A newbie with a new One.2 "Classic"

EL84

A newbie with a new One.2 "Classic"
« on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:16 am »
Hi...everybody. I'm new to Virtue Audio and this circle. I've been curious about Tripath amps for a while but have been a little skeptical about how good they would sound. Right before Christmas I bought a pair of Zu Audio Omen speakers. They sound incredible with my existing system. Since they're so efficient (98 dB) I thought it would be a good time to try a t-amp. Did a lot of reading on-line and liked what I heard about Virtue Audio. I ordered a One.2 Classic in the Mesa Yellow finish. It came yesterday. I've only been able to listen to it for about half an hour so far. I immediately noticed that with the Zu speakers, this little amp rocks! It sounds way better than it should for the price. There's tons of info here on these amps and I'm sure that I'll be asking some advice from long time Virtue users.  :D :D :D

OzarkTom

Re: A newbie with a new One.2 "Classic"
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:37 pm »
Hi...everybody. I'm new to Virtue Audio and this circle. I've been curious about Tripath amps for a while but have been a little skeptical about how good they would sound. Right before Christmas I bought a pair of Zu Audio Omen speakers. They sound incredible with my existing system. Since they're so efficient (98 dB) I thought it would be a good time to try a t-amp. Did a lot of reading on-line and liked what I heard about Virtue Audio. I ordered a One.2 Classic in the Mesa Yellow finish. It came yesterday. I've only been able to listen to it for about half an hour so far. I immediately noticed that with the Zu speakers, this little amp rocks! It sounds way better than it should for the price. There's tons of info here on these amps and I'm sure that I'll be asking some advice from long time Virtue users.  :D :D :D

I quickly sold my $1200 Peachtree Nova amp because of the One.2 that I had ordered. It was not even close.

dboulet

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2011, 12:42 am »
Welcome EL84,

I've been thinking of matching up my Sensation with a pair of Omens, would you mind describing the type of sound you get from this setup?

EL84

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2011, 07:18 am »
Well, keep in mind that neither the Zu Omens or the One.2 are broken-in yet. The speakers have about 30 hrs. on them so far. The sound reminds me of a tube amp in a lot of ways. Plenty of warmth with a good bit of detail. The midrange is what really caught my attention. I was listening to a Diana Krall CD and it sounded like she was in the room with me. I think the One.2 and Zu speakers work well together. Just seems like everything gets out of the way and lets you enjoy the music. It's funny that OzarkTom mentioned Peachtree Audio. I have an iDecco which has a lot of good features and is pretty versatile, but this little One.2 sounds every bit as good at about 1/3 the price. I've got a couple of tube amps that I want to compare it to when I have time.  :thumb: