Hello from the Midwest

Jstower

Hello from the Midwest
« on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:30 am »
Hello I’m Jim ,  I’ve been into audio since the 80’s and  interested in some upgrades to the system and room. Hopefully I can gain some knowledge here thanks Jim

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:41 am »
Welcome Jim  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2020, 03:11 am »
Welcome to AC Jim   :thumb:

forhill

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2020, 10:40 am »
Welcome

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2020, 11:48 am »
Welcome!

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition as the consummate audiophile primer for learning how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  In it you'll learn that every residentially sized room has severe bass peaks/dips (typically +/- 20 dB) that are best dealt with by use of multiple carefully placed subwoofers.  Of course starting with a "good" room (decent size, properly shaped, well insulated, and mid-field setup) is essential.  Check out Audio Kinesis (a child circle here at Audio Circle) to learn about swarm subwoofer systems. 

Once bass peaks/dips are addressed speakers can be even more important than the room, but must fit the room for the best performance.  Many audiophiles "over gear" the given room as they follow the lustfulness of big game hunters and keep wanting to upgrade with bigger/fancier pieces of eye candy rather than following their ears and brains.  Many fine passive speakers are out there, but to take a real step up suggest looking into active speakers (while avoiding the lifestyle/home slant).  Actives are what studio professionals use to record, mix, and master your music on.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:16 pm »
Welcome!

Jstower

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2020, 10:19 pm »
Thank you JLM, I will definitely pick up a copy of the book. Most of that as far as room setup and and placement of subs, I will need some help. Thanks for the AC welcome's      Jim