My 12 year old 55 inch Panasonic plasma just won't die!

Emil

Re: My 12 year old 55 inch Panasonic plasma just won't die!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:23 pm »
The only downside to the TCL (and maybe other new TVs at this point) is the main display. Since it has an integrated Roku the main display is similar and includes promotional ads for other channels that pop up on the right side of the screen and you can't get rid

Say what?

randytsuch

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:26 pm »
The only downside to the TCL (and maybe other new TVs at this point) is the main display. Since it has an integrated Roku the main display is similar and includes promotional ads for other channels that pop up on the right side of the screen and you can't get rid

Say what?

Yeah, what's with that?
Sounds pretty annoying.

I have a stand alone roku box, and I don't have promo ads popping up.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:33 pm »
 :thumb:
I have had good reliability over the years with television.
This is going to be hilarious I know! But true...
Unplugged my 19" JVC for Y2K. On a bet from my brother the ultimate  KC Chiefs fan I agreed to try to leave it off a year for $500.
Never turned it back on and gave it to my daughter when I moved into our lake house!
Going on 19 years now.   :)

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2018, 08:15 pm »
I purchased both 55" and 42" Panasonic Plasma TV's the day we moved into our current house, that was a little over 10 years ago. The 55" is in the family room and is more or less on from 6:30am to 10:00pm (don't ask...my wife like to leave it on for the dogs). Anyway, I've been waiting patiently for it to crap out but it's still running strong. Amazing.

syzygy

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2018, 08:19 pm »
My 55” is over 8 years old and still works fine.

dburna

« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2018, 09:39 pm »
For any of you who have a nice 55" plasma screen that won't die, please ship it directly to my house. I promise to break it for you so you can purchase a new TV. And you don't have to worry, I will take care of disposal for you. You can thank me later.   :lol:

-dGB

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm »
For any of you who have a nice 55" plasma screen that won't die, please ship it directly to my house. I promise to break it for you so you can purchase a new TV. And you don't have to worry, I will take care of disposal for you. You can thank me later.   :lol:

-dGB

Funny, the Canadian government has figured out how to charge us a $50 "environmental impact fee" when we buy a TV and i believe they charge another fee when you recycle it. Your tongue in cheek offer actually sounds pretty good to me.

Samac

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2018, 12:18 am »
Was bummed when our Panasonic plasma failed about a month ago. Was thrilled when I was able to get the  board that failed repaired. If it lasts until the higher end OLED prices come down I'll be very pleased. Heck, if it lasts ten more years I'll be even more pleased.

The picture on it is so good I have no desire to get a new tv.

Cheers,

Scott

Saturn94

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2018, 12:29 am »
I still love my 10 year old 60” Pioneer Elite Kuro and have no desire to replace it.  :D

twitch54

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2018, 12:51 am »
my (I don't know how old) 42" Panasonic plasma in my office still looks great ........

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:05 am »
Yeah, what's with that?
Sounds pretty annoying.

I have a stand alone roku box, and I don't have promo ads popping up.

Trade-off I guess for being so affordable. I paid less than $600 for mine and I would have had to double that to beat it. But yeah, the promotional thingy can be annoying.

I don't think some folks caught the power consumption part though. Seriously, plasmas can easily use 400-500 Watts, especially the older models. So you are paying an energy tax on top of the cost. If it were top of the image chain like it used to be, it would be worth it. Now you're just losing money. Basically using old tech AND paying interest on it.

I paid $1400 for Panny back in 2008. Had it for 10 years. Let's say I conservatively used $8/mo in electricity. That's almost a $1000 on top of the initial cost. So by early this year I had a $2400 TV that performed worse than a $600 one that uses only 1/8 to 1/4 the power...

guf

« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:11 am »
I just replaced my Panasonic VT30 65 inch with the LG oled C8. Its so beautiful I watch more than I have in years. I also got an Nvidia shield and its  replaced my HTCP for streaming movies from my NAS. I'm so happy with my purchase.

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:23 am »
I just replaced my Panasonic VT30 65 inch with the LG oled C8. Its so beautiful I watch more than I have in years. I also got an Nvidia shield and its  replaced my HTCP for streaming movies from my NAS. I'm so happy with my purchase.

OLEDs are so f'n gorgeous.

But I will wait until next year when the prices are supposed to drop because of Iphone supply demand and Samsung's monopoly on the tech loosening with companies like LG ramping up their offerings.

stlrman

« Reply #33 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:33 am »
12 years Samsung plasma .
Picture looks great. 42 inch

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #34 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:35 am »

But I will wait until next year when the prices are supposed to drop because of Iphone supply demand and Samsung's monopoly on the tech loosening with companies like LG ramping up their offerings.

So are you talking about next spring/summer when the new models usually come out? Or later next year?

wushuliu

« Reply #35 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:42 am »
So are you talking about next spring/summer when the new models usually come out? Or later next year?

A year from now. Prices always drop on new models this time of year (Black Friday through weekend of the Super Bowl).

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:42 am »
OLEDs are so f'n gorgeous.

In this CNet review on the LG, it says a cheaper version will be released later this year.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/lg-oled65c8pua-review/

Oops, I guess this is later in the year. :duh:

Samac

« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:49 am »
My 42" Panasonic plasma uses 293 watts. A 55" LG OLED uses 370 watts. I spent a few days investigating new tvs when my Panasonic was in for repair. There are many video afficianados who believe that plasma is still top of the image chain.

From what I've found top OLEDs are also still behind plasma with regard to viewing angle and especially motion. I'm sure I'll end up with an OLED one of these days but that won't happen until my plasma is dead. Hopefully by then OLEDs will have surpassed or at least caught up with plasma.

Cheers,

Scott

Trade-off I guess for being so affordable. I paid less than $600 for mine and I would have had to double that to beat it. But yeah, the promotional thingy can be annoying.

I don't think some folks caught the power consumption part though. Seriously, plasmas can easily use 400-500 Watts, especially the older models. So you are paying an energy tax on top of the cost. If it were top of the image chain like it used to be, it would be worth it. Now you're just losing money. Basically using old tech AND paying interest on it.

I paid $1400 for Panny back in 2008. Had it for 10 years. Let's say I conservatively used $8/mo in electricity. That's almost a $1000 on top of the initial cost. So by early this year I had a $2400 TV that performed worse than a $600 one that uses only 1/8 to 1/4 the power...

wushuliu

« Reply #38 on: 30 Nov 2018, 02:02 am »
My 42" Panasonic plasma uses 293 watts. A 55" LG OLED uses 370 watts. I spent a few days investigating new tvs when my Panasonic was in for repair. There are many video afficianados who believe that plasma is still top of the image chain.

From what I've found top OLEDs are also still behind plasma with regard to viewing angle and especially motion. I'm sure I'll end up with an OLED one of these days but that won't happen until my plasma is dead. Hopefully by then OLEDs will have surpassed or at least caught up with plasma.

Cheers,

Scott

Those factors are dependent on the brand and model. I am not unilaterally advocating every new TV as being better. Some handle motion better, some don't. Same with viewing angle. Just like some plasmas are better than others. If you have a $$$$ Kuro 1080P, is it still better than the average new 4K LED? Maybe? Better than an OLED? Hmmm...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #39 on: 30 Nov 2018, 02:13 am »
When I saw this years LG OLED, I think it was a B8 or C8, it was the first tv that made me want to upgrade from my 2013 Panny VT60. I’ve done everything to extract all the best out of my plasma but looking at the LG even under horrible lighting in a Best Buy I could tell it was far superior. It’s the first I’ve seen that not only has better color/contrast/detail but also has that great cinematic feel that my plasma has given me.