1st post - recommendations

jMelvin

1st post - recommendations
« on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:21 pm »
Hi everyone .. this is my 1st post here. Seems like a great site.

I've had a growing interest in Jazz for a couple of years now coupled with a complete lack of knowledge. I decided to just listen to radio (Pandora, PBS) for a while and find out what actually appeals to me before making a bunch of hapless purchases. So here I am after a year or so of doing just that and recently started purchasing some cds I thought I might like and some from "must have" lists I've seen online. I was hoping I could get some direction/recommendations from you all. So far I've acquired Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme, Giant Steps, Time Out, and Mingus Ah Um from the "must have" lists. I like them all actually, especially Time Out and Kind of Blue. I've also picked up: Stan Getz - Bossas and Ballads, Jazz Samba, and Getz/Gilberto. Sonny Rollins - Alfie and Saxophone Colossus. Joshua Redman - MoodSwing and Freedom in the Groove. Ryan Cohan - Another Look. Kenny Barron - Night & The City. And a compilation cd - CTI Records: The Cool Revolutions. Fortunately I haven't been disappointed with any of these purchases. I love the Stan Getz and Sonny Rollins cds in particular. I thought maybe some Art Pepper next. Bill Evans? Billy Strayhorn? Any thoughts? Thanks.

jazzcourier

Re: 1st post - recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:21 am »
You are doing great......Art Pepper "Meets the rhythm section" on Contemporary...the rhythm section is that of the Miles Davis group of the time and Pepper plays with a career defining passion and fire.One of those records you will listen to again and again.Bill Evans,anything,everything.Especially the live Village Vanguard sessions with Bassist Scott LaFaro where you will hear brilliant improvising and a re-definition of the Jazz trio.Cannoball Adderley and Bill Evans "Mean what i say" that is a big box of chocolates masquerading as a Jazz quartet,it is sweet.The new CTI re-mastered editions of the classic early 70's barnburners..."Red Clay" by Freddie Hubbard and "Sugar" by Stanley Turrentine both have added tracks and sound fantastic...two hard boppers that were forging a new,listenable version of themselves with the help of some clever production values.This was where the so called "smooth" Jazz began,lit it's fire,burned,packed up and left a tip on the table.I forgot how good these records were.It was a pleasure to have lived through them once anew and now again re-found.
Gil Evans.After Strayhorn and Ellington.You are doing great,time to get back to work.You got a lot of magic to hear.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:08 am »
A few you might like (off the top of my head) :

Joe Henderson .....So Near So Far (Musing for Miles)

Double Rainbow: Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim

Lush Life: Music of Billy Strayhorn

Oscar Peterson....... Night Train

Horace Silver ......Song for My Father

Miles Davis....Milestones

jMelvin

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:28 pm »
Thank you. This is great .. just what I was hoping for!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 09:42 pm »
Anything by Dave Grusin who's recorded albums all around the world. Finding them is half the fun and well worth the effort.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:57 pm »
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child, Maiden Voyage

Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder, The Procrastinator

Donald Byrd - Byrd in Flight

Kenny Drew - If You Could See Me Now, Dark Beauty

Chick Corea - Now He Sings Now He Sobs, Friends

Keith Jarrett - Standards (any of them)

Sonny Stitt - Constellation

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo

+ the other recommendations is a good start. You'll have a better idea of where to look in future.
neo

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:45 pm »
Gerry Mulligan
Dave Brubeck

jMelvin

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2011, 12:16 am »
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. These are more than enough to get me going in the right direction, some I haven't even heard of. This should be fun. Most appreciated.

mdfoy

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:40 pm »
Staples

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain
John Coltrane - Love Supreme, First Meditations

saisunil

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:54 pm »
Sketches of Spain ~ Miles Davis
Round About Midnight ~ Miles Davis
Somethin' Else ~ Cannonball Adderley
Moanin' ~ Art Blakey
Saxophone Colossus ~ Sonny Rollins
Getz / Gilberto ~ Joao Gilberto
Italia ~ Chris Botti

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2011, 09:19 pm »
Above is a great collection, many made to me when I began expanding my jazz collection a year ago.

A few more;

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Trane Whistle
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do
Clark Terry - Portraits

Is Coltrane's 'Blue Train' mentioned yet?

And for vocals, I've been listening to Ella Fitzgerald lately;
Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie, and
The Best of the Song Books.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2011, 10:47 am by etcarroll »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:56 am »
For vocals:
Of course Ella - Clap Hands (the tune A Night in Tunsia, oh my), and anything else she recorded

Shirley Horn - Travelin' Light

Betty Carter - Inside Betty Carter

Lorez Alexandria - The Great

Carmen McRae - Blue Moon

Rachael Price - The Good Hours

Dianne Reeves

mjosef

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:08 am »
Get anything by Dexter Gordon...personally I favor ' round Midnight', by then he was close to the end and very introspective, with a tone burnished by a lifelong string of experiences.

jMelvin

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2011, 03:51 pm »
Just a followup and again I thank you for the great recommendations. I've made a couple purchases since I started this thread and I thought I'd share. Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section .. fantastic. Stan Getz & The Oscar Peterson Trio .. wow. Bill Evans Trio Live at the Villiage Vanguard .. amazing. The Bill Evans discs are a revelation for me. I actually can't express how moved I am by these recordings. I'm thinking Dexter Gordon next.