NX-Center Channel

BrandonB

NX-Center Channel
« on: 4 Mar 2023, 09:58 pm »
A few months back I seen a post about a center channel flat pack being designed and built.  Just checking on the progress.

bhassel

Re: NX-Center Channel
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2023, 03:18 am »
The newest center channel so far is here (not an NX though):

Introducing: The Versatile X CS Bravo! HD 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtzcXcVGnI

Bob

BrandonB

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2023, 03:23 am »
The newest center channel so far is here (not an NX though):

Introducing: The Versatile X CS Bravo! HD 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtzcXcVGnI

Bob

I seen that but they are was also working on a flatpack for a NX-Otica center channel.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2023, 04:59 am »
No updates.
Still waiting on the prototype to arrive for us to design a crossover.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2023, 06:20 am »
It's finished, fits like a glove, need to get it in a box,

Life has gotten in the way,

Don

cjsailer

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2023, 12:46 pm »
Thanks for the update Don!

cjsailer

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2023, 04:10 am »
Any new updates for the NX Center project?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2023, 03:13 pm »
Not Currently.

The 16ohm NQ woofers require a sealed airspace of roughly 5.25 cubit-feet of air, per woofer, and putting two of them into a tiny airspace, say a bit larger than an X-CS, will severely mess with their low end response.
So if we pursue it, it will require custom NQ woofers that are suited for a much smaller airspace.

As for the larger, Otica center. We still need to design/build a stand to hold the test cabinet so we can design the network.

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2023, 08:58 pm »
At first I wanted a GR center as well to match my mains, but found after purchasing GR speakers it was not needed and sold my center channels. They image so well, at least in my room and my set up I felt the center channel took away from the sound and appreciate the imaging from stereo mains more versus a center reproducing the dialogue. I know that doesn't help the OP, but thought I would throw that out there in case someone is considering a center like I was and after some trial and error decided it was not needed.

cjsailer

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2023, 10:51 pm »
Thanks Hobbs.  I didn't realize you were considering a couple of designs for the NX center.  I had thought it was an open baffle design, so I think that was the NX Otica center you mentioned?  Anyway hope it comes to fruition one day.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2023, 10:55 pm »
Thanks Hobbs.  I didn't realize you were considering a couple of designs for the NX center.  I had thought it was an open baffle design, so I think that was the NX Otica center you mentioned?  Anyway hope it comes to fruition one day.

We've looked at both options, but for now, the only possible option is the Otica-style open baffle center, we have the first test cabinet we just need a stand for it with the 10 degree slant of the cabinet built in.

cjsailer

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2023, 10:56 pm »
I've tried phantom centers and they can certainly work in some scenarios.  But I do like a discrete center speaker for vocals with multi-channel content.

At first I wanted a GR center as well to match my mains, but found after purchasing GR speakers it was not needed and sold my center channels. They image so well, at least in my room and my set up I felt the center channel took away from the sound and appreciate the imaging from stereo mains more versus a center reproducing the dialogue. I know that doesn't help the OP, but thought I would throw that out there in case someone is considering a center like I was and after some trial and error decided it was not needed.

VinceT

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2023, 07:32 pm »
Would it be a big deal to drop a Neo 3 and redesign a X over in the X-Voice center? It would essentially be an X static with a neo tweeter which was an option in the past.

https://gr-research.com/product/x-voce-kit/

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2023, 08:27 pm »
The X-Statik design with a Neo 3 was a different speaker altogether, the OB-5, which used M130s and the Neo 3 PDRW with deep back cup.
But the original BG faceplates are no longer available, so new ones would need to be designed or use the same waveguide in a thick baffle.

The X-Voce idea could work, keeping with standard M165s, but it might be a bit too big for studio use, but maybe a halfway with just a sealed MTM design could work well enough as a place to start.