cheers,

AJ

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #71 on: 23 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm »
Reservations made at the Hampton Inn, hopefully my schedule will allow me to make it this year!  BTW, call Hotels.com the rate is lower than what is on line.

Woodsyi - If I make it, I'm in for golf!

Mark

Hope your schedule works out.  Would love to have a round with you.  Anybody who puts golf in the moniker must be a golf nut. :thumb: 

I am too.   8)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #72 on: 23 Aug 2013, 12:15 pm »
Wow, 7am  :o  Can't remember the last time I was up that early!  I can probably make it, then I'd have time to take a nap before the show starts  :lol:

Good news.  I just checked and unrises at 7:06 on the 11th.  It's probably going to be 8 or earlier. 

Enjoy your extra hour of sleep.  8)

tonyptony

« Reply #73 on: 24 Aug 2013, 05:28 pm »
Hotel arrangements made. I couldn't do the non-refundable because there's still a chance in my case I might have to change my plans. Small, but I didn't want to risk losing that money.

BTW, this may have always been going on, but my friend and I learned a very good lesson this year about how hotels charge what it seems is anything they want when you call them up directly. He called the Hampton directly and got quoted $159/night for the same style room which he got for $129 night last year - and was listed for the same on hotels.com this year (non-refundable). He was told by the front desk that that was the rate for the show weekend! I booked the Hampton through hotels.com like many of us at a much better rate. We may be in for a surprise once we get there, or they may honor the web negotiated rate with hotels.com.

Anyway, he got ticked off since he'd been staying there for the last 4 years and he felt like he was suddenly getting jerked around. He decided this year to skip the Hampton and is staying, albeit further away, and the Residence Inn for a lot less money. He also called them directly. So I thought to myself it would be nice to stay in the same hotel as my friend, even though it isn't as convenient as Hampton. So I called them up directly, and like the Hampton did to him they gave me a ridiculous rate - $169/night! I told them hotels.com was showing the same room at $89/night. They said that was a web negotiated rate. I said "but my friend called you directly and got the same rate!". I figured I'd save on hotels.com's cut if I got the same rate over the phone. She asked "what's your friend's name?". I told her I didn't think it was necessary for me to give her that information. I suddenly got worried that they would try and screw him or something. So I just said thank you, hung up, and reserved at the lower rate via the Web.

So I haven't decided if I'll stay in the same hotel as my friend, in which case we'd split cab fare to and from the show, or stay at the Hampton. But it was an interesting view of what goes on when you call hotels.

capwkidd

« Reply #74 on: 24 Aug 2013, 08:04 pm »
I keep kicking around the idea of going, I secured the weekend off, so, no worries there. Last time I was out there, I wanted an encono car for the driving, the smallest thing they had was a hummer H3! Which, compared to my daily driver is like driving an 18 wheeler! And of course it got terrible gas mileage. At lest this year, there would be no issues with getting lost, as I have waze on my phone, and that appears to be the best nav so far, I just need to remember to bring a suction cup mount :). But, alas, I would probably have to stay at a hotel a few miles away, and, actually, the holiday in express is pretty nice, and free breakfast. What I did last time, was go get a huge plate of food from the dining room, eat some of it, and take the rest with me, I was set for the day, for food :lol:. I do, kind of, like the idea of staying at a hotel very near the hotel the event is at, and just walk.... and avoid a rental car all together.... we'll see....

SoCalWJS

« Reply #75 on: 4 Sep 2013, 10:40 pm »
Hotel arrangements made. I couldn't do the non-refundable because there's still a chance in my case I might have to change my plans. Small, but I didn't want to risk losing that money.

BTW, this may have always been going on, but my friend and I learned a very good lesson this year about how hotels charge what it seems is anything they want when you call them up directly. He called the Hampton directly and got quoted $159/night for the same style room which he got for $129 night last year - and was listed for the same on hotels.com this year (non-refundable). He was told by the front desk that that was the rate for the show weekend! I booked the Hampton through hotels.com like many of us at a much better rate. We may be in for a surprise once we get there, or they may honor the web negotiated rate with hotels.com.

Anyway, he got ticked off since he'd been staying there for the last 4 years and he felt like he was suddenly getting jerked around. He decided this year to skip the Hampton and is staying, albeit further away, and the Residence Inn for a lot less money. He also called them directly. So I thought to myself it would be nice to stay in the same hotel as my friend, even though it isn't as convenient as Hampton. So I called them up directly, and like the Hampton did to him they gave me a ridiculous rate - $169/night! I told them hotels.com was showing the same room at $89/night. They said that was a web negotiated rate. I said "but my friend called you directly and got the same rate!". I figured I'd save on hotels.com's cut if I got the same rate over the phone. She asked "what's your friend's name?". I told her I didn't think it was necessary for me to give her that information. I suddenly got worried that they would try and screw him or something. So I just said thank you, hung up, and reserved at the lower rate via the Web.

So I haven't decided if I'll stay in the same hotel as my friend, in which case we'd split cab fare to and from the show, or stay at the Hampton. But it was an interesting view of what goes on when you call hotels.
Yeah, I'm getting tired of the room rates going up as fast as they have. I may spend a bit of time driving around this year and seeing if I can find something else that's a bit cheaper than Hampton.  I've found that (so far, knock on wood), I can drive into the parking lot and find a space in the Show parking lot virtually any time I want. As you get to know your way around, it gets easier and easier. I may just stay further away, drive to the Show, stay for awhile, then take a break mid day - go get some lunch, take a quick break in my Hotel room, then drive back for the afternoon.

Starting to get excited. Looking forward to several rooms already  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #76 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:49 pm »
Only 4 weeks away! 1 Month.

:bounce:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #77 on: 24 Sep 2013, 10:58 pm »
17 days and counting :banana piano: :beer: :hyper: :hyper:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #78 on: 25 Sep 2013, 12:36 am »
Triode Wire Labs is pleased to announce that we will be exhibiting at RMAF again http://audiofest.net/new/store/exhibitors_profile.php?gbID=1665&Sid=e25f5e01621d742aa36fa980aa77932d, providing all the power cords and speaker cabling for the large (Marriott Tower 2) Suite 2024 (GR Research (Danny), Pi Audio Group (Dave), dB Audio Labs (Eric) & Triode Wire Labs) and also in Marriott 4th Floor Room 442 (Angel City Audio (Hugh & Tim), MG Audio (Greg) & Triode Wire Labs).

I'll be flying in Thursday AM, 10/10 if anyone needs a ride from the airport to the Tech Center vicinity, let me know... Tim (East Street Audio) & Dave Slagle are hitching a ride from me in my rental car...

Triode Wire Labs will be offering RMAF Show Specials as well!

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Cheers,
Pete

saisunil

« Reply #79 on: 25 Sep 2013, 03:10 am »
I'll be there to 'enjoy' the show - I may end up wearing Care-Audio shirt for self-promotion ;-)