NX-Treme for surround system?

Megahz21

• 4 Ever Learning.
NX-Treme for surround system?
« on: 22 Jan 2023, 02:16 am »
Hello all, I am a newbie to the forums.  :popcorn:
I am an old school Audio guy who use to Design and Build Enclosures, Design Rooms, Systems and Install min 10k plus systems in Auto, Jet-Plains, Yachts, ect. I was considered Hi-End in my day.. Now days I am disabled and am keeping happy enjoying fiddling and playing with my home system on a small budget.   

All my speakers are poopoo.  :oops: :(

I have a pair of Klipsch RF-82 II for left and right, an SVS Ultra tower for the center and really good mb quarts 6.5s and MTX TXC6.1 out of my car system from the 90s for my rear surrounds and rear hights that I made cabinets for. the MTX and MB Quarts are the best things in the system. funny I know but its what I have. I enjoy most of it, but I don't know how much longer I can handle the Klipsch RF-82 II because they stinky BAD in every way!!
I love my Electronics, Marantz 8805 13.3ch, and Denon class A/B POA-6600A 350watt Monoblock's all the way around.
forte 1a class A used sometimes for just stereo..
Room is 30' wide 20' deep

I have been thinking of the NX-Treme for my left and right.
My Question is:
How do you think the open baffle's will work out in a 7.2 or bigger surround system?

Again Hello everyone, Thanks for all your responses'!

Oscillate

Re: NX-Treme for surround system?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2023, 10:48 am »
"Room is 30' wide 20' deep"

Good sized room :) ...How high is the ceiling?
What construction materials are your wall, flooring and ceiling made of?
Can you pull the speakers 'into' the room a few feet?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2023, 04:41 pm »
I have a "baby bear" version of the NX-Treme/OB servo sub combo (pictured in my avatar) and they work extremely well in a surround sound system. One difference is that I don't use a center channel speaker. The open baffle speakers image so well and are so clean that a center channel is not needed. Also, there is no center channel speaker that is anywhere close to the performance of the OB speakers so adding one only pulls the performance down.

When I say they image well I mean better than any center channel speaker I have had. If a person talking is in the center of the screen , their voice comes from the center, if they are off to the left, their voice comes from the left and the same for the right. The voice always sounds like it is coming from the person talking. The clarity is such that there is no smearing or overlapping. With these OB speakers, the phantom center is superior to any center speaker I've heard.

Hafgrim

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2023, 12:37 am »
Audiophile junkie, on youtube uses his for surround sound.

Megahz21

• 4 Ever Learning.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2023, 10:16 pm »
@Oscillate
Ooops I meant 20' wide 30'deep and only 8.5' tall flat celling.
The room is actually open to 45' deep but there is a thick support beam that's 2' from celling and 2'on sides.

My days of building isolated rooms are long gone, its a standard room construction drywall with 2x4s 18"centers screwed to the rock, I think the insulation is a piece of tin foil. I am just happy the room is tight and doesn't rattle or buzz..

Yes, my speakers are currently towed in 4' from front and 4'from walls.

@mlundy57
I am unable click on your avatar pic yet as I am to new and the forums and it wont let me view-enlarged till I do three posts.
yes, its amazing how well imaging can be with only 2 speakers. my current setup has real good imaging in 2 CH the stage is pretty wide and vocals and instruments pop thru where they should.

My worry is with open baffle that it will smear the center when going thru a processor with 5.1+-atmos with a center. like you said-and "I think you gave me response I needed to hear"  :wink: :thumb:is that the open baffle will mess with the imaging when there is a center channel present and pull the performance down.

@Hafgrim
I already watch and enjoy Audiophile junkie's video's and didn't realize/remember his doing it surround.. I will have to checkout his setup more. If I remember right he has a lot packed into small room. wow!

So, THANK YOU!! You all helped! :thumb: :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2023, 11:03 pm »
Here is a better look at them

Megahz21

• 4 Ever Learning.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2023, 12:17 am »
They look GR8!

Thanks for posing!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2023, 12:19 am »
@Oscillate
Ooops I meant 20' wide 30'deep and only 8.5' tall flat celling.
The room is actually open to 45' deep but there is a thick support beam that's 2' from celling and 2'on sides.

My days of building isolated rooms are long gone, its a standard room construction drywall with 2x4s 18"centers screwed to the rock, I think the insulation is a piece of tin foil. I am just happy the room is tight and doesn't rattle or buzz..

Yes, my speakers are currently towed in 4' from front and 4'from walls.

@mlundy57
I am unable click on your avatar pic yet as I am to new and the forums and it wont let me view-enlarged till I do three posts.
yes, its amazing how well imaging can be with only 2 speakers. my current setup has real good imaging in 2 CH the stage is pretty wide and vocals and instruments pop thru where they should.

My worry is with open baffle that it will smear the center when going thru a processor with 5.1+-atmos with a center. like you said-and "I think you gave me response I needed to hear"  :wink: :thumb:is that the open baffle will mess with the imaging when there is a center channel present and pull the performance down.

@Hafgrim
I already watch and enjoy Audiophile junkie's video's and didn't realize/remember his doing it surround.. I will have to checkout his setup more. If I remember right he has a lot packed into small room. wow!

So, THANK YOU!! You all helped! :thumb: :thumb:

What I was saying is the center channel pulls the performance of the open baffle speakers down, not the other way around.

With a surround sound processor, the center channel speaker is set to none. That’s how I have my HT processor set up

Megahz21

• 4 Ever Learning.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2023, 04:46 am »
Thanks for clarifying.
Nice info here too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKTlusCP7RY

Vince in TX

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2023, 03:09 pm »
... Also, there is no center channel speaker that is anywhere close to the performance of the OB speakers so adding one only pulls the performance down.

Sure there is.   It's an open-baffle center channel.    :thumb:

bhassel

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2023, 05:37 pm »
Here is a better look at them

asdf

Dang Hobbs, that looks great! What is it?

Bob

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2023, 09:00 pm »
That's our old NX-MTM sitting con a pair of double subs.
Basically just the upper section of the NX-Otica.
We don't offer it as a kit anymore, as we have plans for a design with three 8" subs instead.
It will be a single tower rather than a 2-piece setup.

BrandonB

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2023, 12:11 am »
That's our old NX-MTM sitting con a pair of double subs.
Basically just the upper section of the NX-Otica.
We don't offer it as a kit anymore, as we have plans for a design with three 8" subs instead.
It will be a single tower rather than a 2-piece setup.

Have you and Danny gotten a design figured out for the eight inch woofer.  Can you tell us more Pleeeaassse?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2023, 12:43 am »
We're still working on it and He's given me some ideas for how we can address the wider baffle, but heres the starting design I've done in SketchUp.
It will still be similar to the Otica, but wider with 3 subs instead of 4 woofers.

Ill be tweaking the design further until we get something were happy with.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2023, 01:28 am »
We're still working on it and He's given me some ideas for how we can address the wider baffle, but heres the starting design I've done in SketchUp.
It will still be similar to the Otica, but wider with 3 subs instead of 4 woofers.

Oh that's going to be very cool.  With this I assume you won't need the separate 12" sub stack like you do with the current NX-Oticas, is that correct?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2023, 01:36 am »
Oh that's going to be very cool.  With this I assume you won't need the separate 12" sub stack like you do with the current NX-Oticas, is that correct?

Yup, it's intended for those with limited space, where separate tower's aren't possible. Similar to Mike's MTM+ dual sub towers, but with a more cohesive look from top to bottom.

BrandonB

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2023, 02:03 am »

Will the 8's be servo controlled?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2023, 02:22 am »
Will the 8's be servo controlled?
Yup

BrandonB

« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2023, 11:39 pm »

So I am curious what the difference would be in the sound of the NX-Otica's with subs and This new design.  Do you think they will have as good of soundstage and imaging?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2023, 11:51 pm »
She sound will be similar to the NX-Otica down to about 150Hz where the subs will begin to take over.

This design will have a larger round-over on the upper section to allow them to image just as well as the original design, the above design is a rough first-draft.
I'm still tweaking this cabinet to get the design were looking for.

I've already spread the 3 subwoofers further apart in the current draft to give them space for round overs, the design will likely need some additional bracing, as well as a few other tweaks design ideas to implement some of the other ideas we're considering.