Get well Dennis Murphy

Randy

Re: Get well Dennis Murphy
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:08 pm »

Hi Dennis,
   Hadn't heard you were ill, but glad you are near 100% again.
   Still loving the Slims you made me a few years back - in the Salk teak finish. Not sure if you remember that my brother in law and I came to your house to look at them before they were finished.  He liked your piano, I loved the speaker cabinets you'd just gotten back from Michigan. You were working on a hybrid set for Van Alstine that sounded stupendous.
Best always,
Randy

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #41 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:19 pm »
Hi Randy    I have only a faint recollection of your visit, but I'm certainly glad to hear you're still liking the Slims.  And I'm also glad you were impressed by my mods to the Philharmonic 3.  Van Alstine wanted to be able to listen to his 3's with either the stock midrange and tweeter, or with the Seas Exotic mid and tweet.  So I rigged up different crossovers and wired things so he could use either set of drivers by switching upper cabinets.  I thought the Exotica version sounded fine, but Van Alstine hated it.  I've never figured that one out. 

Saturn94

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jun 2019, 10:50 pm »
Thanks Alex.  I'm pretty much 100% of normal and am getting involved in some interesting projects.  It's great to be back.

I’m happy to hear you’re doing much better! :D

Randy

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jun 2019, 11:31 pm »
Hi Randy    I have only a faint recollection of your visit, but I'm certainly glad to hear you're still liking the Slims.  And I'm also glad you were impressed by my mods to the Philharmonic 3.  Van Alstine wanted to be able to listen to his 3's with either the stock midrange and tweeter, or with the Seas Exotic mid and tweet.  So I rigged up different crossovers and wired things so he could use either set of drivers by switching upper cabinets.  I thought the Exotica version sounded fine, but Van Alstine hated it.  I've never figured that one out.

Dennis,
   We came over on a summer Sunday morning. We were visiting my other sister who lives in Silver Spring (Leisure World.) My brother in law has a Mason Hamlin piano but he was mightily impressed with your, German-made I think, piano.He was well aware of the brand, but I'd never heard of it and can't remember what it was. Do you still have it?
    You might recall this snafu by Salk's team with those Slims.  I requested and picked out a veneer in teakwood. Jim's builder had never heard of teakwood, so he started making a pair in straight black for somebody he thought was named "Mr. Teak." They were nearly finished when somebody figured out the mistake. Set us back at least a month or more.  LOL.
     I wondered what happened to those hybrid Philharmonic 3s because I never saw Frank mention them.  Go figure.

Randy

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2019, 12:42 am by Randy »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #44 on: 18 Jun 2019, 02:02 am »
Oh NOW I remember.  I'm so sorry Mr. Teak never got his speakers.   That was one of those goof ups that I was laughing too hard to complain about.  I still have the piano, and it still sounds just as dreadful when I play it.  It was made by a company started by John Steinway and a dude named Friedrich Grotrian in 1858.  Steinway took off for New York, but the company is still going strong and selling pianos under the Grotrian-Steinweg moniker. 

Randy

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jun 2019, 01:03 am »
Oh NOW I remember.  I'm so sorry Mr. Teak never got his speakers.   That was one of those goof ups that I was laughing too hard to complain about.  I still have the piano, and it still sounds just as dreadful when I play it.  It was made by a company started by John Steinway and a dude named Friedrich Grotrian in 1858.  Steinway took off for New York, but the company is still going strong and selling pianos under the Grotrian-Steinweg moniker.

Dennis,
  Mr. Teak must have gotten the black pair. It was hard to figure that a professional wood worker wouldn't know about beautiful teak hardwood and veneer.  35 years ago I had a pair of Spendor SP-1s in a gorgeous teak finish and wanted something like it for the Slims. As you know, they turned out to be beautiful in an understated way, and sound just the same- terrific.
  Grotian. My brother-in-law, a Princeton music major (organ), knew about them, and was hugely impressed to see your model. I used to play a little piano, but my piano is a Wurlitzer console model my mom bought for me when I moved to Wyoming to teach school. It cost about $900 in 1977!
  Keep well.

Randy

Randy