The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #420 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:40 pm »
I run my HT in 2 channel mode.  Gets rid of the need for even an AVR at all.  With the Super 7s, I really don't miss the other channels.  I'd rather have 2 astonishingly great 2 speakers over "merely good" 7.1 channels.  The good news is that it would simplify things for your wife EVEN MORE, which is probably a nice thing for her. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #421 on: 25 Jul 2018, 09:45 pm »
I run my HT in 2 channel mode.  Gets rid of the need for even an AVR at all.  With the Super 7s, I really don't miss the other channels.  I'd rather have 2 astonishingly great 2 speakers over "merely good" 7.1 channels.  The good news is that it would simplify things for your wife EVEN MORE, which is probably a nice thing for her.
Interesting suggestion, but don't think it would work for us. Among other things, one of the main things my AVR does as serve as a switching device between multiple devices - Bluray, DirecTV, Roku, Playstation, and Google Chrome. I also like having a CC for dialog (when seated other than PRIME center listening position)

Tyson

« Reply #422 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm »
Interesting suggestion, but don't think it would work for us. Among other things, one of the main things my AVR does as serve as a switching device between multiple devices - Bluray, DirecTV, Roku, Playstation, and Google Chrome. I also like having a CC for dialog (when seated other than PRIME center listening position)

Super 7s are going to be more clear than a CC, even out of the prime spot (based on my experience).  Re: multiple sources, I see what you mean there.  I have 3 sources - a 4k bluray player with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon streaming built in, a Roku for Filmstruck, and my music server.  All plug into an Auralic Vega DAC which does the sound switching for me.  Since I only have 2 video inputs, they both plug into the back of my projector, which has 2 HDMI inputs. 

Maybe you should simplify your # of inputs by getting rid of some of those too :lol: :lol: 

WC

« Reply #423 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:09 pm »
That's my current setup, and something I am trying to get away from.

Other options to share a pair of mains you could manually switch cables around, get a switch box where all you have to do is turn a knob, get a new SS preamp with HT bypass, or burn through tubes on your existing Modright pre.  :wink:

ebag4

« Reply #424 on: 25 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm »
Wings will be similar to the  tp of the  original Super 7's.   That baffle  is  rougly 500 xx  330 mm

jay

Hey Jay, is 500 mm a typo?  Driver dimensions suggest it has to be more than 25”.  I can make anything up to 26”, maybe 27” work sitting on top of my H frames, anything taller I will have to consider whether I want to try them on some sort of stand.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #425 on: 26 Jul 2018, 03:46 am »
Hey Jay, is 500 mm a typo?  Driver dimensions suggest it has to be more than 25”.  I can make anything up to 26”, maybe 27” work sitting on top of my H frames, anything taller I will have to consider whether I want to try them on some sort of stand.

Best,
Ed

Me?   a typo?     ,  never   :lol:

yeah,  should be 700 x 330 mm (not including the  arc at the top).... can't  even  blame the  keyboard  on that  one... wrong  hand  !!

jay
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2018, 03:59 pm by Captainhemo »

Oscillate

« Reply #426 on: 26 Jul 2018, 07:39 pm »
Is this Super 7 variation going to be offered as just the top half of the speaker (MMTMM)
or is it going to be a full open baffle inclusive of the woofer section?

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #427 on: 26 Jul 2018, 11:59 pm »
My guess is youll be able to order either way.

This thread is stupid.....I'm sure its gonna cost me money
and an explanation to my wife.... :lol:

Captainhemo

« Reply #428 on: 27 Jul 2018, 04:19 am »
My guess is youll be able to order either way.

This thread is stupid.....I'm sure its gonna cost me money
and an explanation to my wife.... :lol:

:lol:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #429 on: 27 Jul 2018, 02:28 pm »
Yes, this is all Danny and Jay's fault.

It never ends. :duh: :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #430 on: 27 Jul 2018, 03:07 pm »
Yes, this is all Danny and Jay's fault.

It never ends. :duh: :thumb:

Sure it does, it ends with the Super 7 :P  At least that's what I tell myself  :o

Captainhemo

« Reply #431 on: 28 Jul 2018, 03:13 am »
A few  pics  of the  anticipated results with  side panels.  Panels are  modeled after the original S7
s at the same   position....

« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2018, 02:37 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #432 on: 28 Jul 2018, 01:54 pm »
Sure it does, it ends with the Super 7 :P  At least that's what I tell myself  :o

I told myself that with the Wedgie  :lol:

ebag4

« Reply #433 on: 28 Jul 2018, 02:37 pm »
I told myself that with the Wedgie  :lol:
+1  :oops: :lol: :lol:

Best,
Ed

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #434 on: 28 Jul 2018, 03:05 pm »
I have been working with new Super-7 baffles for the last few days and I finally have a version that produces a nice response and can be CNC milled from a single baffle with no protruding wave guide for the tweeter. So it will be a lot easier to make and will look cleaner.

I think this is going to work fellows. I can at some point release this design as a kit if the CNC flat packs from Jay are used.

Next Jay will have to replicate what I have here and I'll have to measure and test the baffle to confirm everything.

Without asking you to lay all your cards on the table for no reason other than to satisfy my curiosity, any hints as to what it took to solve the tweeter baffle problem without the protruding wave guide?  Unless I'm looking at the latest renders and missing something, it looks like the tweeter waveguide is asymmetrical?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #435 on: 28 Jul 2018, 03:18 pm »
Me?   a typo?     ,  never   :lol:

yeah,  should be 700 x 330 mm (not including the  arc at the top).... can't  even  blame the  keyboard  on that  one... wrong  hand  !!

jay

So roughly 27-1/2" x 13" . I take it 27-1/2" is the height. What's the height at the center of the tweeter?

Mike

Tyson

« Reply #436 on: 28 Jul 2018, 04:00 pm »
+1  :oops: :lol: :lol:

Best,
Ed

But in this case it's really true.  For me at least.  The Super 7 stopped my speaker upgrade-itis cold.  Partly because I'd hit RMAF for 10 years (and 2 more years since then), and I've never heard a better speaker than the Super 7 except for line arrays (which I could never fit in my space).  So yeah, for any reasonably sized room, the Super 7s are it, pretty much the pinnacle at least for me.

Why?  Why are the Super 7s so good?  3 reasons.  First, the Neo10 is flat out the best midrange driver out there.  There I said it.  Controversial maybe, but true.  Next is the fact that the Neo10 and Neo3 are made of the same material and have the same geometry, allowing a seamlessness between mids/highs that is simply not attainable with other speakers.  3rd is the servo OB bass.  IME that bass outclasses the upper portion of other speakers Danny's designed, but with the Super 7 it's a perfect match - world class bass plus world class mids/highs is pretty damn amazing.   

So for me anyway, I have no desire to upgrade my speakers.

Now, however, they did kick off a round of upgrades to my associated equipment that cost me a fair bit  :lol:

JDUBS

« Reply #437 on: 28 Jul 2018, 04:16 pm »
So roughly 27-1/2" x 13" . I take it 27-1/2" is the height. What's the height at the center of the tweeter?

Mike

Wouldn't it be ~27.5" / 2?  Looks like its right in the center, vertically and horizontally.

-Jim

Tyson

« Reply #438 on: 28 Jul 2018, 04:26 pm »
Wouldn't it be ~27.5" / 2?  Looks like its right in the center, vertically and horizontally.

-Jim

Looks offset toward the top by an inch or so (at least to these eyes).

Captainhemo

« Reply #439 on: 28 Jul 2018, 05:23 pm »
Without asking you to lay all your cards on the table for no reason other than to satisfy my curiosity, any hints as to what it took to solve the tweeter baffle problem without the protruding wave guide?  Unless I'm looking at the latest renders and missing something, it looks like the tweeter waveguide is asymmetrical?

The wave guide  has been a continuous evolution, the  hardest partis tht it  is a bit different for each design depending on  baffle  dimensions.
When  we did the  single Neo 3 single  Neo 10  in waveguides, the results were exellent,with both drivers  mounted on the rear and each in their own  waveguide.  Unfortunately, as  Danny  posted earlier in this thread, when   we did the same with   the drivers of the S7, it had  some very  negative effects on the Neo3. 
Now we've got the  Neo10's on the front sunk to a depth that works  with the  Neo3   in the  waveguide.  We've been able to  keep the  wave guide shallow enough  to allow for a  deep  tweeter mount on the rear but  still  deep enough to allow for a   low  cross over point .

Mike

Mike,   
 14.2 " to  tweeter  center

jay