Set Screw Issue on CC3 Terminal

ajzepp

Set Screw Issue on CC3 Terminal
« on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:08 am »
Hey guys...

So I've had my CC3 in storage for a while. And of course, when I finally go to move, I realize that theres some damage to it. I think it MAY just be that a mattress tipped over on it and pushed in the back (cloth) panel, and that it's functionally okay...so I went to fire it up, but somehow the negative speaker terminal seems to not want to take the set screw. I tried the set screws from my 3.6, I bought some new ones from amazon and tried those...to no avail. The positive side takes it fine, but it just won't thread on the negative side.

So my question is this: Do you guys have any suggestions on what might work with Maggie speaker terminals without the need for the set screws? Banana plugs maybe? Also, do you know if it's relatively simple to just replace that side of the speaker input with a new threaded opening in the bolt?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Set Screw Issue on CC3 Terminal
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2017, 02:16 pm »
Do you have a tap and die set?  It sounds like a thread is buggered up.
Failing that, bananas will snug things up.

johnto

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:44 pm »
I had the same problem and the tap as suggested did the trick.

jea48

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2017, 08:17 pm »
If you decide to run a tap through the thread again I would suggest you take the good machine set screw with you to the hardware store so you can get the same tap size and thread per inch tap. If the threaded hub has a back stop in it you will need to buy a bottom end tap instead of a standard tapered end tap.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm »
If you need me to run out to the garage tomorrow and tell you what size to get let me know.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2017, 05:18 am »
Thanks guys, is there enough wiggle room so to speak to re-tap the hole while it's in place on the speaker? Or would I need to detach it from the cc3 and then tap it?

This would do the trick, yes? The set screws for the Maggies are 8-32...looks like this has that size tap (?)
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-625-24-Triple-Tap-10-24/dp/B0002RI788/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485063345&sr=8-1&keywords=tap+tool+8-32

UPDATE: Disregard the wiggle room question...I see that the connections panel on the back of the CC3 just unscrews and comes right off very easily...so the tap tool should work...right?

PS. Mild tangent here, but do you guys have any experience with replacing the fuses on your maggies? I have heard people doing that over the years, but I never took the time to look into it. I saw this list the other day and thought Id check with you guys...  https://www.thecableco.com/newsletter-detail.aspx?iid=5924
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2017, 06:29 am by ajzepp »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2017, 11:52 am »
8-32 is the tap size, it'll take you two seconds to fix it.  Use a little lubricant on the threads and be careful as taps don't like to be bent from side to side and can snap off.

The dreaded fuse question...

Some people will say yes, difference
Some people will say no, snake oil
Some people will say just bypass the fuses all together.

My concern is that the audiophile grade fuses will not do what they're supposed to and I'll end up with a damaged speaker.
Things happen and I've even had an old Carver preamp cause smoke to come out of an MMG (yikes!) so I stick with regular old fuses.
Others feel differently.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2017, 01:23 pm »
Ref the fuse question I go with most speakers don't have fuses so why do you need them on Maggie's.  Which begs the question do they make a difference in sound quality?  In my experience very much so, wiping a large amount of the "Maggie mist" away, cleaner and clearer across the board.  As always, YMMV, and all mods performed at your own risk. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2017, 01:37 pm »
I tried a pair of AMR fuses in my 1.6's and they were bright and irritating.  Total waste of money.

If you cannot fix the set screw, consider getting a pair of locking Banana plugs for the speaker wire.  Bluejeans cables sells some nice ones-

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

jea48

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:39 pm »
Thanks guys, is there enough wiggle room so to speak to re-tap the hole while it's in place on the speaker? Or would I need to detach it from the cc3 and then tap it?

This would do the trick, yes? The set screws for the Maggies are 8-32...looks like this has that size tap (?)
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-625-24-Triple-Tap-10-24/dp/B0002RI788/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485063345&sr=8-1&keywords=tap+tool+8-32

UPDATE: Disregard the wiggle room question...I see that the connections panel on the back of the CC3 just unscrews and comes right off very easily...so the tap tool should work...right?

PS. Mild tangent here, but do you guys have any experience with replacing the fuses on your maggies? I have heard people doing that over the years, but I never took the time to look into it. I saw this list the other day and thought Id check with you guys...  https://www.thecableco.com/newsletter-detail.aspx?iid=5924

I would not remove the "connections panel" from the speaker. I would not disturb the speaker wires that are connected to the terminal. Can't you just lay the speaker down so it will be easier to get to the terminal?

You don't need to use the traditional tap handle to turn the tap. You will not be cutting new threads. You will only be cleaning, re-grooving, the exiting threads.
They make a screw diver type handle that should fit the tap. Ask the person at the hardware store where you buy the tap. You can also use a small pair of pliers to turn the tap. Also as I said in an earlier post you may need to use a bottom end tap.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2017, 08:04 am »
Thanks again guys  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2017, 02:03 am »
Success!!!  :thumb:

Thanks again for all the help, gentlemen...I got the hold re-tapped/cleaned out, wired up, connected to the last available channel on my trusty Butler amp, and BAM...beautiful Maggie sound coming from the CC3 for the first time in over five years. I'm really excited...

Now to start on my goal of getting another decade out of my Maggies AND my Butler. The Butler just got back from a visit to the mother ship, and it's sounding just beautiful. As much as I'd love to give Magnepan more business, I'm just really happy with continuing the journey with these 3.6s...I have no doubt the 3.7s are a step-up, but for the time being, Im a 3.6 man