Stupid PC audio output question

Bill Epstein

Stupid PC audio output question
« on: 10 Dec 2007, 03:36 am »
I've been all over the asylum archives and the Dell site but can't find the answer. What is the typical Windows PC output in volts to the speakers? My liddle speakers have an 18.5 vDC transformer.

I just want to take the output as is and use a better DIY amplifier and speakers. No DACs, no FLACs, just the mini plug to pre-amp/amp.

hagtech

Re: Stupid PC audio output question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2007, 06:43 pm »
It all depends on the sound card.  I would expect a "line" level of around 1Vrms full scale.  0dBu is 0.775Vrms, or 1mW into 600 ohms.  CD players using the redbook specification output 2.0Vrms, I believe.  Budget headphones (we're talking the $5 variety often used with computers) don't need this much voltage swing, but I imaging the headphone outputs capable of 1Vrms.  Bascially, me thinks you can use a sound card or headphone output as a line level to plug directly into a power amplifier.

jh

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2007, 07:31 pm »
Yup, you can do that Bill. "Computer speakers" have their own amplifier and accept a line level signal from the sound card's line out. I connect Dell Dimension 2400 integrated sound card line out jack to my receiver aux in using a radio shack 1/8" stereo to RCA stereo cable adapter, line level gain is just right. Open Windows Volume Control dialog and push wav slider and master "Volume control" to max to minimize loss of resolution. Computer speakers usually have no volume control other than the software slider, but your hifi amp's analog volume control will sound much, much better especially at low volumes where the software volume control throws away too much data and starts to sound grungy. Check that your sound card drivers are up to date too. Have fun!
Rich

tanchiro58

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2007, 07:45 pm »
I totally agree with Jim. My Dell XPS 810 has a better sound card than the one I had before. I use a Harman speakers with a little oval subwoofer (do not remember the model) for years. The audio part still sounds good to me (as a hifi sound like HT sound not a high-end sound like my two channel system).  I am interested in trying this way too. If I have a chance I will try to connect to my AVA SS amp (modified from a Dynaco amp) and will see how they sound.

Bill Epstein

Re: One more Stupid PC audio output question
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:17 am »
Thanks guys.

Now, my output is a single female mini, integrated card. Is there an adapter to get separate L-R? Or do I need a separate card?

WGH

Re: One more Stupid PC audio output question
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2007, 03:57 pm »
Thanks guys.

Now, my output is a single female mini, integrated card. Is there an adapter to get separate L-R? Or do I need a separate card?

Do you mean like this?

RadioShack Gold Series Audio Y-Adapter

$6.99
Model: 274-883
Catalog #: 274-883

Bill Epstein

Re: Excellent! 21st Century, here I come!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2007, 05:39 pm »
I just called my local and it's in stock. Thank you.

Bill Epstein

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2007, 09:13 am »
Do you mean like this?

You, WGH, are a steely-eyed missile man!. Good-bye little-bitty Polks.

I just now hooked up my dusty (but restored) Marantz 2215B and 2Pi speakers with that Radio Shack thingabob and have great PC sound.