Best speakers under $3000 USD ??

Freo-1

Re: Best speakers under $3000 USD ??
« Reply #200 on: 18 Jul 2020, 10:54 pm »
I used to think that way also until a few years ago when I had some monitors that I really liked and added a pair of really good subs with them.
It was less imposing in my room, sounded just as good, was less expensive (in my case), and allowed a wider variety of amplifiers to choose from.

I get where you are coming from.  I'm sure with some rooms, a monitor/sub setup can work well.  I had excellent monitors and subs at my previous abode, and it was working reasonably well.  Getting the subs set up was a  real pain in the ass.

Having said that, when I moved to my current abode, the room dimensions were quite different.  The room is larger, higher ceilings. more open.  Wound up selling the monitor/sub setup, as the large floor standing option wound up sounding much better in this space.  There was also an issue working out where to place the sub(s) with all the additional furniture placed in the space,  not to mention equipment racks and large screen TV (the spouse acceptance factor comes into play). 

Luckily, a pair of large floor standing speakers was deemed acceptable. but additional subs on top of the TV/equipment rack, well.... :green:

AvsFan

« Reply #201 on: 18 Jul 2020, 11:31 pm »
I'm the Lore/DW friend.  Yes, I find the DW at a different performance level than the Lores I have owned since 2010.  I totally rebuilt the Lore crossovers with higher quality parts, re-wired with DH Labs silver hookup wire, and bypassed the binding posts.  Also damped the cabinets a bit.  Much cleaner sound than stock Lores.  But the DW are still at another level.

I would note that I tried the DW Clarity upgrade, and it's definitely worth the money, but I then substituted Miflex KPCU caps instead of the Clarity's and could never go back to the Clarity's.  Clarity's are very cost effective, but those DW tweeters just get smoother and more natural sounding the better the caps you can put on them.  I see Zu now offers Jupiters as a further upgrade beyond the Clarity's.  After trying the Miflex, I'd say if you're not willing to DIY, I'd recommend the Jupiters over the Clarity's, even for the extra cost.

Yes, I'm continuing to invest in other areas of my system, and am happy that the Zu will continue to grow with the rest of the system.  That said, it's because I can live with the fundamental limitations that the Zu have.  They're certainly not perfect.  Beaming upper mids, smallish sweet spot.  But with no crossover until around 10Khz, you're getting unbridled microdynamics that speakers with crossovers pretty much can't convey.  And with high enough quality caps on the tweeter, you really and truly escape that "pro audio" sound completely.

I agree with the refrain on this thread that you really cannot do better for $1K.  That said, if I get back to making money again after law school, I will be quite interested to hear the latest Spatial and GR Research options, which both have me salivating.  And for some reason the Crites Type D and the Volti Razz are now entering my curious dreamscape.

The clarity cap upgrade is for sure worth it in my opinion as well. I’ve owned the normal ones and the clarity cap ones and there is a notable difference. I saw that Jupiter cap upgrade, I wonder how much more of a difference that makes?  And the Miflex KPCU caps? Where do you get them and how much are they? I wonder if ZU would just do it for me?

Freo-1

« Reply #202 on: 18 Jul 2020, 11:46 pm »
Jupiter caps suck for amp usage.  I had them installed in a pair of mono tube amps, and they wound up leaking like a civ. Replaced them with Mundorf silver/gold, and no more issues.  They sound better as well.

seikosha

« Reply #203 on: 19 Jul 2020, 03:22 pm »
Jupiter caps suck for amp usage.  I had them installed in a pair of mono tube amps, and they wound up leaking like a civ. Replaced them with Mundorf silver/gold, and no more issues.  They sound better as well.

Interesting because for years the Jupiter beeswax caps have been standard on Decware amps and I’ve never heard any issues about leaking.  Which Jupiters did you have installed?

AvsFan

« Reply #204 on: 19 Jul 2020, 04:34 pm »
Interesting because for years the Jupiter beeswax caps have been standard on Decware amps and I’ve never heard any issues about leaking.  Which Jupiters did you have installed?

I too would like to know. Had a Decware amp in the past with no issues.

Freo-1

« Reply #205 on: 19 Jul 2020, 08:19 pm »
Decware amps are low powered. The amps in question uses .22uf coupling caps for a pair of 8552 output tubes.  In this design,  a pair of 8552 puts out roughly 80 to 90 watts.  They simply couldn't handle the load. Swapped them out with Mundorf. 22uf Silver/Gold  caps.  The amps sound immediately improved,  and has had no issues since changing the caps out. 

A good friend of mine who makes custom tube amps for customers also agree that Jupiter caps for power amps are a poor choice.  They also have very flimsy leads that break off easily. 

genjamon

« Reply #206 on: 19 Jul 2020, 09:15 pm »
I had a 1uF Jupiter in my tube preamp where the lead broke off in shipping. So I bought a set of 2.2uF Jupiter’s to replace them both, but after a few months one of the Jupiter’s started passing DC. I have since replaced with Miflex and am a happy camper. Miflex is a different signature than the Jupiter, and Jupiter might be slightly more my sound preference, but the Miflex have their own strengths, are more cost effective, and hopefully more reliable.

FWIW, the VH Audio ODAM are now on the second set of outputs on that preamp and make the Miflex sound slow and muffled in comparison. I’m gonna put some Duelund tinned copper bypass caps on those ODAM to give them just a touch more warmth, and see how much more transparent they can get too.

I also would now like to try swapping out the ODAM for the Miflex caps in my Zu DW’s, and maybe with Duelund bypass caps too. But that’s a lower priority, as I don’t see the Miflex in the DWs as the weak link for quite some time.

Someone previously asked where I buy my caps. I shop with Soniccraft, Parts Connexion, VH Audio directly, Parts Express, and some of the other obvious big bulk online electronic parts retailers.

Jon L

« Reply #207 on: 20 Jul 2020, 11:47 pm »
Are we talking about Jupiter copper foil caps or Jupiter HT weewax caps? 
I don't know if wattage is the issue, per se, but higher power usually means higher temperature, and both Jupiters are rated to 80 degrees C only. 
They should not be placed in hot areas, especially near naked tubes.

genjamon

« Reply #208 on: 21 Jul 2020, 12:14 am »
Mine were the copper foil.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Vandersteen 2Ce
« Reply #209 on: 21 Jul 2020, 10:42 pm »
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers.  I've heard Vandersteen speakers before, but not the 2Ce.  Has anyone here heard them?  Even better if anyone's heard them driven by Cherry amps.

The list price is close....  about 10% over target.  I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore.

mick wolfe

« Reply #210 on: 21 Jul 2020, 11:47 pm »
Considering some of the parameters you've listed and a $3K budget, I'd give the Klipsch Heresy 4's a listen.

mick wolfe

« Reply #211 on: 22 Jul 2020, 12:03 am »
Forgot to add that there's a thorough and extremely positive review of the Heresy 4 by Steve Huff at his website. (stevehuffphoto.com)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #212 on: 22 Jul 2020, 05:08 am »
Forgot to add that there's a thorough and extremely positive review of the Heresy 4 by Steve Huff at his website. (stevehuffphoto.com)
The full link:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/klipsch-heresy-iii-speaker-review-im-floored-and-here-is-why/

mick wolfe

« Reply #213 on: 22 Jul 2020, 04:54 pm »
The full link:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/klipsch-heresy-iii-speaker-review-im-floored-and-here-is-why/

Yes, that's his Heresy III review from a few years back. The Heresy 4 review is up on his site now. FWIW, I have the Heresy III supplemented with 2 HSU subs and have no desire to upgrade. If I were starting from square one though, the Heresy 4 would be my first stop.

WGH

« Reply #214 on: 22 Jul 2020, 08:21 pm »
The Volti Audio Razz speaker review is online at Stereophile
https://www.stereophile.com/content/volti-audio-razz-loudspeaker

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #215 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:06 am »
Yes, that's his Heresy III review from a few years back. The Heresy 4 review is up on his site now. FWIW, I have the Heresy III supplemented with 2 HSU subs and have no desire to upgrade. If I were starting from square one though, the Heresy 4 would be my first stop.
What's the link for the new one (searched but didn't find it)?

WGH

« Reply #217 on: 23 Jul 2020, 01:11 am »
Since we're talking about horns, Steve Guttenberg has a two part interview with Klipsch's Roy Delgado, horn designer extraordinaire, posted 7/18/2020

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg

AvsFan

« Reply #218 on: 27 Jul 2020, 12:58 am »

Okay, okay, just a tad over the $3000 limit. Who's counting the extra $1649?  :D

I just ordered a pair. But got a smoking deal from Sean that puts is a lot closer to the $3000 mark. I got B-Stock prices on some Hickory, Rustic Black cabinets that had the slightest scratch on one side that you really can't even notice. He had to hit the picture in the right light and angle just to get it to show up. Of course all drivers and wiring will be brand new, just the one cabinet got scratched while being finished. He took $949 off the price just for that! So $3700 for these speakers. Easily the most I have ever spent on any piece of audio equipment but I am just doing it and not looking back. Everything about this speaker is ridiculous. And from the people I have talked to that have heard them said that if I love the Dirty Weekends, well get ready to be absolutely blown away.   

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #219 on: 21 Aug 2020, 04:39 am »
I wanted to briefly chime in on the break-in process on my Tekton Electron SE speakers. These came around alot faster than my Enzo XLs did. Although I enjoyed their process, these SE are sounding super sweet now, and really do show the difference in price between the two. Not rushing them tho ..... its simply a hours of time with music to get everything stretched and loosened up that makes the difference. How can anyone listen to a brand new pair of speakers, and then after a few hours decide they dont care for them ??

These my friends are keepers and the finest speakers I"ve owned to date! At the  $3000.00 price point this thread was started upon do not think can be beat. More to come once they are properly set-up and settled.